‹ Prequel: Playing With Fire
Status: In progress! :)

Here Comes the Sun

Shame

Image

Things were better than I thought at Mandy’s house. She lived on her own after moving out of her parents’ house in Wyckoff, and she was waitressing to pay for tuition at the local university. Her condo was cute and cozy; much better than the dump of a hotel we’d been staying at. The only downside to it was that the paparazzi were having a ball outside. Compared to Los Angeles cameramen, they were a little more respectful, hiding in bushes instead of coming straight out and following us. But still, we tried not to leave the house as much as we could.

That evening, when Nick was taking a nap in our bed, I decided to go watch Gossip Girl with Mandy. We’d had barely any time to talk since she arrived at the hospital and I thought I’d save myself the anxiety of watching Nick sleep.

“Are you hungry?” she asked as she situated herself comfortably on the couch, “I could make some popcorn.

I shook my head. “No, thanks. I’m good,” I said, fearing throwing it up later.

“Alright. Let me know if you change your mind.” She smiled and turned on the television.

Mandy was, by far, the prettiest girl that ever went to our school back in the day. She was charming, with her long blonde hair and blue eyes, and she had made Joe so happy. I secretly wished they would get back together just because I knew they completed each other and with her, Joe would stop dating all the bad girls, like Demi.

“So, how is little Nicky doing?” she asked me when a commercial came on.

“Oh, he’s much better. He fell asleep, so I left. It kind of scares me when he sleeps.”

Her eyebrows creased together. “How come?”

“I dunno. I guess it reminds me too much of the hospital.”

“Ah,” she sighed, “I see. But don’t worry, Kara. He’s going to be fine. He’s taken care of here – you all are.”

I smiled. “Thanks,” I said, “The only strange part is,” I paused, biting my lip, “it literally makes me sick.”

“Yeah, I’ve noticed you going to the bathroom quite a lot.” She started to play with the remote in her hands nervously, something I’d noticed Joe did a lot as well, “You know, Kara, there is a possibility that that’s not because of Nick.”

I was quiet for a moment, knowing exactly what she was thinking.

“He might have gotten inside after all,” she said darkly, “And you hit your head, so you probably don’t remember.”

“No,” I denied, “It’s impossible. I know I would have felt it.” I shivered, recalling him all over me that day.

Her eyes were sad when she looked up at me.

“Just to be safe, I can take you to my gynecologist. We don’t have to tell the guys."

I suddenly felt cold, realizing that she was being serious. The idea scared me to death.

“O-okay,” I stuttered.

“Tomorrow?”

I nodded slowly.

“Okay,” she nodded, “I’ll make the appointment for the afternoon because I heard Joe saying something about Alyssa coming by in the morning. But listen, Kara…Don’t worry. I’m here for you.”

She stood, walking over and plopping herself down beside me.

“Don’t be scared,” she whispered, pulling me into her arms.

I was numb, terrified, ashamed. I couldn’t even think of it being a possibility, but it was.

“KARA!” I heard someone suddenly bellow my name.

“Sounds like he needs you,” Mandy said against my shoulder, pulling away and smiling at me.

I nodded, unable to form words anymore, and walked to Nick’s room, my mind in a completely different place.

“W-where did you go?” he stammered when I opened the door. He was crying.

“I was with Mandy. What’s the matter?” I ran to his bedside, taking his hand in mine. I felt his forehead and tried wiping away the tears streaming down his face.

He said nothing as he looked deep into my eyes painfully.

“Are you in pain?” I asked him desperately.

He shook his head. “I…I was so far away from you,” he began, “So far away. And you…you needed me. I promised you…”

“What are you talking about, Nick?” I panicked.

“I’m so…sorry. You needed me. I promised you…I wasn’t even there…”

I sighed, sitting beside him. “You had a nightmare.”

“No, it was real! It was so…real,” he cried.

“Shhh,” I touched my forehead to his, “It’s over. It’s all over now.”

As I tried to convince him, I realized I could be lying to him. What if it wasn’t over? What if after tomorrow, it would get worse?

How would I tell him the truth?
♠ ♠ ♠
I know it's been like MONTHS since I've updated.
School is madnesssssssss.
I'm sorry that this chapter is so short too.
I just wanted to let you guys know I'm still here.
Comments, anyone? :)
I hope you're all having a great Thanksgiving weekend!
xoxo