Sequel: Angel's Child

Golden Angel

Chapter 52

The tea was calming, warming her hands as she nursed the fragile cup.

Looking up at the two mutants through a veil of gold/red hair, Kasai couldn’t help a smile.

It was relaxing in this room, like a bundle of peace and quiet wrapped up in warm kindness, and she enjoyed it.

“I can not tell you how nice it is to be among friends.” Leatherhead admitted as his tea was poured.

“Master Splinter, your hospitality knows no bounds.”

“You both are welcome to live here with us, Leatherhead. As long as you wish.”

The doors slid open, and it caught everyone’s attention.

“Leatherhead, can you help me practice my sparring?”

“Hey, LH, can you help me with this hydro-compressor me and Mizu are working on?”

“Croc-man, wrestle rematch, no holds bar!”

“Big guy, the new issue just came out! I’ll let you read it!”

SMACK!!!

SMACK!!!

SMACK!!!

BONK!!!

“OW!!!!!” The four brothers whined, turning.

“Can’t you give the poor croc some breathing room?” Artemis scolded like a mother, hands on her hips.

“Give him a tea break at LEAST.” Mizu reasoned.

“You’re asking too much of him at once.”

“So leave ‘im alone an’ get yer shells o’er ‘ere!”

Chi grabbed Mikey’s mask tails, yanking him back so he whined.

He was cut off by a kiss, and the Earthbender smiled teasingly at his befuddled look.

“As you can see, we all enjoy your company.” Splinter stated, smiling slightly at Leatherhead.

“Perhaps a little TOO much…”

Artemis nodded, smiling as she took hold of Leo’s hand.

“We’re pretty clingy, huh?”

Leatherhead moved to stand, and the unmistakable sound of breaking porcelain caught his attention.

Looking down, he realized he’d broken his tea cup accidentally, and Kasai was already standing to help him.

He tried to apologize, but his tail seemed to have a mind of its own, breaking the tea pot.

“I’m sorry! I-I didn’t mean to!”

“Just like a giant croc in a china shop.”

Raph’s comment seemed to anger the crocodile, whose eyes narrowed to slits.

“That is not funny! I did not mean to break it!”

“Whoa! Leatherhead, I was just jokin’!”

“Everything is not a joke! I am not a joke! I AM NOT A JOKE!”

In his rage, he busted through the slightly-opened doors, and everyone moved out of his way.

“Uh…Is it me, or did Leatherhead overreact just a little bit?”

All seven teens were surprised by a stern glare from Kasai, who seemed disappointed or hurt, before the girl went off after the giant crocodile.

Mizu felt bad for Leatherhead, and shared a glance with Artemis before following.

Chi felt the emotions rather well, and sighed, walking after the other girls.

The turtles weren’t far behind, and the whole group found Leatherhead hunched over on the floor, guilty.

The Firebender moved to his side, a small hand on his shoulder.

“L-Leatherhead…”

“I’m sorry…”

Raph came up, after much coaxing and a nice whisper-loud threat from both Artemis and Chi about ripping off his shell and mounting it on their bedroom wall if he didn’t try to make peace.

“LH…I’m sorry, big guy…I didn’t mean ta-.”

“No, friend…I am sorry…My temper has only gotten worse thanks to my time in Agent Bishop’s hold…”

“It’s ‘kay, I understand.” Raph assured.

“Ya know, some guys think I got a problem keepin’ my cool.”

“Yeah, you do, Raph. But Leatherhead was like a raging wolverine with-!”

SMACK!!!

SMACK!!!

BONK!!!

“OW!!!!!!!!”

Mikey pouted at his older brother, his sister, and his girlfriend.

“Shut UP, Mikey. You’re not helping.” The jade-skinned she-turtle scolded.

Mizu even bopped him gently on the arm, joining Kasai closer.

“I seem to have no control over it…”

Kasai gently took hold of Leatherhead’s snout, taking hold of his attention as well.

“No one blames you…I couldn’t have suspected that you’d leave that place without baggage…”

“I know…”

The large crocodile put whatever he was holding down, and lifted the thin girl into his arms.

He had taken an almost fatherly position in her life, and was used to comforting her after nightmares.

Sometimes, though he never admitted it, just holding her like that calmed him down.

Mizu was on his other side, and both together seemed to calm the storm inside him.

The Waterbender’s presence probably helped because of her calm element, but the fiery-haired girl seemed different from her own.

She seemed in…control of her anger, of her more hot emotions, unlike any fire he’d known.

He’d only seen her lose control once, and it had been worse than his own temper…

“Everything’s going to be alright, Leatherhead…” Artemis assured, feeling empathetic, which caused Leo to join in.

“We’ll work through it.”

“Everything’s going to be just fine.” Don added.

“Except for the tea pot…”

SMACK!!!

WHIP!!!

BONK!!!

“OW!!! Why are you all ganging up on me?!” Mikey complained, pouting at the three girls.

Kasai giggled at the glares he received from them, and snuggled against Leatherhead’s chest.

The broken tea cup, pieced together carefully, was held gingerly in the crocodile’s palm.

Taking it from his just as carefully, the gold/red-haired girl smiled wider.

Raph seemed silent as he watched, enjoying the smile on her face.

It wasn’t shy or scared, like before, but open.

Something in him said he wanted to make her smile like that for him…

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Kasai woke up to the darkened lair, wondering why she’d been dragged from such rare, pleasant dreams…

She doubted she’d admit the dream involved a certain sai-wielding turtle, and sat up.

Her bed, a worn-out featherbed still soft as a cloud, molded into her body as sleepy gold eyes looked around.

‘What’s that noise?’

Starting to wake up, she realized Artemis was also up, looking around in a confused, sleepy state.

“A-Artemis?”

“I-I think someone’s having a nightmare…” The jade-skinned turtle slurred, bandana on her table and showing her cloudy crimson eyes.

Mizu was shifting now, and Chi rolled over, covering her ears in order to go back to sleep.

She didn’t want to feel any fear, any helplessness, so late at night, when someone knocked timidly on the door.

Artemis managed to get up and open the door, frowning a bit at Mikey, blankie clutched to his chest.

“Mikey? What’s wrong? Nightmare?”

“Not me…I think it’s Leatherhead…”

Kasai stood up, sleep vanishing from her eyes like clouds moving out of the sun’s way to shed light.

Mizu’s eyes shined like the full moon, no longer tired, and followed suit.

“You two can stay and sleep.” Mizu stated, heading out the door after the Firebender.

“Mikey, you can stay here. We just want to make sure he’s alright.”

With that said, the blue-eyed girl shut the door on the three and followed the gold/red-haired girl to the living room.

Mitsukai, reins tied to a column to keep her from trashing the kitchen, was bristling and restless from Leatherhead’s nightmare.

Kasai jumped down and walked carefully to the large croc’s side, putting a hand on his snout.

“Leatherhead? Wake up. Are you alright?”

His eyes snapped open with a snarl, pupils narrow glowing slits, and her eyes widened.

“Leatherhead-?”

He grabbed her roughly by the arm, already getting up, and Mizu was knocked onto her back by his powerful tail.

“LEATHERHEAD!!”

The Firebender was smacked into a column, a large hand over her stomach and chest, not allowing air to reenter her lungs.

“L-Leatherhead…” She forced out, his snarls still loud, booming in her ears…

Mizu seemed to have hit her head on the fall, and was too dazed to help…

Kasai hardly registered when she was lifted into the air, but thanked the dragons that taught her art for fresh air.

“Leatherhead, don’t-!”

Her back smacked into the brick floor, and there was a loud crack before her vision blurred…

Leatherhead’s victory roar made her head throb dully, and her eyes closed as blackness swept over her…

“KASAI!” Raph shouted, seeing her limp form on the ground.

“MIZU!!!”

Don ran to his girl’s side, lifting her up, glad to see her eyes were still slightly open.

“Sweetheart, are you alright?”

“I…I think so…Wh…What abou…Kasai…?”

The red-banded turtle was already kneeling by her side, lifting the fragile-looking girl up softly.

“Kasai?”

Chi stumbled out of the crowded room, following Mikey’s tugs as she sleepily walked, and the orange-banded turtle followed his sister.

Artemis’s eyes widened as Leatherhead seemed to calm down, realizing what he’d done.

“Leatherhead…”

Leo came up behind her, fully alert, and grabbed her hand.

“What…?”

“I don’t…”

Leatherhead’s eyes seemed fixed on the girl’s unmoving face, still and seemingly lifeless.

Her chest didn’t move with breathes, her throat didn’t seem to pulse from her heartbeat…

“What have I done? What have I-?”

Chi was confused.

‘What does ‘e think ‘e did?’

“Kasai…No! I’m sorry! I’m so sorry!”

Splinter joined them, and motioned for no one to move.

“Leatherhead, what happened?”

“I’m a monster…a horrible monster…”

“You’re…You’re not…” Mizu tried to contradict, but she was so TIRED…

“Get back! All of you! Stay away from me! I’m not safe!”

He ran, and was gone out into the sewers as Raph looked down at the pale girl’s face.

“Come on, Kasai…Don’t ya dare go…Not like this…Just say somethin’…”

“…I-I’m sorry…”

They locked eyes, though she still seemed in pain.

“F-For scaring you…”

“There’s nothin’ ta apologize fer…”

Standing up, he helped her stand once Mizu got back her balance and strength.

“Will someone please tell me what is going on?” Splinter questioned.

“I think he was having a nightmare…He went berserk the moment he woke up.” Mizu started, rubbing her head.

“Where is he?” Kasai asked, keeping from leaning on Raph too much.

“He disappeared into the sewers.” Artemis stated.

“I think ‘E thinks ‘e…Um…” Chi started, awkward.

“He thinks he killed you.” The jade-skinned turtle finished, her heart tightening in empathy.

“W-We have to find him…”

Kasai fought for her balance, and moved for the door purposefully.

“Ya can’t!” Raph objected, worried for her.

“Yer still ‘urt.”

The Firebender stopped at the doorway, hand on the doorframe to keep herself steady.

“…I-I promised him I wouldn’t leave him to his demons…”

Her voice stopped shaking, and they saw the fire start curling around her fingers.

“…I won’t break that promise to him…when he’s never broken it to me…”

A gentle hand was on the girl’s shoulder, and she looked back at Artemis’s reassuring smile.

“I’m going with you. No one deserves to be alone like that.”

“If that’s how it’s gonna be…I’m goin’ too.” Chi admitted.

Mizu nodded, but Don insisted she stay behind.

“Besides, maybe LH will come back. You and sensei will be alright either way.”

“…Be careful. There are parts of his nature that he can no longer control.”

Mikey nodded, and turned to Chi.

“Hey, babe…Would you mind…staying back here?”

“Why?”

“…Well, if Leatherhead DOES come back, they’ll need you…”

Her eyes narrowed as if studying him, and eventually she conceded.

“Oh, a’right…But ya SO owe me…”

“Got it, babe.”

The group headed out along the sewer tunnels, and Kasai, already feeling her strength returning, insisted on speeding up the pace.

“We’ll go on ahead.” Artemis suggested.

“I can sense any traps, and she can probably track Leatherhead better. We’ll be fine, and if there’s any trouble, I have my Shell Cell.”

Leo hesitantly agreed, and they shared a short kiss before they parted.

“Careful, love…”

“I will be…”

Kasai was fast, and Artemis had to work to keep up with the girl.

“I knew you were fast…but not THIS fast…”

“Th-There are some things I don’t talk about…”

“I understand…”

Explosion…

“…Bet you fifty bucks it was somehow Mikey’s fault…”

The Firebender gave a smile back at the she-turtle.

“Y-You’re on. B-Bet you fifty it was Leo.”

“OH, I’m SO in!”

The gold-eyed girl stopped, looking around for a moment.

Fire sparked on her fingers, and she breathed out steadily, steam escaping her.

“There are other tracks…”

Artemis nodded, noticing the footprints.

“Someone’s tracking Leatherhead…And probably wants to play for keeps.”

Avoiding booby-traps and lasers and nets, the two girls grew increasingly worried for Leatherhead.

He was hurt, being hunted, and, possibly, suicidal.

‘I hope he doesn’t believe in the whole ‘a life for a life’ thing…’

Stopping at the edge of the ‘light’, only rays that managed to pierce the darkness from above, the pair looked around.

“Seems clear-.”

Kasai was cut off by the she-turtle’s hand, and crimson eyes narrowed as they adjusted to the gloom.

“We’re not alone…”

Her voice was soft, little more than a gentle breath, but it caused air to catch in the other girl’s throat.

The jade-skinned turtle moved forward silently, not disturbing the ground under her feet, like a summer breeze, as she slipped into the darkness.

Water rippled softly as it was lifted into the air…

A gunshot, like crack of thunder, and Kasai ran forward, panic making her heart race.

‘ARTEMIS?!’

A cry of pain, male, and a pained grunt of effort, as the gold-eyed girl lit up the darkness with fire on her fingertips.

The crimson-eyed turtle had a hole in her arm, a bloody dart in her fist, as she faced the Australian bounty hunter and his little robot friend.

“You basturd…” Artemis growled, flinching slightly in pain and hissing through her teeth.

“What did you do to Leatherhead?”

“Don’t worry about that, sunshine. He’ll be mounted on my wall soon enough.”

A spark, and the fire around her fingers flared blue, breathing flames across her palm as Kasai growled.

“Basturd…”

Artemis was surprised by the normally-timid girl’s behavior as blue flames slid over the other hand.

“How could you do that to him?”

A ball of fire narrowly missed his head…

“He didn’t deserve that!!”

The flames wouldn’t be subdued, and her eyes were fiery as she raised her hands.

“HOW COULD YOU!?!”

Another gunshot, but the dart was burned to ashes before it got to the fuming girl.

Obviously scared for his life, the hunter ran, probably to try and bag the ‘easier prey’.

Kasai panted as the fire died around her, and realization and guilt filled her eyes.

“Oh God…I-I…I-I did i-it again…”

Artemis brought water up to her hand, healing her wound as she held back the urge to barf.

“It’s alright, Kasai…”

“N-No, it’s n-not!” The younger girl admitted, tears in her eyes.

“E-Every time I-I lose c-control, I h-hurt someone!”

The gold-banded turtle put a hand on the girl’s shoulder, gaining eye contact as tears overflowed.

“You were defending me, and no one got hurt…”

Wiping away the tears, Artemis felt like she was comforting Mikey again after the ‘Mr. Fishy’ incident…

He’d cried for DAYS until she insisted that the poor goldfish was in a better place…

“I don’t blame you, and you have nothing to be guilty over.”

Nodding a bit, the Firebender closed her eyes, trying to rub away the wet tears.

“Come on, then.”

The she-turtle offered her shell to climb up on, and Kasai looked at her curiously.

“You rest up. I know how much that kind of stuff drains you.”

After a moment of thought, the Firebender clambered onto the rough shell, clinging as Artemis secured her and continued their walk.

She felt…safe there, and warm…

Gold eyes fluttered halfway closed, and she rested her head on the turtle’s shoulder.

Artemis smiled warmly, more like a sister seeing her younger sibling start to sleep while complaining of not being tired, before focusing her eyes back on the fading tracks.

Kasai hadn’t felt this safe or warm since she was a child, and didn’t want to let go.

Warmth and kindness were something she’d been starved of for years, and she clung to it like threads.

To have this kind of attention reminded her of a word, maybe ‘friend’, but she’d always heard that friends ‘come and go’ or some such thing.

But the turtles, Leatherhead, the other girls, and Splinter shouldn’t be a temporary time in her life.

She wanted to stay in that warm, strange, happy family forever.

So that’s what they’d be.

Family.

Sisters and brothers and father.

It warmed her heart with something other than anger, like what she felt when she was close to Raph.

Artemis stopped, smiling a bit.

“Hey, guys. Miss us?”

“ARTIE!”

Mikey hugged her around the waist like he’d almost died and was lucky to see her again…

“…I’m guessing this is because of that explosion we heard…”

“Yep…” Don answered, prying his younger brother off.

“…Who did it?” The jade-skinned turtle questioned, setting her friend down on her feet.

Raph smirked.

“Ol’ Fearless Leader ‘ere stepped on a land mine.”

“…F****…”

Handing over fifty bucks, she gave a mock-angry look as Kasai smiled, pocketing the cash.

Leo glared at his love for the language, but was still confused.

“What was that?”

“I bet Kasai fifty bucks it was Mikey…She bet ME fifty bucks it was YOU…Thanks, love…”

Something seemed to click in her head…

“YOU STEPPED ON A LAND MINE!?!”

“Love, it’s alright-!”

“HOW DID YOU NOT SEE A LAND MINE!?!”

In order to cut off her yelling, Leo pulled her into a kiss, and she almost instantly relaxed.

“Now that you’re done with that…” He breathed, pulling away.

“We still need to move…”

Nodding, she shook the dazed look from her face and stepped back, turning to the red lasers.

Don threw a rock to test them, and the resulting destruction of said rock made everyone jump in surprise.

“Just one wrong move…”

“And it’s Turtle Flambé!”

SMACK!!!

“OW!!! ARTIE…”

“Couldn’t be any worse than Big-Feet Leo ‘a the Land Mines.”

Raph snickered.

Glare…

“…Just kiddin’, bro…”

Kasai stepped forward first, and breathed deeply before jumping through.

She was fast and flexible, bending around the red lines and jumping over walls of crimson until she landed gracefully on the other side.

“…You GO, girl!” Mikey and his sister cheered, and the gold/red-haired girl blushed, long
hair falling over her face shyly.

“Th-Thanks…”

Leo went next, going through without a scratch, and Artemis rolled her eyes at Raph’s “Show-off…”

Smiling teasingly at her brothers, she stretched her arms over her head.

“Ready to get your butts beat by a girl again, boys?”

“Like shell ya can!” Raph challenged.

In a flash, both were weaving through the lasers, and, as always, the gold-banded she-turtle came out on the other side first.

“HA! Told ya!”

Raph grumbled something good-naturedly, smirking, as Mikey and Don followed after them.

Moving to the end of the tunnel, they looked down at a drainage junction, Leatherhead tied up and suspended over a whirlpool by a bridge.

“Leatherhead?”

“What the shell?”

Kasai was just relieved that he was alive, but worried now.

Was he alright?

Was he hurt?

Scared?

“Come on! We gotta get ‘em down from there!” Raph stated stubbornly.

The six teens jumped down onto the bridge, and Kasai tried to shrug off the uncomfortable feeling of being surrounded by water.

Artemis paused as the others proceeded to bring Leatherhead up.

‘Why do I get the feeling we’re being…watched?’

Something flashed, and she jumped forward, grabbing Mikey and pulling back.

A yellow laser narrowly missed his head, and she growled.

“That damn hunter…”

The four brothers started up, Leo ordering the girls to pull Leatherhead up as they dealt with the gun-wielding Australian.

More shots were fired as Artemis grabbed hold of the rope, straining all her muscles to pull the large crocodile up.

Kasai joined her, but Leatherhead was too heavy for them.

A stray blast hit the rope, and the jade-skinned turtle immediately dived into the swirling water after the croc.

“ARTEMIS!!!!!!!”

The water surrounded her in chaotic torrents, but she managed to make an air-bubble around herself to breathe as she grabbed hold of the large mutant.

The fan tried to pull them in, but she managed to Waterbend enough to pull them towards the surface.

Mikey, Raph, and Don broke through the surface, helping her tug him along.

Leo soon joined them, and Kasai, as Don jammed the fan’s whirling blades with his Bo staff.

The whirlpool slowed and ebbed before anyone surfaced, and Artemis used a large amount of water to lift them back onto dry land like a hand.

Once the water returned to its rightful place, the she-turtle tried to stop that sleepy feeling.

She’d still lost blood from that dart, and gotten some sedatives into her bloodstream, so she was beginning to feel their combined affects.

Leo cut the rope free of the reptile’s skin, and Kasai was at the croc’s head, trying to awaken him.

“Leatherhead? Come on, Leatherhead. Are you alright?”

His eyes opened blearily, and he stared at her worried face for a moment in a daze.

“Kasai! Is it you?”

He smiled, sitting up and hugging her close, like he’d thought he’d never see her again.

“You’re alright!”

“Of course I’m alright.” She assured, smiling.

“You must be careful. There’s a hunter and he-.”

“We know.” Leo assured.

“Let’s just get you out of here. We’ll deal with-.”

He cut himself off when he saw that the hunter was not where he and the Firebender had left him.

“Hey, looks like the Great White Hunter up and skedaddled!”

SMACK!!!

“OW!!! ARTIE…”

“I still say we get the shell out of here.” Don stated, and they headed up to the bridge and down to head home.

“Don’t move.”

The hunter came out of the shadows, a sparking gun in her hands.

“I’ve finally got ya. You lot hurt Amelia, and Betsy here…She’s going critical, she is! She’s not gonna make it! And she’s taking all of us with her! She’s just that type of girl!”

Artemis glared, clenching her fists.

“I don’t think so…”

Kasai touched her arm, and the turtle backed down as the dainty-looking girl stepped forward.

“I-I’m going to h-have to stop y-you then…”

“I don’t think so, Missy.”

He aimed the gun, but she was before him, redirected the barrel away and punching him in the chest.

He struggled, and she only managed to hold on thanks to her flexible nature.

“KASAI!”

They fell over the edge, and the Firebender cried out at the sudden lack of ground.

There was an explosion of water under the surface, and Leatherhead leaned over the edge in a panic.

“KASAI!!! KASAI, ARE YOU ALRIGHT!?!”

Raph joined him in nearly the same state, ready to jump down and save him.

A small hand grabbed the bars, and a tired smile.

“I-I’m alright…B-But could y-you help me u-up?”

The sai-wielding turtle was happy to, and lifted her onto the bridge, feeling warm as she leaned on him.

Everyone was relieved that she was alright, and she explained that the blast just threw her back after she had released the gun, so she wasn’t hurt.

Artemis smiled, and yawned, rubbing at her eye.

“I say we head home…”

They decided to do just that, and were soon heading down the tunnels and pipes.

“No…I can not.” Leatherhead stated, and everyone stopped to turn to him.

“I simply will not risk staying with you.” He explained.

“My temper…My anger…What if I can’t control it? What if I had really hurt Kasai? Or Mizu? Or worse?”

“We’ll help you.” Don assured.

“You’ll learn how to control it. How to live with it.”

“Ya can do it. I mean, look at Mikey! ‘E’s learned ta live wit’ that face.”

“I WANT to stay with you, but I can not…”

“…You know…” Artemis started, brow furrowing.

“I think I’ve got the perfect thing…”

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

After going through some now-bent bars, they were in the large space that Artemis had told them about.

“Here, you’ll be three minutes away from the lair, and you’ll have plenty of space for anything you want to do.”

“I don’t know how to thank you…But…What about Kasai?”

“…If she wants to stay with you…I suppose it’s her choice…” Artemis managed.

Kasai looked between everyone, really thinking about what she wanted.

What she really felt, deep down in her heart of hearts.

“I…”

She looked up at Leatherhead.

“You’re really special to me, Leatherhead, but I think…I think I should stay with them. Artemis needs me, and…”

She averted her eyes a bit…

“I…Really enjoy it over there…It’s something I really need right now…”

“I understand…”

Leatherhead lifted her into a hug, and she smiled, glad no offense was taken.

“We’re all family, and it wouldn’t be fair of me to separate you.”

“Thank you…”

Mikey grinned.

“Yeah! We’ve got to stick together! Family and all that!”

“Yes…Family.”

The word still warmed her heart.

For the first time in so long…

She was part of a family.