Status: oneshot.

Alone.

1/1

It was dark and the streets smelled of blood and fear. The girl ran through them, not disturbed by the images of horror around her. She had a mission, one given to her by someone important, someone she didn’t dare cross.

She was small, tiny, and fragile. Her hair was light blonde and it flowed down her shoulders in waves, caressing her young face, framing her large, baby blue eyes. Her skin was pale and stood out in the darkness, the sounds of her bare feet pattering against the road as she ran fast and quick. She wasn’t older than twelve, but she had been specially chosen by the god of war himself, Ares.

To keep her safe, the god had sent a dog with her, a vicious, fierce dog that looked more like a beast than a canine. It ran next to her, warding off anyone that lay in the shadows. It did not harm her; in fact, it felt almost a compassion for her. She trusted it completely, and that was how it had always been.

She was swift and that was the main reason Ares had selected her. She was innocent looking, but she was as vicious as the dog that ran beside her. She had her command and she would follow them, no exceptions.

In one hand was a letter, in the other, a spear. If the demands of the letter weren’t met, she was to use the spear. Murder was nothing new to her. She had been working for Ares’ as long as she could remember, and when you’re working with the god of murder and bloodshed, you become desensitized to said things.

This war had gone on for years now, as long as the girl had been alive. The world had turned to a bloodbath. People no longer trusted, everyone was for themselves, alone in this large dark world. It was like a theme park for Ares. He was having the time of his immortal life while so many mortals were suffering.

He watched the girl from his temple, keeping a close watch on her. He had always felt protective over the girl. It didn’t matter that she wasn’t related to him in any way, he had found her and she was his now. He raised her in his image, and she was loyal and obedient.

“You are worried.” His sister’s voice came from behind him. He didn’t look at Athena, merely kept his eyes on the picture of the running girl.

“She is my best warrior.”

“And your closest friend.” Ares made no comment, letting his sister’s words sink in. She was right, of course. He didn’t talk to any of his family now. They all stayed in Olympus, choosing to remove themselves from the mortal’s fight while he stayed on Earth, cherishing every moment of it. He was alone. He had never considered the girl a friend. She was a comrade, a warrior, but not a friend.

“For someone who never visits, you seem to think yourself wise on this subject.” He spoke after a quiet moment. He could hear his sister’s smile in her voice.

“You have always been a loner.” He smirked, turning around to look at his sister.

“Still am. Being here does not change that.” He said, crossing his arms over his chest. She smiled graciously, nodding her head.

“You should help her. You truly care for her, Ares. Do not let her get hurt.” Athena spoke quietly and wisely, her years of life and wisdom coming through in her words. He shrugged, turning back around to keep an eye on the girl while still speaking to his sister.

“She is mortal. She will leave eventually.”

“Perhaps. But for the time being, she is serving you loyally. Do not take that for granted. For once, do not let your stubborn attitude be your downfall.” She said, placing a gentle hand on his shoulder.

“I must go. Zeus wishes to speak to me. I will visit you soon, Ares.” She said quietly before disappearing as silent as she had arrived. He nodded, taking in her words as he sat down again, watching the girl and thinking. The silence in the temple was deafening. Usually gunshots and shouts could be heard, noises from the third world war ringing from the outside into his temple, but it was night, and at night everything became silent.

You should help her. Athena’s words rang through his head and soon he could not stand it. He stood up, leaving his temple and moving quietly, silently. He appeared behind the girl, a few yards away. It gave him a slight sense of comfort to know that he could protect her if needed.

After all, she is my best warrior. He told himself, staying invisible to mortals. He watched as her slim frame moved into the tent of a general, American, Ares believed. He watched the silhouettes of the general and the young girl, and heard the general’s voice shout in outrage. The slender silhouette flew to the ground, and there was a piercing gunshot that shattered the silence of the night.

Ares felt himself grow furious, enraged, livid. He flew into the tent with lighting speed, tearing at the bodyguards and right up to the general, his hands wrapping around the weak man’s throat and holding him above the air.

“What kind of man shoots a child?!” Ares half-growled, half-spat. The general’s face started turning red and he sputtered, the fear apparent in his eyes. Ares threw the man out of the tent, his anger turning his eyes a blazing, fire-y red. He snapped his fingers and out of nowhere packs of rabid dogs and boars began attacking the man. Ares turned from the front of the tent to the back, where the young girl was slowly slipping away from him.

He cradled her gently in his arms, surprisingly careful for a god of war. She looked up weakly, a faint smile crossing her lips.

“Have I served you well, Father?” Her voice was weak and high, and it trailed from her lips as if it pained her to speak.

“Yes. Sleep, my daughter. You have served me well. May you achieve Elysium.” Ares said quietly. She smiled faintly before letting out a shuddering breath, her baby blue eyes closing forever. Ares reached into his pocket, slipping a golden coin into her mouth.

“Keep her safe, Hades.” He muttered, gently placing her body down before turning and walking out of the tent into the darkness, completely and utterly alone.