Status: Complete.

You're Not What I Want.

This is all I've got. This is all I want.

"Matt!" She screamed at the man, in shock that he was acting the way he was. Matt was dancing drunkenly on a nearby table, laughing hysterically while people around him either cheered him on or walked away quickly from the table, trying to get as far away as possible.

"Yeah babe?" He called back over his shoulder, stemming a new dance move which was received with great applause and further laughter.

"Get down from the table! Now!" The girl shouted at him, pulling on his leg to try and get him down but failed due to the fact he was a good four inches taller and 20 kilos heavier than her.

"I am babe, just give me a minute."

"Matt, listen to me! Get down from there right this minute!" She called up to him again, pulling his leg more this time and putting as much weight on it as she could to get him down. It again, wasn't worth doing as he didn't shift an inch.

"I'm listening hon, just another minute," Matt told her, but thought I'm not listening instead.

"Matt, play your part, you're an adult now! Come on! Get down, you're not a kid anymore!" She told him off and the stereo was turned down. Matt whined before grabbing her hand and jumping down from the table with a thud. He giggled and swayed slightly as he adjusted himself to the change of heights.

The girl merely sighed.

"Aw, come on Sammy, I was just having a little bit of fun." Matt giggled again and Sam pulled him out of the bar.

"Come on, Matt, time to go."
-
"Sam? You there?" Matt questioned, looking around his empty house. He walked through each room, stepping lightly as he did so. A floorboard creaked as he entered his room and found the girl sitting on the end of his bed.

"We need to talk, Matt."

"Okay. What about?" Matt anxiously rubbed his arms as he walked over to her before sitting in the middle of the bed, making her turn around to face him.

"Us." She stated and Matt winced. He knew it had been coming but the pain felt as harsh, if not more so, than he'd expected.

"All right, shoot." Matt told her and she sighed.

"I can't keep shrugging off everything that's happening with us. I can't keep saying that it's okay, because guess what Matty? It's not. You keep ignoring all of my attempts to fix it, too. I've noticed you doing it, I'll ask you if you're listening and you won't even reply. I have to ask you something three times over before you'll finally respond! I can't keep doing this, Matt. I can't stay with you anymore. Okay? Do you get what I'm saying?" Sam finished, looking at him with exhausted eyes.

Matt looked taken aback but again, he knew somewhere deep in his gut that it was only a matter of time before the day would come that he'd have to face this.

"Yeah. But, I want you to rethink what you're doing. We've been there for each other through thick and thin and we may have had some problems along the way, but we can fix this." Matt tried to reason before Sam could cut in.

"No, that's the thing Matt, we can't! You've played your part and I've played mine and there's nothing left to say about us anymore. We're nothing now, okay? I can't keep pretending that every thing's perfect when it so obviously isn't. I keep having to change my thoughts, my opinions to fit in with you and your friends and I'm sick of it. I can't take this relationship with you, anymore Matty, and I can't take this town. I have to go." She finally finished, grabbing her coat from the rack behind the lounge and walking out the front door, slamming it a bit in her wake.

"But, Sam. I love you," Matt whispered to himself as he heard the girl's car rev up and leave his driveway, "I fucking blew it. Again. Nice work, Matt." He scolded himself before heading upstairs to grab his phone. Tonight was definitely gong to be a long, bad night.
-
Matt wasn't determined anymore. Sam was gone and he'd stayed the prick she'd implied him to be. He tossed over in his bed, looking at his bedroom. It reeked of something that was growing moldy and sweaty shirts. His guitar lay in the corner of his room, gathering the thinnest layer of dust around the strings and on the fretboard. He mulled over the choices he'd given himself to do for the day and decided he should get up.

He felt like shit and smelt even worse.
His hair was matted and clumped, sticking together and feeling like it had come straight out of a deep fryer. He picked up random items of clothing, sniffing at each to see what smelt worse, him or the clothes. When he'd finally found some that were alright, he hopped in the shower and washed the dirt from his hair and skin before exiting and drying himself, throwing his clothes on quickly before going down the stairs and picking up his car keys from a glass bowl near the door. He'd finally had a plan of action and prayed as he gripped the steering wheel tightly that it would work.

When he arrived at his destination, he checked to see what cars were there before going in. He went straight to the room where he knew the person he wanted to see would be before knocking gently. A fluttering voice told him to come in and he opened the door quietly, waiting for it to slam him back in the cheek and throw him back against the wall. He took slow, small footsteps to the person's bed before clearing his throat to grab their attention.

"Sam?" He asked, curious to know what would happen but fearful too.

"What, Matthew?" She questioned, tone cold and unwanting. He felt like he'd just been kicked in the chest by a sumo wrestler and took a quick step back. This was the side of Sam that Matt hated to see, let alone be greeted by.

"I just wanted to say I'm sorry. I put you through hell and back a few times when we were, you know...And I just wanted to come around and apologize for everything. I was being a straight out idiot with how I acted. I'm so sorry, Sammy. I love you, I really do and I think you're the only person who could love a prick like me." Matt finished, hands in his pockets and swaying nervously as Sam seemed to pick apart his apology. She finally turned to look at him, uncertainty heavy in her eyes.

"But, Matt, that's just the thing. I don't know if I want to love you anymore." Sam told him, sighing before pulling him down to the bed with him. She looked directly into his eyes before lashing her fingers through his hair, gently tugging and caressing loose strands here and there. Matt leaned his neck into her hands and she sighed.

"Just try, Sammy, please?" He begged her, sadness overcoming every other emotion that may have shone in his eyes. Sam sighed again and looked at him seriously before kissing him gently on the lips. Matt didn't move until Sam pulled away and looked at her expectantly, waiting for an answer. She looked up at him blankly before giving him an answer.

"I can't, Matt. I'm sorry." She turned away and Matt blinked back a tear that threatened to drop before nodding quietly and leaving again.

"Matty?" Sam called out to him and he turned to look at her, waiting to hear what she had to say and hoping against every will he had that she'd want him back, invite him back into her arms where he believed he belonged and become a part of her life again.

"I'm sorry." Sam gave him a sympathetic look before asking him to close the door as he left. Matt nodded numbly and left her house. He opened the driver door to his car and sat in the seat, laying his forehead against the steering wheel and waiting for something to happen. Something he couldn't place nor pick out, but waited all the same. A few minutes later, he finally put the keys in the ignition and drove away.
♠ ♠ ♠
Thanks for reading.