Sequel: Bullet and a Target

Code of Honor

Chapter 12

The smirk that overtook his features concerned me.

“Maybe your soldier isn’t so bad,” he muttered and walked off.

I didn’t like this. This wasn’t right. I had no idea what was in there but if it belonged to the army t had to be guarded. This wasn’t going to end well. Wearily I watched Dimitri walk up to the door.

“Dimitri,” I called hoping to stop him.

He pulled on the door but it remained closed. It was locked. I had expected as much. I wanted nothing more than to turn away from this and go back. This only spelled bad news. Suddenly Dimitri turned on his heel and walked down the side of the small building. Stopping to glance at a window.

“So what you’re going to break in?” I accused in a joking tone hoping to lure him away.

He turned and smirked at me. “How else are we going to get in?”

“Dimitri!”

He ignored me and disappeared around the building. I walked closer but stopped before the front of the building. Not wanting to get closer.

“I’ll leave you here,” I threatened loudly but there was no answer. “Dimitri...for fucks sake Dimitri you’re going to get yourself killed.”

“No I won’t.”

I jumped out of my skin and looked for him. He was standing in the doorway to the building. The door wide open in his hand. I put my hand to my chest and tried to will my heart to slow down.

“Army security sucks,” he commented.

“You suck.”

“Mature...Stand guard while I get some stuff,”

“Dimitri!”

He went back inside anyway. Quickly I glanced around. I didn’t like being out here on my own. I felt exposed and vulnerable. I looked over my options once and followed him inside. It was a small building. Only a few rooms. I guessed it had been an old store. But everything had been pulled down to make room. Including a wall. Now all that stood were boxes, crates and racks of guns. I stared around in amazement. It was a storage facility I noted. I seen Dimitri in the far corner looking longingly over a rack of guns.

I shook my head and turned my attention elsewhere. I peeked into the closest crate to me. It was full of bottles stacked neatly. I picked one up and snorted. Of course the world could go to shit but they’d still find a way to have alcohol. I put it back and moved to the next box. This one was full of cans of food. They had no labels but had their contents written on the side in black. Quickly I looked around. This place was full of food, guns, ammunition and if I was right the large plastic containers in the corner held water.

“We have hit the jackpot,” Dimitri said suddenly echoing my thoughts.

I dropped my empty bag to the floor and started to pile all the food I could carry into it. Dimitri did the same. When it was full of food I filled the empty spaces with ammunition. I took it out of the box so I could fit more in. When my bag was full I dragged it over to the centre of the floor and walked over to Dimitri.

“What have you got?”

“You got heaps of food right?” he asked and I nodded. “I put some in and grabbed some other stuff to.”

He opened his bag and I peeked inside. There was some food and ammo like mine. But he also had several small boxes, which upon examination I found were cigarettes. He’s also taken a few of the bottles I’d found and a few guns laid in the bottom of his bag.

“I figured since I had the long bag I’d grab them,” He smirked and I laughed. We were stealing army weapons.

He zipped up the bag and carried it over to mine. We checked the room once more but found nothing new. Before we left Dimitri walked over and hauled two of the large water containers into his arms. Realizing he had too much to carry I took his bag. They were heavy but I sucked it up just thinking of the prizes we had.

We pushed to get back as quickly as we could though we were slowed down by our treasures. Both of us were too excited and delighted to care though. When we finally made it back I dragged the bags up the stairs feeling the muscles in my back strain painfully. I promptly ignored it and took the last flight of stairs. The hideout was empty when we returned. We were back early. I dumped the bags on the floor and Dimitri followed suit. Leaving the water with the bags. We studied our loot with proud expressions.

“Think we got time for one more try?”

I smirked at him. “It’s worth a shot.”

There was too much left behind we could use. It would be pointless to leave it. With that we emptied our bags out onto the floor and ran back downstairs. Our backs and arms complained and ached but we kept going. Laughing and jumping around as we ran. This had to be the biggest haul our group had ever gotten. Our spirits had lifted to new levels.

When we returned to the small building Dimitri snuck back inside and let me in the front door. We stacked out bags once more. This time I looked for things I didn’t get before. I found some medical kits and took several. I took two blankets and laid them over the top to create more room in my bag. Then I stacked in more food until the bag was full. Dimitri did the same.

This time we left out the ammunition. Upon leaving once more Dimitri grabbed the last container of water and we locked the door behind us. We turned to run only to come face to face with a large soldier. My heart stopped. He was a large man with short buzzed hair. He was watching us wearily but hadn’t lifted his gun yet. I glanced down, our red bands were hidden from view.

“What are you doing?” he ordered.

There was something about him. He wasn’t like the others but he wasn’t like Riley either. He was big but his eyes were soft. He reminded me of my dad. I wondered why he hadn’t shot us yet. Maybe he just thought we were lost kids. His hand moved and I watched it wearily. He had moved it to his gun but hadn’t lifted it yet.

Then I noticed something. He had a colourful bracelet around his wrist. It was made of small beads. Something a child would make. Three beads in the centre spelled the word dad. Proving my point. He was a father I realized. Maybe that was what had spared our lives. He seen us as kids not thieves. Dimitri was stumped. I took control.

“We’re sorry sir,” I mumbled in the post pitiful voice I could manage. “We didn’t know...and we haven’t had anything in ages...”

His eyes softened and hope rose on my chest. Maybe I could make this work. I’d had years of practice on my dad. Maybe I could do the same to someone else’s. He glanced over what he had and reached out for my bag. I gave it to him slowly, hesitating for effect. He opened it and looked inside. I thought back to what I had put in there. Blankets and food lined the top. Hopefully he’d just see us as hungry and homeless children. A moment later he gave it back and nodded off behind him.

“Go on,” He said. “Just don’t do it again.”

I thanked him mercilessly in and glanced at Dimitri. We took off quickly only glancing behind us once to see the man watching us go with a worried look on his face.

“Genius!” Dimitri announced as we turned the corner.

“Luckily,” I snorted. “You’d be dead if it wasn’t for me.”

“Hmm,” he agreed. “Lucky we didn’t take any more ammo this time either. That would have looked bad when he checked your bag.”

I laughed. Feeling my mood rise even more. Today was just out lucky day. We ran back to the hideout feeling to invincible to hide anymore. As we ascended the stairs to the hideout I could hear voices drifting down. They were back. I smiled widely. I couldn’t wait to show them what we’d done. As we crawled into the hideout I seen Dad, Oscar and Jamison Looking at our first haul spread out on the floor. They didn’t notice our arrival until I dumped my bag down beside them.

“What’s all this?” Dad asked looking at out haul with confused eyes.

Dimitri and I smirked. “Well...we might have found one of the army’s supply caches...and robbed it.”

His face dropped and Jamison burst into laughter.

“You robbed the army?” he asked and we nodded.

“There’s still more but we couldn’t carry any more,” Dimitri said.

“Or risk going back and getting caught,” I added.

“Bloody hell,” Dad sighed running his hand over his head.

“What did ya get?” Oscar asked coming over like a kid on Christmas morning.

We started emptying our bags. Showing them the food, water, blankets, ammunition and everything else we’d been able to scab. They watched with wonder in their eyes until we pulled out the guns Dimitri had grabbed.

“You stole army grade weapons,” Oscar laughed out loud picking it up to study it.

Dad shot me a look. I wasn’t sure what to make of it. It was full of fear of what could have happened, but there was also a glimmer of pride there. I smiled back at him. He sighed and put his arm around my shoulders pulling me to him and kissing the top of the head. I snuggled into his chest.

“How the hell did you find army supplies?” Jamison questioned and Dimitri glanced at me. “you don't just find things like that.”

Jamison followed his gaze to me and looked at me questioningly.

“Well...,” I rambled. “I met an old friend...he pointed us in the right direction....”

Suddenly Riley’s note in my back pocket felt like it weighed a ton. Dad frowned.

“An old friend?”

“Um...remember when I got stuck in the hospital and I told you about the soldier I got stuck with...yeah we ran into him.”

“A soldier!” dad said frowning at me.

“His fine dad...really good,” I said quickly while they all stared at me. “He told us where to find this stuff and that we really need to lie low for a bit. There really is going to be an invasion this time...,” Quickly I looked for a distraction. “Where’s everyone else?”

Dad frowned. “Who?”

“Matt and his goons.”

He couldn’t hide his smirk. “They quit.”

“What they left?”

He nodded. “Apparently they’ve had enough of us so they dropped their bands and walked off.”

“Good riddance,” Oscar muttered under his breath.

“Get this stuff put away,” Dad said I could tell his mind was elsewhere. He motioned for Jamison and Oscar and together they all walked off somewhere more private.

Relieved to be out of the spotlight I went to work putting our haul away with everything else. Dimitri helped without a word. My mind took flight as I worked. Invasion was bad for us. We were only a small group. Sure the army could defend themselves and their home but we didn’t stand a chance if we were found. Staying inside reduced out chance of being found but also limited us in several ways. We’d have to be extremely careful in the days to come.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~

They preyed on insecurities.

The terrorist was a favorite stereotype used to promote their war. Even for years before hand. It was an easy one to use and scare people with. Especially after the 9/11 attacks, The Bali bombings, The bombings in London and Moscow...the list was endless and it all promoted fear.

Sure you had your true terrorists. The ones out killing and plotting against others. But the government pushed the stereotype so hard until everyone was scared of anything different. Anyone who followed a different religion was instantly labeled a terrorist. When all they really were was a bus driver supporting three small children.

But that’s exactly what they wanted. It was what they needed so no one would question their war. So when there soldiers overseas screwed up and killed innocents, the public turned a blind eye. Half the population didn’t even realize it was happening.

Immigration boomed during this time. Mostly those from war-torn counties. So many people ran from everything they knew, their homes and loved ones to survive. They’d done nothing wrong but want to save their children from a life of death and destruction. A safe life, one that had always been promoted here in America. Could you blame them? But they were often stopped at the border and turned away or locked up like animals for no reason at all. If they did get in, the terrorist label often ruined any chance of a good life for them.

Billy was one of those people. I had meet Billy not long after we’d started this thing. He’d come to us when the army had turned him away. For no reason at all other then what he looked like and the religion he followed. As we laid on the floor around the fire I couldn’t understand it. He was just as American as everyone else I knew. But these were the times.

“Go fish.”

I almost picked up a card. “Hey!”

Dimitri burst into laughter. “Told you.”

“Told him what?” I asked.

“That you’re extremely distractable,” He smirked. “You don’t even remember what game we’re playing.”

“Bite me.”

“Later.”

Billy smirked. “Place your bet Grace.”

I sighed and pushed a small handful of random items into the centre. We were playing a makeshift game of poker with a set of cards we’d found stashed in a set of drawers in the building. Bets were placed with whatever we could find. The bigger the object the more it was worth. If it was edible or a cigarette it was worth a hell of a lot. I had already one a few cigarette’s playing with people. But they were stashed so my dad wouldn’t know I had them. Dimitri found this an endless source of torture and entertainment. Billy called soon after and Dimitri hesitated.

I knew Billy’s name wasn’t actually Billy. But he refused to tell me what it actually was. I assumed Billy was short for something or maybe just a random nickname. He told me I could never comprehend his real name hence why he wouldn’t tell me. I just guessed he was in a league with Dimitri behind my back to annoy me. I let out a long sigh.

“Stop worrying about him. They’ll be back soon,” Billy said as Dimitri folded.

I shrugged. “I don’t know. I don’t like them being out there with these threats going around.”

“They’ll be fine,” Billy reassured. Then raised.

I frowned and glanced down at my cards. Nothing special. Passable maybe. Keeping a straight face I called again. Dimitri watched us go back and forth for some time. I had the feeling Billy was bluffing as much as I was. Eventually my feeling paid off. He folded and the pot was mine.

“What did you have?” he questioned as I took my winnings. I dropped my cards. “Bitch you only had a pair!”

“So, you folded. Your fault.”

He pulled a face at me and started shuffling the cards once more. He was in the middle of handing them out when we heard people coming up the stairs. Worry flowed through me. I was always scared about who was coming up. Especially at night time. It was always a concern of mine that someone would see the flicker of our fire from outside and come up.

Now we also had to worry about Russian soldiers finding their way up here not just our soldiers. I jumped up and walked over, glancing out into the hallway. The first face I seen was a familiar one and I felt a wave of relief wash over me. They were back. I moved out of the way ready to see what they’d brought back only to be ignored. Oscar rushed through first and off to one of the side rooms.

I frowned and looked back out. Someone else rushed past me, then Dad and Jamison followed. I thought I’d get answers from them only to have them walk past me to. I noticed something large in his arms but I couldn’t see what it was for Jamison. I followed them to the room but was quickly pushed out. Slowly I walked back to the boys.

“What’s going on?” Dimitri asked. I shrugged.

“I have no idea.”

I lost interest in playing poker after that. I think I wasn’t the only one. We sat around watching the door they’d disappeared behind with interest. There was definitely something going on. Fifteen minutes later we got an answer. A high pitched scream sounded form the room they disappeared into.

One of terror. We all shot up into sitting positions and stared. Penny crossed the room and into the room in a heartbeat as Oscar stumbled out of it. I watched as all the men who had previously been in the room come out of it with confused and blank expressions. I waited until my father walked towards us before I stood up.

“Dad what’s going on?” I asked. He stared vacantly into the fire. “Dad...dad!”

He looked up his frown laced with confusion. “Grace?”

“What’s going on?”

“Oh...,” he glanced in the direction of the room. “We found a woman, unconscious on the side of the road.”

“Shit,” Dimitri breathed. “She is alright?”

“Don’t know,” he mumbled preoccupied. “Jamison was trying to look at her when she woke up screaming.”

“Grace.”

I turned to see Penny poking her head around the broken door frame. Her face with drawn, I frowned.

“Get some food and bring it in here will you...and only you.”

My frown deepened along with dads. I followed her orders instantly, walking over to grab a tin of fruit that we’d stolen from the army. The food we’d taken had provided a good break from the cold soup we’d been stuck with. The army ate well these days and thanks to Dimitri and I, so did we. I walked over to the room and entered slowly. Penny was sitting beside the bed talking gently to the woman.

I studied her quickly. She had long blond hair that was tangled and messy. Dirt stained her face and the ripped clothes she wore. She looked sick, worse than most. I guess we all looked sick these days but she looked like death. I walked over slowly and handed Penny the can. The woman eyes ran up and down me quickly. She looked scared but she didn’t scream. I took that as a good sign. If I woke in a strange room full of men I’d probably scream to I thought.

“This is Grace,” Penny introduced gently. “Grace, Kayla.”

“Hey,” I said quietly and she looked away.

I sat down my curiosity getting the better of me. I tried not to watch her eat knowing uncomfortable it made me. Occasionally Penny and I would lock eyes and share confused looks. Kayla’s eating provided a good excuse for the silence but even when she finished the silence continued. Eventually I couldn’t take the awkward tensions and tried to break it.

“So where you from?”

She shrugged. “I...I don’t remember.”

I frowned. “What do you remember?”

“Grace,” Penny warned bemused. She knew what I was like.

“Sorry.”

Kayla smiled a little. It was a first for sure. “Where did all those men go?” She asked wearily.

I nodded towards the door. “Out there. I think you scared them more than they scared you.”

She frowned slightly. Penny jumped in. “There all good people,” She defended. “You don’t have to worry about them.”

“It’s just...the soldiers out there....” She trailed off

She didn’t have to go on. We all knew what the soldiers did to lone woman. What they would have done to me given half the chance. I shuddered at the thought. I’d come so close. Penny gave her a sympathetic look.

“You don’t have to worry about that here,” She whispered gently. “They protect us.”

Kayla still looked a little weary. I looked around not sure why I was still here. Obliviously she only felt safe around Penny and me seeing as we were female like her. But I’d only come to bring food. But u didn’t feel like I could leave either. I sat back against the wall. It took Ten long minutes for someone to break the silence.

“So when are you due?”

I choked on the air I was breathing. Someone else had noticed Penny’s pregnancy. I sat up to look at Penny. Her face was hardened in shock and confusion. She stumbled over a few words before glancing at me. I fought to keep the smile off my face.

“I’m sorry...,” Kayla mumbled.

“It’s okay. I already knew.”

“How?” she breathed.

I shrugged. “I noticed things about you and guessed.”

“Who else knows?” she asked.

“I didn’t say anything to anyone,” I promised. “I don’t think anyone else knows.”

We lapsed back into silence. Penny was still in shock. Though she had to realize someone was going to figure it out eventually. She wasn’t going to be able to hide this for nine months. She was already starting to show. It wouldn’t be long before everyone figured it out. I looked up as there was a small knock at the door. Jamison’s need to help outweighed everything else it seemed. He was waiting in the doorway with a soft smile. Penny glanced at him but her mind was elsewhere.

“What do you want?” I asked with a smirk.

He smiled at me. “Seeing if there’s anything I can do to help.”

“Can’t help yourself can you,” I smirked as he walked over slowly. I glanced at Kayla out of the corner of me eye.

“No. I can’t,” He admitted with a grin. Stopping a few feet away from the bed. He spoke softly to Kayla. “My name is Jamison, I’m to going to hurt you. I want to help.”

“His a doctor,” I added for his benefit. It helped she settled a little.

Jamison took a step closer and started with his usual questions and prodding. Kayla still looked a little uncomfortable but she let him to it. With a few glances at me and Penny. Maybe she felt safer around him because we were here. I stood up and sat on the end of the bed. I had been thinking of heading out and giving them privacy but now it seemed she wanted us to stay. As I sat I felt something shift uncomfortably in my pocket.

It took a moment to realize I was still carrying the piece of paper Riley had given me a few days ago. I hadn’t found a chance to look at it. But now in the privacy of the room where the attention was not on me I pulled it from my pocket and sat it beside me. Out of everyone sights. Slowly I unfolded it. Small scribbled handwriting covered the centre of the paper. I had to study it to read it.

It feels stupid writing to someone I may never see again but I’m doing it. Maybe it’s because I’m bored and hiding or maybe because you’re the only decent human being I’ve met since this whole thing started. But maybe with the way we seem to run into each other maybe I will be able to give you this someday.

Honestly I’m not even sure what to write but...I can’t stop thinking about you. And I really don’t mean that in a stalker kinda way. It’s just good to have an intelligent conversation with someone who knows what they’re talking about. The only intelligent conversation here is the content of beer and even that’s questionable.


I snorted a laugh.

Those few days we spent in the hospital were honestly the only decent ones I’ve had in a long time. I think it was the combination of you and not being called runt and bullied. Your one of the few people I can say who hasn’t revolved their existence around making me feel like shit. Is that stalkerish? Sorry if it is lol.

No. It’s isn’t it thought. Because I thought of them to.

There a few things I want to share with you. One of the main reasons I started writing this. I want to help you and your friends. In any way I can.

Russia are invading on the 24th of this month. A few weeks from now. Later than we expected but they are coming. So the rumors go and these are from reliable sources. They’re coming from the south of the city and pushing their way through. Most likely to the base here. The army will have forces out to stop them for some time.

Meaning you may want to lay low for a while. Just because there hunting Russians doesn’t mean they won’t kill you guys to. You shouldn’t have anything to fear from the Russians though. From what we’ve gathered in other raids they have no grievances with groups like yours. Unless provoked. They should leave you guys alone unless given a good reason not to. There here for us. Not you.

If I get caught telling you any of this I’m going to be in deep. So this is between me, you and whoever you can tell who’ll keep it to themselves. There are three supply caches around the city. All belonging to the army and secret. But they have a good amount of supplies inside. The directions for all three are listed on the back.

The first isn’t really ever guarded at all. They don’t have the men to man it and because of the fighting that occurs in that area they prefer not to. It’s about to be emptied and closed down so that’s your best bet. The other two are a bit better guarded but not always by man. There is a patrol moving between both throughout the day and during the night there are camera’s and alarms inside. The codes 856194 for the 2nd and 296387 for the 3rd. Let’s not go into how I got them but it wasn’t easy.


I laughed to myself. What a sneaky bastard.

Lastly, since I’m running out of time. I want to leave you with some way to reply. If I ever get this to you and if you even want to. Maybe it’s just wishful thinking but I’m hoping that you might want someone to talk to as well. I don’t know maybe you get some decent conversation in your group?

There’s a small newsagent (directions on back) in the back corner there’s a desk. In the third drawer down hidden amongst the rubbish there’s a small silver money box. Leave your reply in there and I’ll keep an eye out for it since I have nothing else to do while patrolling this hellhole.

Riley.


With a small grin I folded up the paper and slipped it into my pocket. I was going to find paper and leave him his reply. A war time pen pal I thought and chuckled to myself.

“Out now.”

I glanced up at Jamison surprised. I wasn’t the only one. He wasn’t looking at us but at Kayla. When we didn’t move he turned and glanced at us. And in a tone very unlike him he spoke again.

“Get out now.”