‹ Prequel: Playing With Fire
Status: In progress! :)

Here Comes the Sun

Beautiful

Image

“I can’t take this anymore,” I said anxiously, tapping my fingers uncontrollably on my knees, “I need to see them.”

Nick laughed from beside me.

“Just a few more minutes,” he said, smiling genuinely. We were driving home from the airport with Big Rob after our flight across the country. I couldn’t have been any more impatient.

I groaned, throwing my head back against the leather seat. I was seated in between Nick and Joe and received laughs from both of them.

“It feels like it’s been months,” Joe sighed. It was obvious that he missed his family terribly. All three of us did. We sat in silence for a moment, thinking of reuniting with everyone we’d been without for so long and at the worst possible moments when we needed them the most.

After a while, Nick spoke quietly. “I can’t wait to hold Layla,” he said.

I smiled at the sound of her name. I had missed her more than words could express and longed to hold her in my arms as well.

“Me too,” I agreed. He reached over and took my impatiently quivering hand in his, enclosing it in warmth and comfort.

Mere minutes past, yet it felt like ages. When we pulled into our massive driveway, trying to ignore the dozens of paparazzi stalking our return, I was overcome with joy to see our home and imagine the amazing people inside it, waiting for us. I hopped out of the car with Nick’s hand still holding mine and couldn’t care less about the media questions being shouted at me. I shrugged them off with little concern, only focusing on the love that lived beyond the front door of the house.

Big Rob led us carefully up the porch steps and opened the door, allowing us inside and avoiding the cameramen and reporters. I made a mental note to thank him later.

I saw so many familiar faces all at once. They all had heartbreakingly sad eyes and their warm smiles were sympathetic, but they seemed, above all, happy to see us. Mrs. Jonas was the first person to take me into her arms. She said nothing – she just cried. Her embrace was long and loving, surfacing up a few tears in my own eyes. She freed one of her arms to pull Nick and Joe into the hug as well, crying even harder at having her missing sons back into her arms.

Kevin was standing further back in the room, as if he’d just come in from the kitchen. His hands were resting gently on little Frankie’s shoulders, whose height barely exceeded Kevin’s waist. Frankie ran to hug my legs tightly as Kevin greeted his brothers with sad eyes. I knelt down to meet Frankie’s height and hugged him, watching Kevin eying Nick’s slowly healing wounds from the corner of my eye.

Mr. Jonas hugged us all and patted us firmly on our backs, telling us everything was okay and we were safe now. I couldn’t fathom what was going through everyone’s minds at the sight of us. We weren’t in the best shape, to say the least. But I was more than ecstatic to be with my family again. The reunion had been bittersweet.

As I gazed proudly at everyone, feeling the relief take over the pain that I had been feeling for so long, I realized how strong the magic of this family was. They healed me. I had been in the house for no longer than ten minutes and I was already feeling joyous and happy again. I looked at them all in awe, feeling unbelievably lucky that I had them.

And the heartwarming scene only got better.

The sound of heels hitting hardwood filled the room and all attention was turned to the door connecting with the kitchen. It swung open slowly and Danielle appeared, more beautiful than ever. Her long brown hair cascaded down her back and her bright smile glowed against her lovely skin. She looked directly at me, warm and excited. It wasn’t until I glanced down that I understood why.

In her arms was a familiar looking face, bright and gorgeous, exactly how I’d remembered. Her chocolate brown eyes scanned the room curiously, taking in the crowd of people, until they finally met mine. She was in a red dress with large white polka-dots and matching socks, reminding me slightly of a ladybug. In so little time, she’d grown. Her face held more expression and her features had become more defined. Her body was slightly longer. I’d forgotten how much I’d missed her. I felt myself grin. My heart warmed as I held out my arms for her.

Danielle’s smile grew as she placed her gently into my arms, Layla moaning and trying to hold out her arms for me the entire time. Nothing mattered at that perfect moment. Every pain I’d felt was erased by her very presence. I stared at her beautiful face and let her grip my finger in her tiny palm, in awe over being with her after so long. Nick and Joe crossed the room the moment they saw her and surrounded me, towering over her and peeking down to say hello. Her effect on them was astounding. I hadn’t seen them so happy in ages.

I couldn’t bear to put her down, so I didn’t. The family made its way into the living room and took seats. Had I not been surrounded by so much love, I would’ve been overtaken by the memory of the last time I’d been in that room – when my mother had called, informing me of Max. But with Layla in my arms, in the presence of so many people I held most dear to my heart, I felt no pain.

I could take a deep breath and relax, knowing that with them around, everything was going to be okay.

---------------------------------------------------------------

It wasn’t until I went up to my room and sat down that I realized how exhausted I was. I must not have had a decent night of sleep in weeks, if not months. Danielle had brought in Layla’s crib and set it next to my bed, but Layla was much too excited to sleep. She was wide awake because of all the new, familiar faces she was seeing and didn’t want to miss a thing. I hoped she would tire herself out soon so I could go to bed as well.

“Your hair has gotten so long,” Danielle said as she sat on my bed. I sat cross-legged against my pillows and we situated Layla in between us as she kicked her legs happily, staring at us intently.

“I haven’t cut it in forever,” I noticed, briefly touching a curl of my hair that cascaded over three inches past my shoulder. I hadn’t bothered with it in a long time.

“It’s beautiful,” she replied, smiling and making me blush, “I’ll straighten it for you tomorrow. I’m sure you’ll look amazing.”

I smiled and looked down at Layla, marveling over her beauty.

“Thank you for taking such good care of her,” I said, fixing her tiny dress, “It really means the world to me. I’m so grateful, really.”

I looked into her bright hazel eyes as they filled with sympathy.

“You’re always welcome,” she said softly, “No matter what, we’re all here for you.” She smiled and looked down at the baby. “Besides, she was so much fun to look after. You know, she looks exactly like you.”

I smiled warmly. “You think so?”

“I know so,” she said, making funny faces at her, “Especially her eyes. They’re so big and round, just like yours. And the color is exactly the same. And those huge eyelashes! She’s never going to need mascara,” she laughed.

I laughed with her, taking hold of Layla’s hands and feeling her soft skin against mine.

“You really missed her, didn’t you?” Danielle asked me.

I sighed. “You have no idea.”

“I can tell. I can see it in your eyes and the way you look at her,” she said quietly. She paused for a brief moment. “I hope I can feel love that strong one day.”

I looked up at her.

“You have Kevin,” I said, confused.

Her eyes became wide with surprise. “Oh, no. Don’t get me wrong. I love Kevin with everything I have and more,” she defended, “But there’s just something about a mother’s love for her baby, you know? It’s special.” I watched as her eyes sparkled with longing when she looked at Layla.

I put a free hand on her knee and met her gaze.

“You’re going to have beautiful kids one day, Dani,” I told her, “And you’re going to be a great mom.”

“You think so?” she asked hopefully.

I smiled. “I know so.”

Danielle grinned hugely and opened her mouth to speak again, but she was interrupted by a knock at the door.

“Can I come in?” asked a familiar voice.

“Sure, come on in,” I answered.

Nick peeked his head through an opening in the door and smiled before opening it fully and walking in.

“Well, she’s happy,” he said, noticing Layla’s giant smile. He waved at her. His bright, shining smile shocked me. I hadn’t seen it in so long.

“I’ve never seen her this happy,” Danielle laughed.

“It must be all this attention she’s getting,” I chimed in, smiling.

“Must be,” Nick said. He grinned and sat down beside me, taking one of Layla’s little hands in his.

“Alright, guys,” Danielle sighed, “I’m going to go do the dishes and get ready for bed.” She began to stand.

“Do you need any help?” Nick and I offered at the same time, then laughed.

“You two really are the cutest,” she said, smiling, “And no, I’ll be just fine. It’s not that much. See you in the morning.”

She planted a kiss on each of our foreheads, including Layla’s, and waved goodnight before walking out.

I smiled at Layla as she giggled and made happy noises.

“She’s so beautiful,” Nick said, smiling bigger than ever.

“She really is,” I agreed, “I’m going to change her real quick.”

“No, let me do it. You lay down,” he insisted, placing his hands securely underneath Layla’s tiny body and lifting her up, holding her against his chest. I watched as he stood up and kissed her cheek. I had never felt such warmth in my heart. I knew he would be the perfect father.

“Lay down,” he repeated, laughing.

“Alright, alright,” I said humorously, leaning back against the pillows and pulling my knees to my chest. I couldn’t tear my eyes away from the scene of him holding her.

I watched intently as he carried her to the dresser and used one hand to pick out pajamas for her to wear while keeping the other hand on her. She snuggled up to his shoulder comfortably and watched him with big, gorgeous eyes.

With tiny lime green pajamas in his hand, he closed the chest of drawers and carried Layla back to the bed, laying her down in the middle, where she’d been before. I laid sideways, resting my head on my hand to see clearer. I watched in awe as he gently took off her dress and socks, folding them and setting them aside, then tickled her bare stomach, making her laugh. He laughed with her and the sound was almost too beautiful for me to bear. He slipped her into the pajama suit and slowly buttoned her up, putting on socks to make her more cozy. Before laying down on the opposite side of her, he kissed her forehead and fixed the little, small brunette hair that she had.

“You’re so good with her,” I said softly, marveling over him. Layla kicked excitedly, glancing from me to him.

He smiled. “I love her so much,” he said.

“I know you do. She loves you, too.”

“You look tired, babe.” He looked into my eyes with concern.

“Yeah,” I sighed, “I’m pretty beat. But I’ll be okay. How are you feeling?”

“Much better,” he said, “Being home helps a lot.”

“Tell me about it.”

He waited a moment, letting Layla have a firm grip on his finger.

“Everything’s going to be alright now,” he said quietly, smiling at her, “I promise.”

I nodded, believing him.

“I love you,” I told him.

He looked back up at me, still smiling. “I love you, too. So much.”

He leaned down briefly to kiss my forehead.

“You should sleep,” he said against my skin.

Before I could respond, Layla squealed happily and held onto his finger even tighter.

I laughed. “She is so happy. It’s insane.”

“I know, she’s not even tired,” he said, looking down at her, “Layla, you have to go to sleep so Mommy can sleep, too.”

She just looked up at him innocently in response.

“Yeah, you have to sleep,” he went on as if he was having a conversation with her, “We’ll have more fun tomorrow. We’re not going anywhere.”

She blinked, but did nothing, as if she was simply mesmerized by his voice.

“She’s not going to go to sleep,” I said, laughing, “She’s too excited.”

“Bet you she will,” he said, winking at me.

“Oh, you have an idea?”

“Of course. It always works, too. Watch.”

He smiled before sitting and picking her up, holding her against his chest again. He laid back down, keeping her there. I snuggled closer to him and Layla turned her head to face me, holding up her tiny hand by her face and staring at me. Nick kept a hand on her back, gently rubbing it, and began to sing.

“You and I must make a pact, we must bring salvation back. Where there is love, I’ll be there.”

The song took me all the way back to many months ago, when Layla wasn’t even born and my life had been on the edge. It was the first song Nick had ever sung to her. I tried to hold back tears.

“I’ll reach out my hand to you. I’ll have faith in all you do. Just call my name, and I’ll be there.”

His voice was so soft and relaxing that even I was getting drowsier by the minute. I watched as Layla’s eyes began to get heavy.

“I’ll be there to comfort you. Build my world of dreams around you, I’m so glad that I found you. I’ll be there with a love that’s strong. I’ll be your strength, I’ll keep holding on.”

It didn’t take long for Layla’s tiny breaths to deepen into a soft slumber and her eyes to gently close. Nick continued to sing until the song ended, just in case she woke up, but she never did. He gave me a cue to take her and I held her to my chest gently, careful not to move her too much and wake her up. I traveled to the crib sitting not far from the bed and placed her inside, supporting the back of her head. Nick appeared with a small blanket and I wrapped her in it, kissing her forehead and turning on her aquarium night light.

“Told you,” Nick whispered, wrapping his arms around my waist from behind and resting his head on my shoulder.

“I will admit you’re the best at putting her to sleep,” I replied quietly, placing my hands over his.

“Now you can relax.”

He began with a soft, gentle kiss on my neck, giving me goosebumps. I closed my eyes at his touch. He moved down my shoulder, exposed from my tank-top, and back up to my neck, then my cheek. He left a trail of kisses along my skin, comforting me the way only he could.

He held onto my waist tightly and spun me around, looking into my eyes. He said nothing, but he didn’t have to. I knew exactly how he felt when I looked into his eyes: relieved, relaxed, and loved. He took my face in his hands gently and hesitated, hovering over my skin, until he finally kissed me, warming my skin and giving me butterflies. The kiss was short, but sweeter than any kiss he’d ever given me before. He took my hand and led me to my bed, laying me down before laying down beside me.

“Did that help?” he asked, almost smirking.

I snuggled close to his chest, breathing in his sweet scent.

“More than you know,” I answered.

“Good.”

I sighed deeply and closed my eyes. The feeling of having his arms wrapped tightly around me, listening to his steady heartbeat, and knowing Layla was sleeping soundly just a few feet away made the moment absolutely perfect. I slipped into a deep sleep, having no nightmares and no memories of the piercing pain we’d felt the past few weeks. Instead, I dreamed happily of my beautiful family and the beautiful life we were living together.
♠ ♠ ♠
I was pretty excited when I found the picture at the top.
It reminded me exactly of Nick because of the ring :)
Anyway, this was 11 pages in word. I feel like you guys deserve it.
I had such a good time writing this chapter. After all the depressing stuff, it was fun to finally write a happy chapter and it made me smile.
So I hope you like it and you should comment, telling me what you think.
Hope everyone's having a good week!
xoxo