Sequel: Angel's Child

Golden Angel

Chapter 86

Artemis blearily opened her eyes at the sound of knocking, and then rested her chin back on Leo’s shoulder…

“Are you holding up alright, love?”

“I’m gonna hurl…”

“Hurl on Mikey again if you have to…”

“HEY…”

The door opened, and April peeked out curiously.

“Hey, guys.”

Concern flashed across her face…

“Are you two okay?”

“They look like the livin’ dead, don’t they?”

“Chi, that’s rude!” Mizu chided.

“Hit her for me?” Artemis muttered weakly.

“Alright, love…”

SMACK!!!

“OW!”

“It’s alright, babe…Now you just know how it feels…”

“Shut it…”

“Let’s not hit each other.” Kasai advised, nearly tipping over.

She was almost due, and couldn’t be left safely at the lair in case she went into labor.

“I’m just not up to fighting mutants right now…” Don sniffled.

“April, can ya watch ‘em fer us?”

“Of course they can stay here. We weren’t going anywhere anyway…”

“I hope we’re not interrupting anything…” Kasai started, seeing them dressed up.

“It’s no problem, Kasai. Come on in.”

Waddling in with some difficulty, she let Raph lead her to a recliner so she could sit.

Don at least could walk, but Artemis had nearly fallen over because of her Jell-o bones…

“Sorry if this is a bad time…” Don managed as he sat on the couch.

Artemis had already been laid on it, but she insisted on sitting so Don could use her lap as a pillow.

Besides, who else was going to carry little Angela?

“Bye, love…”

Leo kissed her forehead, offering a smile.

“Don’t push yourself…”

“I’ll try…”

After the others said their goodbyes, the five teens departed.

“Could you guys go and…and feed her?” She trailed off.

“Sure. Come on, Angie…”

April carefully took the happy little turtle, heading for the kitchen…

When the lights went out…

Casey went looking for candles or flashlights, and Artemis winced at a pain in her wrist.

Clutching the joint to her chest, the gold-banded turtle tried soothing Don’s fever as he held his leg.

Kasai was worried for them, but she couldn’t even stand now.

“Artie? Donnie? Are you guys okay?”

A sharp sound from the kitchen, like a short cry, and Artemis felt agony shoot through her…

Her wrist shook with something besides the burning, but the glowing arrows on her skin seemed to make it go away…

Unfortunately, Don didn’t have the Avatar Spirit to fall back on…

His thigh muscle was convulsing, and he sat up sharply at the feel.

He was…transforming, morphing into a large beast as his gear snapped off, leaving only a tattered mask…

April and Casey rushed out at the startled yelp Kasai gave, and skidded to a halt as Artemis reached for her brother’s arm…

“Donnie…”

“St-Stay away from me!”

Jumping back at the sudden shout, the crimson-eyed turtle had to watch as her brother rushed off.

“DONNIE!!”

Stumbling over her own feet in her weakened state, she moved herself back onto her feet even as Angela started whining and crying.

Unable to take the time to comfort her baby, she stopped at the doorway.

“Take care of them!”

“But Artemis-!”

“Don’t let Angel get hurt!” She ordered sternly, running down.

Heading down into the basement, the young Avatar noticed the beam of a flashlight behind her…

‘I should have known…’

“Donnie?” She called warily, stepping around the staircase and facing a slightly-opened door.

“Donnie, are you okay?”

Carefully pushing the wood open a bit further, she saw her brother’s almost spiked shell…

“Don…”

“What the-?”

Casey was cut off by Don’s strange roar, and Artemis pushed the humans away with Airbending.

“Run!” She ordered, eyes hard.

“Call the others! I’ll keep him back!”

A wall of earth covered the doorway, but it already began to crack under the other turtle’s blows.

“Donnie, calm down! I don’t want to hurt you!”

Rock flew as the whole thing started to crumble, and he pounced on her.

“DONNIE!”

He seemed to hold himself back, jumping for the stairs as Casey scrambled up the steps.

“RUN!”

Artemis managed to get on his back, pulling him back enough for the two humans to get through the door in a mad dash.

He slammed her against the wall, seeming ready to punch straight through her, when they seemed to…connect…

Flashes of images, memories, from his mind rushing through her own...

Flashback:

“At least our weapons are better than a stick.”

“It’s a staff…” A young Don replied weakly.

“It’s still a stick. What can you do with it?”

“Back off, Raph.” Artemis stated, pushing him back a bit.

“Leave him alone. I’d rather have a staff than over-sized forks!”

“They’re sai!”

“And THAT’S a Bo staff! It’s the oldest, most effective weapon, and you should be jealous that you don’t have one!”

Don looked up at his sister…

“Thanks, Artie…”

“No problem. What are sisters for?”

End Flashback

Flashback:

“Artie, look at this!”

A preteen Don grinned, holding up a TV.

“You fixed it?”

“Yep!”

A grin spread across her face, and she hugged her brother.

“Great job, bro. I knew you could do it!”

End Flashback

Flashback:

“But, Artie…” Present Don slurred, typing sluggishly at his computer…

“I need to…finish this…”

He yelped weakly when she lifted him out of his chair.

“It’ll still be here in the morning, Donnie. But YOU need some rest.”

“I’m not…tired…” He lied, eyes drifting closed…

“I’m sure you’re not…” She soothed, carefully opening the door to his room…

Mizu was already in bed, sleeping peacefully, and the gold-masked turtle slid him under the covers.

“Artie…”

“Yeah?”

“…Thanks…”

His eyes were closing again as she smiled…

“No prob. What are sister’s for?”

End Flashback

Flashback:

All that blood…

How could she have…?

‘She couldn’t have…’

Don fought the despair, thinking that she had died…

‘No one could have survived that kind of blood loss…’

If anyone could have pulled through, he would have expected it to be Artie…

She always seemed to bounce back, even against the odds…

If they had known this would have been the price to pay for defeating the Shredder…

They never would have come, have risked it…

She was the reason they were still here, still TOGETHER, still FAMILY…

Now she was gone…

That feeling of loss, that feeling that a piece of your heart had died and drifted away into nothingness…

He couldn’t take it, and even his tears didn’t soothe the pain…

‘I’m so sorry, Artie…I’m so sorry we couldn’t save you…’

End Flashback

The connection broke, temporarily snapped, when Mikey jumped on the large turtle’s back.

Dizzy and weak, Artemis slid down to her butt as water wrapped around Don’s neck.

Unfortunately, he broke free, charging down the tunnel leading into the sewers.

“ARTEMIS!”

“Where’s Donnie?” Mizu asked worriedly as Leo checked her over.

“That…WAS Donnie…”

Everyone froze in disbelief…

“What do ya mean?” Chi demanded.

“He just…transformed…”

‘And I almost followed him…’

“…It’s time to visit Leatherhead.” Leo decided.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Artemis was breathing deeply, still weak from the broken connection, as Kasai rubbed her belly worriedly in thought.

Mizu was jumpy and worried, thinking of everything that could have happened…

Angela was snuggled into her father’s arms, starting to doze peacefully…

She’d been particularly distressed, as if she sensed what was going on and knew, instinctively, that it was bad…

“He’s been exposed to the outbreak mutagen. I’m just not sure how it was introduced into their bloodstream.”

“What about Artie?” Mikey wondered.

“Her as well…”

“I think I know how it got into Don…” Leo stated.

“He got a nasty gash when we were fighting those mutated cockroaches, remember?”

He turned to Artemis…

“But you weren’t with us…What happened, love?”

“Well…a giant mutated rat was heading for the lair while you guys were away…” She admitted, pulling off her wristband to show the bandages…

“He only grazed me, I barely bled, so I didn’t worry about it…”

“But if it was at the same time, why hasn’t she mutated?” Mizu wondered.

Another bolt of electric agony, and Artemis nearly cried out…

“LOVE!”

The muscles around her wrist began to convulse, but the arrows came back to stop it…

“That must be why she hasn’t…” Leatherhead mused.

“That strange power she has must be keeping the mutagen from taking control…But I’m afraid she has the other symptoms…She won’t last long…”

Leatherhead sighed, turning away as if ashamed…

“I regret to say that I…can not cure them…”

“What?! NO!!!” Mikey shouted, immediately distressed.

Chi seemed just as panicked, but she managed to hold Mikey back.

“We’re going to find a cure!” Leo stated decidedly.

“But first we’ve got to catch Don before he hurts himself…or anyone else.”

“But ‘ow are we gonna catch a three ‘undred pound killer turtle?” Raph wondered.

The large crocodile moved to a tarp-covered object, revealing a containment unit.

“As you know, Donatello and I have been working together, developing ways to deal with Bishop’s mutant threat. We built this containment unit to incarcerate and examine larger mutations.”

His eyes grew sad, a hand on the smooth glass…

“I made this WITH Donatello…I never imagined we would use it ON Donatello…”

“Neither did I…” Mizu admitted, heartbroken…

“Then let’s go.” Artemis stated, trying to stand.

“No.” Leo replied sternly, pushing her back down.

“You’re not strong enough for it.”

“But-.”

“Stay at the lair and take care of Angie.”

“…”

A bit defeated, she took the little baby…

“…You guys be careful…”

“We will…”

“Don’t take risks.” Kasai added, already knowing she wouldn’t be going.

“Promise, darlin’.”

“Then we’d better head out…” The Waterbender muttered.

“We don’t have much time…”

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Artemis stared up at the ceiling, Angela curled up on her plastron sound asleep.

The little turtle gripped the upper edge tight, as if afraid that her mother would disappear…

Mitsukai was restless, moving her head to nuzzle her owner every few minutes.

The gold-masked cuddled into the warm fur subconsciously, eyes drifting closed…

Kasai watched them worriedly, sighing…

She didn’t want to see what would happen next…

She had a feeling what was going to happen…

A feeling that they couldn’t do this on their own…

The door opened, and everyone looked up as the containment unit was brought in, Don raging inside it…

It seemed Mizu had already shed tears, and she kept a constant hand on the smooth, cool glass…

Artemis reached out, touching it gently with her fingertips…

“Donnie…”

“I can sympathize…I know what it’s like to be a monster…” Leatherhead stated.

Mizu shook her head, resting it on the glass.

“You’re not a monster…And neither is he…”

“Poor Donnie…” Kasai sympathized, Raph pulling her into a hug.

“What are we gonna do, Leo?” Mikey wondered.

“Do? This is Donatello. This is our brother. We’re going to hunt down a cure for him…no matter what it takes.”

Leo’s eyes softened…

“No matter what it takes…”

“I’m not stopping until he’s healed…” Mizu agreed, already bringing water to her hands…

“I won’t stop…”