Sequel: Never Look Back

Fearing Death

006

Jon couldn’t believe how much work it took to adopt Jordyn. He had to file with the city, be approved by the state, attend several court dates, and even have his apartment inspected. A sharp young lawyer working for the state was trying rather hard for his request to be denied. She liked to protest due to his career, supposed lifestyle, and of course, the fact that he would be taking care of Jordyn alone.

However, as much as Jon would have liked to keep his accreditation singular, he knew that his status in the city and the undoubtedly large paycheck he gathered weighed in his favor. He used that power to push the process along as quickly as possible. A week had passed since he stepped foot in Terry Goldblum’s office and thankfully, he was getting ready to make his final court appearance; the same one that both Jordyn and the Fogley’s would also be present.

Because Jon was also petitioning to have the Fogley home inspected, that was the only reason the Fogley’s needed to attend. Terry informed Jon that legally, the Fogley’s wouldn’t have needed to come to the hearing otherwise.

Dressing in his best suit, Jon left that day with his closest friends in tow, Patrick, Sara, Adam and his wife Nikkita, as well as his mentor and coach, Joel Quenneville.

When arrived to the Chicago courthouse, he quickly spotted Jordyn, grinning at her as she smiled excitedly. He noticed she looked showered and her hair was pushed back from her face with a headband that matched her sundress. It was clear that the Fogley’s attempted to make her appear much less homely than usual. He gave her a secret smile when she tugged on the end of her dress and crinkled her nose before he could take his seat beside Terry.

The judge entered the courtroom, an avid Blackhawks fan who was more than happy to be there that day. The process went along flawlessly, Jon had all of his information in order and couldn’t believe that soon enough he’d finally be Jordyn’s caretaker.

Soon after the hearing had finished, Jon, along with Terry and Patrick, who was serving as the witness were called into the judge’s chambers as well as Jordyn. They were ready to finalize the papers that would make her his forever.

“Still think this is a good idea?” Patrick whispered to his best friend as they waited for Jordyn who damn near skipped into the room. Jon flashed Patrick a genuine smile, something that people didn’t generally see from the young captain, and that was enough for Patrick.

“Let me tell you, nothing makes me happier than watching a family become complete.” Judge Orson smiled, taking a seat behind the desk as Jordyn hopped up into Jon’s lap as he took a seat on the opposite side of the desk. “Mr. Kane, as our witness, you will need to sign here.” The Judge pointed out to Patrick who was happy to sign the legal document.

“So I’m really going to be yours?” Jordyn whispered to Jon, wanting to keep her comment between the two of them.

Jon looked down at the little girl who had so easily taken over his life in the past few weeks and nodded. “Mine and only mine.” He whispered back, a firm arm around her middle, keeping her body close to his as he grasped the pen in his right hand, signing off on the paper that would make Jordyn his.

The group crowded around the desk for a photo after all had been said and done, and the first picture of the little Toews family had been taken. Jon nearly squeezed the life from Jordyn as he lifted her into his arms. He wanted to shelter and protect her from all the horrible things in the world, and hopefully, erase the horrible things that had already been inflicted upon her.

Jon and Jordyn left the courthouse that day, climbing into his car as giant smiles covered both of their faces. Neither of them could consider their future to be any brighter.

•••

Mon Dieu, Jonathan, this isn’t a proper bedroom for a little girl!” Andree Toews insisted as she inspected the apartment a week since Jon had brought Jordyn home for good.

“I know, Maman, but we just haven’t had time getting around to making her a room and all that.” Jon ran a hand through his hair, a small smile tugging at his lips. He couldn’t believe how much happier he had been since Jordyn had come home. They had such a good time together and free and away from the eyes of the press as well. Sure, he knew that as soon as hockey started up again, he’d have more problems, but so far, it was easy to stay low key with Jordyn.

Andree had yet to meet Jordyn since she, Bryan and David had arrived that morning. Patrick and Sara had swept her away to grocery shop for her “welcoming” party that night.

“Well that’s going to change before we leave.” Andree insisted, walking back into the family room where she stowed away a cooler. She granted Jon’s wish of lots of homemade hot-dishes, loading them into the freezer with instructions to heat them up written right on the tinfoil that covered them.

“We’re going this weekend, I swear.” Jon insisted. He was taking Jordyn to IKEA and probably to wherever he could go that sold paint, and then, talk Patrick into helping him. Patrick and Jordyn had really taken a shine to one another and she loved when he and Sara would come by for dinner or just to hang out. She could even whoop his butt at a game or two of ping-pong in Jon’s trophy and game room. Jon was glad that his best friend got along with her so well. Jon grinned happily when the front door opened.

“Honey! We’re home!” Patrick called, filing into the kitchen, holding four grocery bags, followed by Sara who carried two, as well as a twelve pack of pop and then finally Jordyn who carried two other twelve packs. They had done most of their shopping yesterday, but had a few last minute things to grab before the party.

“Jord? C’mere, babe.” Jon swept the girl up into his arms, making her giggle uncontrollably as he carried her into the family. “Jord,” He began, setting her down, straightening out her yellow top. Sara had brought over a few clothes for her when she had come home, just a few things to get her through the week she had picked out at The Children’s Place before they could really go shopping. “This is my Mom, Dad, and my brother, Davey.” Jon introduced as Bryan and Davey joined Andree in front of the little girl.

“Hi.” Jordyn waved with a big smile, a twinkle in her blue eyes before Bryan could wrap his arms around her, hugging her tightly. Hoisting her up onto his hip, Andree stepped towards them, pushing a lock of Jordyn’s hair from her face.

“My first grandbaby.” She smiled, tears welling in her eyes as she pressed a kiss to Jordyn’s cheek.

“You’ve never had a grandbaby before?” Jordyn asked, causing Bryan to laugh a little as Andree shook her head, a big smile still spread wide across her face. “That’s fine, I’ve never had a Grandma either.” She finished, making all four of them laugh. Jon stood with his arms folded across his chest proudly. He was glad to see that his mother could witness firsthand what a good thing he had done. He watched on as Jordyn exploded into a fit of giggles as Bryan kissed all over her face. Sweeping Jordyn off into the next room, Jon parted from his parents as he went back to the kitchen to help Patrick and Sara set up.

“So, how’d it go?” Sara asked, pushing the dining room table up against the wall before spreading out a plastic tablecloth, purple, Jordyn’s favorite color.

“Yeah how’s JT with your parents?” Patrick asked, using his nickname for Jordyn that she had grown very fond of, JT, short for Jordyn Toews.

“Perfect, of course, I’m surprised my Mom didn’t turn into a complete blubbering mess.” He laughed as he set out plates and forks in cups on the table. They had bought lots of gourmet subs from Lolo’s sub shop, had fresh fruit, Sara’s famous homemade potato salad, calico beans and of course, a giant, delicious cake. After Jon and Jordyn had sampled many different kinds from several different shops, they decided on a vanilla, white cake with strawberry mousse layers. It was a tough job, but someone had to do it. Patrick filled decorative tubs full of ice and mixtures of pop, water, and beer. It appeared that they were ready for the party; people would be showing up within the next twenty minutes.

Jon wandered back out into the game room to see Davey and Jordyn in a heap on the ground, he was, undoubtedly letting her win a wrestling match and she nearly burst of laughter when he lifted her high over his head, spinning her quickly.

“Hey now, a little more carefully.” Jon insisted with a grimace. Davey set Jordyn down and she ran, a little crookedly back into the family room to find Andree and Bryan.

“She’s awesome.” Davey laughed, mussing his long hair back into place. “I kinda dig being an Uncle if it means I get to spend time with her.” He finished, making Jon realize something. Even when he had only considered adopting Jordyn, he never really saw it as becoming a father. But now that his parents were her Grandparents and Davey being her Uncle, it would make sense that he was her Dad. They had never really talked about it; Did Jordyn see him as her Dad? Did she want to call him Dad? Or just Jon? Did he even want to be called Dad?

“Jon! People are here!” Jordyn called. Jon walked back into the family room to see Jordyn happily perched in Bryan’s lap, Andree fussing with the purple socks on her tiny feet that rested in her lap.

“Come on.” Jon insisted, tilting his head towards the door and holding out his hand. Jordyn leapt up from her seat, but not before planting a loud kiss on Bryan’s cheek before taking Jon’s hand in hers. Jon opened the door, and before the guests or Jon could say anything, Jordyn squealed out a greeting.

“Hi Adam!” She smiled, bouncing on her heels. She remembered Adam and his wife from the day they came to court, being there when she finally got to go home with Jon. Adam was nice and goofy and she liked to be around him.

“Hey JT!” He smiled, giving her a big bear hug. “Jord, you remember Kita, and this is Caleb, she’s seven, so just a bit younger than you.” He stepped aside to reveal a girl a little younger than Jordyn with brown hair and brown eyes. She waved shyly before Jordyn could grab her hand and run off into the apartment.

“Too bad she’s so shy, she’ll have such a hard time making friends.” Kita smiled, eyes twinkling with a joke as she held she and Adam’s middle child, Harper, who was just about two and painfully shy.

“I know, it’s so hard to get her out of her shell.” Jon laughed as he reached out to hold Harper. He had spent his fair amount of the time with the Burish family and he was one of the few people that Harper allowed to hold her. Their youngest must have been at home with a babysitter.

“Hey baby girl.” He whispered, coddling her softly as he walked into the kitchen. “Sara?” He called, walking into the dining room to see she and Patrick talking in the corner, big smiles on their faces as he schmoozed her up.

“Yeah Jon?” She asked, sipping from her glass Coke bottle, picked by Jordyn and Jon seeing as Coke in the glass bottle was both their favorite.

“Would you mind getting Jordyn and having her change into her outfit?” He asked politely. He and Jordyn had picked out a nice sundress for the occasion a few days ago at Macy’s and she still hadn’t changed since she came home from the grocery store.

“Of course, Jon.” She smiled, setting off in search of the little girl. Jon wandered back into the family room, handing Harper off to his mother who was just short of baby-crazy. Harper didn’t fuss and they both enjoyed the attention. The next time Jordyn made her appearance in the family room, she was in her yellow sundress and her hair was neatly combed, bangs clipped back to show off her pretty blue eyes. There were also much more people in the apartment, eating, drinking, and having a good time. Jon had no idea people were going to bring gifts, but very quickly, a gift table had been set up near the dining table, as well as a small basket for cards, thank God for Sara.

Walking through the thick crowd of people, Jon finally found Jordyn talking to Hjalmarsson, batting her eyelashes and blushing more and more with every word that left his mouth.

“Jonny.” She smiled, bouncing over to him, reaching upwards signaling that she’d like for him to hold her.

“Are you having fun?” He asked, loving the small moment that he could have her all to himself again. She nodded, trying hard to suppress a yawn but failing. The party had been in full swing for an hour and he knew that it was a lot of excitement for one night. She had been sleeping so solidly all week from all the goings-on and for that, he was thankful.

“All these people are here… for me?” She asked quietly, not wanting him to know that she was slightly intimidated at the idea. People had never wanted to see, or be around Jordyn before. Jon nodded, walking her into the kitchen and setting her on the countertop.

“People brought presents and everything. They want to celebrate you being here with me, us being together.” He finished with a crooked smile. Jordyn reached up to trace the faint, ghostly white scar just above his lip tenderly with her small pointer finger.

“What happened?” She asked worriedly, her blonde eyebrows knitting together.

“Hockey.” He offered with a soft laugh as she stared at it intently. Their small moment was broken when Patrick entered the kitchen, a plate of delicious cake in each hand.

“Who wants some dessert?” He asked with a big smile.

“But I haven’t even eaten any dinner.” Jordyn informed as he handed her the plate, a fork stuck in the dessert already.

“That’s why parties are so great.” Patrick insisted, handing the other plate to Jon. “At a party, no rules apply.” He winked, making her giggle. Jon grinned down at Jordyn in wonder, so thankful that she was finally his.

And he intended to keep it that way.
♠ ♠ ♠
another update!
and it's even longer than usual!
i'm so so so thankful for all twenty-one of you that commented!
i was so overwhelmed and surprised! thank you all so much!
i hope this is a proper way to say thanks!
let me know if you liked this one, it's mostly filler but i felt it was needed =]
<33