Sequel: Angel's Child

Golden Angel

Chapter 74

Artemis breathed out, still a bit miffed…

Leo had refused to allow her to train with them, and she was left meditating on a rooftop…

She loved the little baby in that small little bump on her stomach, but for kami’s sake!

She wanted to train!

The crimson-eyed turtle already knew Mikey was watching cartoons…

The girls were training ‘unarmed’, as they called it.

Just the movements, much like the forms in martial arts, were used.

The jade-skinned turtle groaned, falling back on her shell, staring at the stars…

She had a feeling something was coming…

Eyes narrowing, she huffed, sitting up again.

‘Stupid senses…Why can’t you tell me what’s going to happen?’

A dull roar, and crimson eyes turned up to her curled-up Sky Bison.

“Oh, I know, baby…I’m bored, too…” The she-turtle soothed, patting the mighty head.

Almost like a dog, the large creature panted, nuzzling her owner.

Giggling a bit at that, Artemis smiled and hugged around the neck as best she could.

Looking up at the sound of footsteps, she tilted her head curiously at her brothers…

“…He’s over on the fire escape…”

Leo went to retrieve him, and came back ready for a lecture.

“You’ve been blowing off our training sessions, Mikey!”

“What’s the big deal? So I missed one sparring match!”

“If I have ta put up wit’ Mr. Intensity’s little war matches, so do ya!” Raph retorted with a growl.

“You are not taking your studies seriously, Michelangelo!” Splinter chastised.

“Come ON, guys! I don’t need to train! I’m the-!”

“DON’T say it!” Raph warned, nearly baring his teeth.

“Don’t ya say it!”

“BATTLE NEXUS CHAMPION!”

Everyone groaned in annoyance, and even Chi smacked her forehead.

“What?”

“’What’ is that you rub your ‘big win’ in our faces every chance you get!” Don answered, clearly getting peeved.

“Princess ‘ere basically let ya SHARE the title wit’ ‘er, but she’s never told a soul!”

“You even keep the trophy on top of the TV!” Don added.

“It’s a wonder ya don’t wear that thin’ ‘round yer neck!”

“…I, uh…tried…the chain kept breaking…”

“FOR KAMI’S SAKE!” Mizu finally snapped.

“Can you STOP talking about that dumb trophy? I swear, I’m going to DROWN you-!”

Don managed to hold back his mate, and Kasai kept Raph from striking his youngest brother.

Artemis was watching, knowing nothing would go too far.

Mikey had that talent.

“Ya won the Battle Nexus Championship on sheer dumb luck!”

“Well, if I remember correctly, I beat YOU fair and square, Raph!”

“I don’t want to be involved…” Don muttered.

Chi and Kasai got between the two turtles, JUST IN CASE, and Artemis rolled her eyes.

“Genius move, Mikey…”

“Michelangelo, you need to train and, most importantly, you should approach your accomplishments with humility. Your sister has done so rather well.”

“…Is it just me, or is everyone complimenting me for not having a big mouth?”

“You mean accomplishments LIKE…being the greatest warrior in all the multi-verse?! Come ON…training? I’m the Battle Nexus Champ-!”

A portal was opening amid them, and Artemis got to her feet carefully, eyes narrowing at the bright light…

A large form came out, and the gold-banded turtle quirked an eye-ridge…

“Kluh?”

“We meet again, little girl…”

Three more beings, much like Kluh, jumped out of the portal as well, along with one that was larger than the original one himself.

“What is the meaning of this?” Splinter demanded.

“The laws of the Battle Nexus do not-!”

“Take them all!”

Kluh ran for the gold-banded turtle, and she moved a foot forward, making a column of earth smack into his chin.

“You don’t learn, do you? I control earth, air, water, and fire. Did you think it would be easy?”

He charged at her like a bull, and she sighed, exasperated…

“Some people never change…”

His weapon was almost touching her face when Kluh was rammed in the side by an over-protective Mitsukai.

“That’s a GOOD Sky Bison!” She congratulated, patting the gold fur.

Another warning cry, and the gold-banded turtle sighed.

“He doesn’t quit, does he baby?”

A nuzzle, and the she-turtle smiled before whipping around, the heel of her palm smacking into Kluh’s solar plexus.

“How can you be such a warrior?!”

“Because I AM one, genius!”

A large purple hand wrapped around her stomach, and she growled, feeling the bump being pressed…

“Put me down!” She ordered.

“And why should I?”

A throbbing roar, and the crimson-eyed turtle glared.

“Or I’ll have Mitsukai GUT you with her horns…”

“ARTEMIS!”

The gnocchi appeared, and Leo stopped, his katana at Kluh’s throat…

“In the name of the Ultimate Daimyo, you are ordered to cease all combat!”

“On what grounds? My son and I were told this challenge was approved.”

“Challenge for what?” Mizu demanded.

“Yeah! They won fair an’ square! Well…Artie did…”

“BABE…”

“It’s true, baby…”

“On what grounds do they challenge us?” Artemis questioned firmly.

“According to the interferences in the final match and your own match with Kluh, he has called your honor into question.”

“…He WHAT!?!”

Everyone took a step AWAY from the angry gold-banded turtle…

“Get your purple ass over here and say that to my face!!!” She dared, sparks escaping her mouth…

“What female could manage to have such power?”

“THIS ONE, you giant idiot!!!”

She grabbed him forcefully, pulling him down to her level.

“I’m nauseous, I have a f***ing baby growing in my stomach, I can’t train, I ate a damn ketchup-covered omelet for dinner, and YOU just gave me the perfect f***ing reason to KILL someone…”

Kasai took a timid step back…

“Mood swings…”

“Artemisia.”

The pregnant she-turtle paused, trying to rein in her raging emotions…

“Let the gnocchi explain…”

“…Yes, sensei…” She managed, stepping back…

“Also, because of the interference and…untraditional win…Kluh has questioned the wisdom of making you both champions. He wishes to challenge you both.”

‘It’s like he just spread his legs and said ‘kick me’…’

“The order will be chosen randomly.”

“…What if one of us loses?” Mikey wondered nervously.

“They will no longer be a Battle Nexus Champion, and Kluh will take their place.”

“…ARTIE…”

“Don’t worry about it.”

The crimson-eyed turtle smiled a bit at her brother…

“We’ll beat him up fine.”

Raph and Don seemed a bit excited to have Mikey’s greatest achievement nullified…

“In three days time, the Battle Nexus Champions will protect their honor and titles in the Battle Nexus. We are very aware of your disdain for Battle Nexus rules. There will be no combat outside of the arena. In three days, all will be decided.”

The gnocchi disappeared, and everyone turned to the aliens still present.

“Three days, Earther.”

“I’ll be looking forward to kicking your ass around a ring again, Kluh.”

The other group departed, and Artemis sighed, muttering darkly under her breath…

“…We’ll help you train…” Kasai offered.

“…Thanks…Maybe a little bit of practice will help…”

She could hear Mikey whining as her and the girls walked away, and sighed softly…

‘He’ll be fine…right?’

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Splinter sketched the little white markings onto the rough brick wall, and Kasai fidgeted a bit before asking…

“What exactly is the Battle Nexus?”

Silence as the others realized they hadn’t filled the Firebender in…

“It’s a weird dimensional tournament…” Mizu began…

“Full ‘a the best warriors ‘a the multi-verse.” Chi added.

“The champion is the best ‘a the best.”

“But…Mikey is a Battle Nexus Champion…”

“Only ‘cause princess let ‘im share wit’ ‘er, darlin’.”

“OH…”

The gold-banded turtle smiled, even though Leo was fussing over her.

“You guys ready to get going?”

“More than ready…”

“NO…”

“Don’t worry, Mikey. You’ll do fine.”

“But ARTIE…”

The jade-skinned turtle put a hand on his forehead…

“I won’t let you get hurt out there, bro…I already promised, remember?”

And he did remember…

She’d promised the first time they’d gone to the Battle Nexus and he had first feared Kluh’s wrath…

The gateway opened in a bright light, and the group stepped through into the Battle Nexus…

“Well, looks like nobody’s home! Might as well head back-!”

Mikey whined as Chi dragged him along by his mask tails…

They soon reached the Pavilion of Past Champions, when two new statues caught Mizu’s eye…

“Whoa…”

“Nice…” Artemis agreed, before she sensed something…

“Hey, love…looks like the Ultimate Ninja’s looking for a rematch…”

Both noticed the little green-eyed boy hiding behind a statue, peeking out at them shyly.

“Honored friends, welcome once again to the Battle Nexus.” The Daimyo greeted, entering along with the gnocchi.

“Old friend, it is good to see you well.” Splinter replied, bowing.

“And, old friend, you must be proud to have Michelangelo and Artemisia honor you in battle once more.”

“Couldn’t I just honor you back home?”

SMACK!!!

“OW!!! RAPH…”

“It seems you’re having your own little miracle, Artemisia.”

The gold-banded turtle smiled shyly, hugging the baby bump under her plastron gentle…

“Yes. But I should be in a good enough condition to fight.”

“I can’t remember some things, but I remember you two…”

Artemis turned a bit to see the young boy, along with her mate.

“Did we play together?”

Leo seemed a bit unsure of how to answer, so the crimson-eyed turtle did instead.

“Yeah, we did.”

“Then you two shall be my friends!”

‘He’s so CUTE…He couldn’t possibly become the man that tried to kill us…’

“Come, my friends. The arena.”

The Daimyo ushered them to his private balcony, where fights were already raging below in the arena.

“Gnocchi, I thought the tournament was only held every three years.” Don voiced.

“True, Donatello, but in honor of the challenge, we are holding what you call ‘exhibition matches’.”

Mizu sighed, settling on the bricks as she watched the fights.

Artemis needed no practice in Waterbending, so the blue-eyed girl would be free until the matches…

She felt arms wrap around her waist, and grinned…

She could find something to do…

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Earth shot up, shot out, and was knocked off-course rather easily.

The two Earthbender’s were fighting hard, and Kasai watched from the sidelines in worry.

Artemis couldn’t push herself too far, or the baby might be hurt, so she couldn’t go as all-out as she would have liked…

Though Kluh probably deserved it, Don deemed the Avatar State, the usage of chi, and intense strain to be too dangerous.

“…I think I’d better rest for now…” Artemis advised, starting to breathe hard.

“A’right…”

The two settled beside the gold/red-haired girl already seated, and the she-turtle took a swig of water.

“…Ya’ll do a’right out there, Artie…”

“I know, Chi…thanks…”

“We don’t want ta lose ya out there. Just be safe, a’right?”

“Yes, MOM.” Artemis teased.

“…I’m not going to lose this baby…”

“An’ we won’t lose ya.”

“We’re all a team. One of us goes down, we all go down.”

Kasai looked up at the jade-skinned turtle with worried gold eyes…

“You know how much trouble we were in because of your…trip…We can’t function without the whole group there…It’s the way family works…”

“I know…”

“Don’t take any risks. We know how you are.”

“Guess you do…”

Artemis smiled almost strangely, eyes distant…

“Don’t worry…I’m not going to die again anytime soon…”

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Pavilion of Past Champions…

True, not many of her memories there were pleasant, but Artemis needed to clear her head SOMEWHERE…

She was in a meditative position on the pedestal of Master Yoshi’s statue, hoping to gain wisdom in her thoughts…

The only thing troubling her was Mikey…

The crimson-eyed turtle had assured him that he could handle it, but she herself could not keep from worrying.

‘Master Yoshi…If you’ve been protecting our family so far, I’m grateful…Just…Protect them for me, one more time…’

A bright flash of light, and crimson eyes slid open lazily…

“It is time, champion…”

“…I’m ready…”

A bright light enveloped her form, and the gold-banded found herself in the arena…

Mikey was already there, and Kluh…

“We shall now decide who shall go first.”

The gnocchi made a strange wheel, half gold and half a deep orange, along with a floating spinner.

“Kluh, you shall spin the wheel of fate.”

The large, muscular alien spun it sharply, and it blurred as it sped in a circle.

Artemis tensed, willing to face the outcome head-on…

Mikey, on the other hand, preferred hiding behind his sister…

It slowed, and time seemed to stop for a moment when they saw it’s resting place…

Gold…

Artemis breathed out in something akin to relief, but Mikey was worried for her safety.

He didn’t know what being pregnant would do to her fighting…

“I’ll be fine, Mikey.”

Blue eyes snapped up to see the reassuring smile on her face.

“I promise.”

“…Alright…”

He stepped off the arena, and a large blue force field came up behind him…

“You’re pet isn’t here to save you this time…”

“She doesn’t need to.”

His blade swung for her neck, but she stepped back, out of range of his weapon.

Kluh growled, lunging for her…

Probably intended to run her through…

Artemis jumped up, landing lightly on the staff of his weapon…

Kluh’s eyes widened before a hard kick smacked into his face.

Flipping back, the crimson-eyed turtle winced at the strain on her plastron.

‘I can’t be too flashy, then…’

A warning cry, and the jade-skinned turtle barely avoided a harsh punch to her side.

Skidding back, she almost bared her teeth in a warning snarl…

That had been too close to the baby, HER baby, for her instincts to let such an attack go unpunished…

But it seemed she was slowing a bit, getting clipped by some of his assaults…

“You’re not nearly as strong as you were before…”

“If you haven’t noticed, there’s a BABY inside me…I can’t exactly beat your ass as thoroughly as I would have liked…”

Artemis managed to put some distance between them as Kluh laughed.

“You’re pathetic now! How foolish of you to go whore yourself around!”

“EXCUSE ME!?!” She demanded, fire sparking over her skin…

“I’m only with one person! And you’ll only ever be half the man he is!”

“He’s a fool himself, thinking you’d be faithful!”

The purple giant smirked.

“Should I take him out of his misery?”

A fiery fist smacked into his chest, sending the alien smacking into the force field hard enough to make the ground rumble…

“I can only take SO MUCH…” She growled lowly, hands aflame…

“But once you question my HONOR, and my MATE, you’ve gone over the line by a mile…”

Air pushed her forward as fast as a bullet, and Kluh was being beat around by a blur of movement, was knocked around in midair so badly people thought they heard bones crack…

He slammed into the ground, making a crater, and Artemis landed on top of him, eyes hard…

She had expected him to disappear by now, but had been too lost in righteous rage to question why.

She saw, out of the corner of her eyes, her family watching…

She couldn’t possibly strike a killing blow…

Letting her hands fall to her sides, the gold-banded turtle sighed.

“I’m not going to kill you…MY father taught me better than that…”

A swift kick to his temple, and Kluh was out like a light…

‘You won’t be messing with MY baby brother ever again…’

She swayed a bit from the rush of energy leaving her system, shaking her head…

‘Guess I won’t be fighting like THAT again for a LONG time…’

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Everyone was in the throne room, the Ultimate Daimyo sitting in his throne.

It was a special ceremony for the two Battle Nexus Champions, and the five turtles were wearing special white armor, trimmed in their signature colors.

The three human girls wore traditional Japanese kimonos, decorated in their elements.

There were crowds of people on the sides of the room, cheering for their champions, and Mikey waved jubilantly compared to his more-conserved sister.

“Michelangelo. Artemisia. Step forward.”

Both turtles obeyed, standing vigilantly before the Daimyo.

He held up two medals, pendants.

“For your valor and nobleness of character, I hereby award you both with the Battle Nexus Medal for Unparalleled Honor.”

He hung the chains around their necks, and Artemis didn’t want to know what Mikey had done while she’d been busy…

Raph and Don dreaded what ‘torture’ they would endure with this new trophy of Mikey’s ultimate win, while said orange-banded turtle seemed ecstatic.

Chi seemed…tolerant enough, and happily returned a ‘victory kiss’ she was given by her boyfriend…

The ceremony ended not long after, and Kasai drifted off from the group silently.

Raph noticed, something he often did with the fire-haired girl, and followed her…

She stopped on the edge of the village, looking up at the moon as its silvery light fell over her…

The red-banded turtle blushed as he realized how BEAUTIFUL she looked right then, her skin glowing, the red flame silk of her kimono shimmering…

“Darlin’?” He managed, voice strangely husky…

She looked back at him, doe-like gold eyes curious and he felt so HOT now…

“Raphie?”

He blinked, realizing he had gotten closer than he remembered, their lips almost touching…

Raph figured she’d pull back, apologize, run off…

But she stayed, looking confused and shy and something else he couldn’t quite name…

“Darlin’?”

The conflict in her eyes…

Like she wanted so BADLY to do something, but something else was holding her back…

“I-I…”

She wanted so BADLY to say those three words…

But she was so SCARED…

“What is it?”

“…I-I…I love you…”

Silence as Raph tried to absorb that information…

“I-I’m sorry…” She continued, clearly flustered.

“I-I should h-have known i-it would m-make you u-uncomfortable…I’ll j-just go…”

The Firebender was surprised when he took hold of her wrist…

“No, it ain’t that…It’s just…”

He almost couldn’t find the words to explain what he was feeling…

“I didn’t thin’ a girl like ya would love a guy like me…”

“…D-Do you…?”

She didn’t want to push anything, it wasn’t in her nature…

His grip tightened, feeling the words catch in his throat…

“I…”

They wouldn't dislodge themselves…

So he did the next-best thing…

Kasai’s eyes widened at the sudden feeling of a mouth over her own, but immediately relaxed…

Closing her eyes, the Firebender wrapped her arms around his neck, unconsciously pulling herself against his plastron…

A fire started, deep inside him, as the red-banded turtle wrapped his arms around her waist…

The kimono started sliding up over her legs, and he shivered at the feel of her skin against his own…

“Raphie…”

He pulled back a bit, looking into her eyes…

“I…I don’t want to mess up…”

“Neither do I…Guess we’re on the same boat…”

“…Should we…?”

She was feeling that heat too, making her want to arch her back…

“…Are ya…’kay wit’ it?”

“As long as it’s you…”

That strange pride, tender possessiveness…

They were a type of HEAT he’d never known before…

“It’ll be a’right, darlin’…I’ll make sure not ta ‘urt ya…”