The Kids Don't Stand A Chance

Chapter X

The next afternoon in school I felt particularly good. Kylie smirked when she saw the picture of Zack I brought in, and I knew I had done well. And so the game continued.

“Maybe we can see a movie this weekend?” I suggested, taking another scoop of my yogurt. Kylie shrugged as she unwrapped her sandwich.

“There’s nothing out that looks good,” she responded flatly. I raised my eyebrow, knowing for a fact that there was a romantic comedy out that she had been looking forward to for months now.

“Alright,” I said, with an equal amount of expression – or lack thereof. “Well, I personally don’t want to sit on my ass all weekend. Why don’t we go shopping? A new Forever 21 just opened in the city, and you know how cheap –“

“Hey, Ave,” I heard suddenly, and when I turned to my left Zack was sitting right next to me. He kissed my cheek quickly and turned to face Kylie. I swear, her glare could have shattered glass. But Zack didn’t seem to notice. “Hi, Kylie.”

I half expected her to pounce on him (though why she would have, I didn’t know) but suddenly her glare vanished, replaced with what looked – to the unknowing viewer– to be a genuine smile. “Hey, Zack. How’re you?”

“I’m good, thanks,” he replied, before turning towards me. “I was wondering if you wanted to go to band practice this weekend?” Questioned Zack, and I grinned. I suppose he sensed a bit of awkwardness, because he quickly faced Kylie and continued with, “You’re more than welcome to come, too.” He paused. “Usually we have band practice during the week, but Alex, our singer, is grounded.”

“Aw, what for?” Wondered Kylie, her voice dripping with the sweet tone that guys loved.

Zack shrugged. “For sneaking out of the house to be with his girlfriend, I think. Something like that.” Kylie’s face fell, but her smiled returned when Zack added, “Jack, our guitarist, just broke up with his girlfriend, so he’s been helping Alex sneak around. He has nothing better to do, you know? I guess it was only a matter of time until Alex was caught – Jack can be a real dumb ass sometimes.”

“Sounds like your band is a real group of characters,” Kylie said with a girlish giggle. I just tilted my head. What the fuck was going on?

“Yeah,” mumbled Zack, trying to hold back a smile. I guess he was just reminiscing, or something. “Anyways, I’ll see you both on Saturday, then? Band practice is at noon at Jack’s house. I’ll text you directions later, Ave.” On that note, he kissed me cheek and walked back to the table he usually sat at, leaving me with a particularly gleeful looking Kylie.

“Why were you so quiet?” She asked a few seconds later, a grin still adorning her lips.

“Why are you so eager to meet his friends?” I snapped in response, and she just laughed.

“Ava, one day you’ll see that being with the same guy for this amount of time is just…” She paused, as if searching for the right word. “Boring!”

“Wait,” I said, putting my hands on the table. “Are you talking about Brad? Because we’ve only been playing this game for a month now. You’re actually sick of him already?”

Kylie just shrugged. “I’m a needy women. And I need change.” My mouth gaped open, and I stuttered out the first response that came to my mind.

“Does – Does this mean that I win?”

“Win!?” She exclaimed suddenly. “No! I’m still going to play the game. But there was never any kind of rule against us fooling around with any other guys. Just them fooling around with other girls.” She grabbed her bag. “Really, Ava-ave. Sometimes I wonder if we’re even playing the same game here.”

-----------

Finding our way to Jack’s house was a lot easier than I thought a week later, but trying to drive with Kylie bouncing excitedly in the passenger seat was no easy task.

I turned the car off as we pulled into his driveway, and by the time I was unbuckling my seatbelt Kylie was already knocking on his door. I rolled my eyes as I checked my hair, and slowly made my way towards the door. I saw Zack poking his head out waiting for me, and when I got closer I could already tell Kylie was better acquainting herself with his band mates. I embraced Zack, enjoying the comforting feeling his arms wrapping around my middle.

“Thanks for inviting us over,” I said, and he smiled before leaning down to kiss my lips. I felt my cheeks heat up, and I wasn’t sure if I liked the feeling or disliked it. Jack, Alex, Rian and Kylie were already making their way towards the garage, and just as Zack and I were about to go there, as well, I caught him off guard by taking his hand in mine.

Usually he was the one initiating any kind of physical contact.

The next few hours were spent in Jack’s garage, listening to the boys practice, but mostly just bicker amongst themselves about what sounded good and what didn’t. About halfway through two more girls came in, introduced to us as Kara and Lisa. The two of them seemed more at ease with adding in their comments, but the boys rarely took their suggestions. Still, they were friendly and content to have company.

What concerned me most, though, were the flirty looks Kylie continually sent to Jack, and the grins he returned to her.

I know I had just been introduced to Jack formally, but I felt bad for him in a way. He didn’t deserve this.

Neither did Zack.
♠ ♠ ♠
I'm sorry the last chapter took so long, so hopefully this makes up for it =]