Sequel: Angel's Child

Golden Angel

Chapter 87

Mizu was near the containment unit again…

Don always seemed calmer when she was nearby, so she hardly ever left…

She was almost asleep, dozing on some blankets…

Artemis herself couldn’t sleep, and stayed nearby as well…

Most of them were trying to keep out of the conversation above, knowing the pain it would bring to Mizu…

The poor girl had been trying for hours to heal him whenever he was unconscious, and got nothing…

She didn’t need to know that he was dying…

Or that Artemis was dying again…

She’s confided in them about her nightmare, that her greatest fear was being unable to heal someone…

And have them die in her arms…

They kept the brothers from opening the containment unit as much as possible, though it was making Mikey desperate…

Chi managed to keep him busy, so there wasn’t much more that could be done.

But Mikey managed to slip by her, try to feed his brother…

Don grabbed him, and everyone jumped into action at his high-pitched scream…

Raph took hold of Mikey, and Mizu put her hands on the glass.

“Donnie! Sweetie, stop! I know you don’t want to hurt anyone!”

He seemed to calm down, and released his brother…

Nuzzled the glass separating them…

“I know, sweetie…” The Waterbender whispered, nearly choking on sobs.

“I want to be near you, too…”

“I-I…I just wanted to give him some food…”

“It’s a’right, baby…It’s a’right…”

“That settles it. We’re going after Bishop. We’re going to make him help Don and Artemis.”

“An’ ‘ow exactly are we gonna fin’ ‘im? Last I checked, ‘e wasn’t listed in the yellow pages.” Raph replied.

“I know where he is. Remember, he held me for weeks, torturing me. I vowed to catch up to him one day and even the score.”

Leatherhead sighed, rubbing at his temples…

“But I’m afraid the journey is long…and neither of them have enough time.”

Mitsukai roared indignantly.

“…We have plenty.”

The Sky Bison lifted her tail, and Angela giggled slightly.

“Get on.”

Artemis jumped up, nearly staggering, and Raph had to help up Kasai as everyone clambered on.

The Sky Bison even took the containment unit in her front paws before finding the exit and flying up into the night sky…

“LH, I’ll need a general direction…”

“West.”

“West? Where exactly are we going?”

“Area 51.”

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

“Get ready for landing.”

Mitsukai gave a dull roar, landing behind a wall of jutting rocks.

“You mean we’re ACTUALLY going to Area 51?!” Mikey shouted.

“Calm down, baby…”

“This can’t be right! Maybe this ISN’T Bishop’s base!”

“It is…”

Everyone turned to Kasai, who nodded slightly…

“I remember it…”

“We’re going in there. Me, Mikey, and Raph will go in and find Bishop, Chi will be the lookout, and everyone else will stay with Don…Just in case…”

“Alright, love…Just be careful…”

“I will.”

The three turtles headed off, and Chi sat on top of the rocks as ‘lookout’. Mizu held onto the containment unit as Mitsukai rested…

Everyone was on alert, trying to regain energy as they waited…

Chi growled, earth rattling, but she didn’t attack…

‘What did they do?’ Artemis wondered, cuddling her daughter against her plastron more tightly.

She realized exactly what it was they’d done when they came back, followed by Bishop’s soldiers…

They were led through the base, Leatherhead and Mitsukai lugging along Don and Kasai respectively.

They stopped in what seemed to be a warehouse, and Leatherhead put the containment unit next to one Stockman had made.

Apparently, he’d barely lived, and was now in a twig-like body.

The crocs temper seemed ready to boil, but they managed to keep him from attacking Bishop…

“Where did you get this pathetic containment unit? In a junkyard? Amateurs…”

Water wrapped around his neck, lifting him into the air…

Pipes rattled, and you could see the raging waters in Mizu’s eyes…

“I’ve been trying not to kill anyone…Don’t push my hand, Stockman…” She growled darkly.

Water splashed to the ground, along with the tiny robotic tushie…

“Ready the cell for transfer…”

“And you’d better be careful.” Artemis warned.

“Don’t think I won’t hurt you.”

As they tried moving him to the new unit, Mizu fidgeted worriedly.

She jumped up when they shocked him, righteous indignation in her veins.

“Hey!”

Don managed to free himself, knock the soldiers away and start on a rampage…

“Donnie, don’t!” Mikey pleaded.

“Oh crud…” Raph muttered.

“Nice one, Stockman!” Chi snarled.

More soldiers poured in, guns at the ready…

‘They’re going to shoot him!’

Ice caught the bullets, letting them fall to the concrete.

“Leave him alone!” Mizu shouted, water swirling around her feet.

“Let me try!”

When no one moved, the Waterbender turned to the large turtle…

“Hey, sweetie…It’s me, remember?”

He seemed to relax, lowering his head to nuzzle her chin.

“Yeah…I love you, too…”

Artemis stepped forward carefully…

“Let me try something…”

Mizu nodded, patting the now-purring turtle’s head to keep him from snapping.

Artemis put a hand on his forehead, closing her eyes…

‘Maybe I can give him more time…’

Arrows glowed on her skin, and a glow appeared between them…

The connection was back, and she felt the corruption try spreading to her further…

Artemis managed to push it back, make it recede further than it had been, before having to
pull back.

It was starting to hurt…

“Ow…This had better not happen again…” She mumbled, stepping back as Angela worriedly patted at her neck.

“Let’s go to a containment unit…” Mizu whispered, slowly starting to lead Don to the containment unit.

“That’s alright, sweetie…This way…”

Opening the door to the actual unit, she gently led him in, patting his snout reassuringly.

“You’ll be alright…I promise, sweetie…”

A churr, and he nuzzled her neck before she had to pull back, closing the door.

“It seems the animal was right…”

Even Angela seemed unhappy with Stockman now…

Artemis held the baby closer, settling on the ground when…

“Do you have a cure?”

Silence…

Chi felt the deception, and nearly growled…

“Yes…But as I said, I require something of you…”

“Name it.”

“A simple errand, really. There is an item I require. A relic that may prove crucial to my work. I want you to retrieve it for me.”

“Retrieve it from where?” Mizu wondered.

“New York. In fact, I believe you already know the woman who holds it. Her name is…Karai.”

‘…Oh…shell…’