Sequel: Bullet and a Target

Code of Honor

Chapter 36

He tried to walk me out at first. But it soon became apparent that I couldn’t. He lifted me up into his arms as if I weighed nothing. Careful of my leg he carried me out of the dark cell and into the deserted hallway. I tried hard to fight the haze in my head. Something serious was going on. I lifted my head and looked up at Riley. He was looking straight ahead with a determined look in his eyes.

“What…Where are we….”

“It’s okay,” He whispered. Glancing down at me. “I’ll keep you safe.”

“Soldiers….”

I knew they had to be around somewhere and if they caught him with me, he’d be dead alongside me. I didn’t want that.

“Distracted,” He whispered.

He carried me up the stairs carefully checking the corners as he did so. He turned around so he could use his back to push the door to the outside open. He hesitated a moment before stepping out into the night air. Again I tried to lift my head up and find whatever danger was lurking. Surprisingly the place was dead quiet. I had been expecting it to be crawling with soldiers.

I lolled my head in the other direction. I could see the lights of the main area of the base in the distance, there I could see them walking. They all seemed to be walking in the same direction, distracted. Quickly before anyone could spot us in the open Riley stepped around the corner of the building, out of their line of sight.

“I’m going to have to put you down for a moment,” He whispered close to my ear. “Just stay down and stay quiet. I’ll be back in three seconds.”I gripped his shirt. “I’ll come back, I promise.”

Gently he set me down and pried my hand from his shirt. He went to move away but hesitated for a slight second. Just staring at me. before I had time to comprehend what he was doing he was gone again. I watched him go tempted to call him back to me. But I couldn’t find my voice again. I didn’t want to be out here alone, I didn’t want to be alone period. For all I knew there was soldiers, torturers, around the corner. I tried me make myself as small as possible and hide in the dead grass. Riley promised he’d come back for me, he wouldn’t let them hurt me again. I tried to believe him.

As promised he was back in seconds. Wrapping his arms around me and hauling me to my feet. He studied my weak leg for a moment before lifting me back up into his arms, frowning. He carried me through the gate and past the first fence without any issues. He picked up his pace as we headed for the next fence. The pit of my stomach felt like it weighed a tonne. I was expecting search lights to blind us at any moment now. I was surprised that no one was shooting at us. How he had managed this was beyond me, but I was thankful all the same. He’d just saved my life.

Finally he came a stop, on the darkest length of the fence line. He set me down gently in the dirt and dropped to his knees beside me. Without hesitation he pulled a pair of cutters from his back pocket and started hacking at the bottom of the fence. I watched through blurry eyes until a small section curled up, leaving space for us to crawl underneath. He glanced up at me, his green eyes wild.

“Do you need me to help you under?”

I wasn’t sure. I didn’t think I had the strength to make it to the other side. Even with his help. But I had to try. It wasn’t just my life on the line here. His was too and I wouldn’t be responsible for anyone hurting him. With the last of the strength I possessed I crawled over to him and laid down.

I reached down and under the fence, using my arms and my one good leg to push myself through the small gap. It hurt, a lot. But I refused to show it. I felt Riley’s hands on my back. Trying his best to help me without hurting me any further. Once I made it to the other side, I just collapsed into the dirt and stayed there. Not sure how much further I could go on my own. I could feel the pain starting to settle in now the rush of Riley’s rescue was starting to wear off. For the countless time his arms wrapped around my middle and hauled me up, into his arms.

“It’s okay Grace,” He whispered. Breaking into an awkward run. Heading straight for the cover of the city looming on the horizon. “I’ve got you.”

He tightened his hold around me, pulling me tight into his chest as he ran. Putting as much distance between us and the base as he possibly could. We had no idea how long we had until my captors found out I was missing. There was no telling what they’d do if they found us. But with Riley’s arms around me and the base disappearing off into the distance, I started to feel safe again. I watched it vanish into the night, and behind the buildings of the city.

“Grace wake up, Grace.”

I lolled my head into his chest and forced my eyes open again. Looking straight up into his wild green eyes. Brightened by the dim moonlight. He looked scared but he never faltered in his steps.

“Where are your group hiding Grace?” He asked quickly but clearly.

“I don’t…I don’t know.”

My mind was so muddled, and lost, I couldn’t tell him if I could remember. Somewhere in the depths of my mind it was there. But the lack of food, water and the continuous beatings had trapped it behind a door. One I couldn’t reach, not in my current state.

“Grace please,” He begged desperately. “Try for me.”

I tried. I really did. But all I wanted to do was sleep. My head was aching and thinking seemed like a painful idea.

“I can’t…,” I mumbled. I didn’t like letting him down. “I don’t know.”

There was a flash of light behind us.

Riley swore under his breath and ducked into the next alleyway. Pressing his back against the dirty wall. He mumbled frustrated words under his breath for a moment, mostly something about more time, before he turned and took the next exit. Stepping into the next dark street and running for more cover. The lights seemed to follow us into the next street along with the sounds of a car engine.

I stiffened in Riley’s hold, gripping onto the front of his shirt for dear life. I didn’t want to get caught again. His arms tightened around me for a fleeting second before ducking into another street. If carrying me around like this bothered him he didn’t show it. He continued to hide and run with me without complaint. Everywhere we went the sounds of our predators followed without fail. They must have caught on to my escape, they were combing the city for us and we could only run for so long.

Quickly running out of options Riley stepped out of the city and made a detour for the residential areas surrounding the city’s outskirts. The enemy’s presence was significantly less out here. It was much easier to avoid them. Still Riley scoped out a house, indistinguishable from those around it, and carried me inside carefully. By the time we had made it to this point, I was almost dead to the world. It had been another long day without food and sleep and I was about ready to give in. Noticing my weakness Riley carried me through the house and into one of the dark back rooms.

Carefully he sat me down on the carpeted floor. Gently brushing my hair down as he did so. His eyes scanned over me quickly a few times before he left my side. Too scared to let my eyes close just yet. I watched him gather everything he could find and make up a bed in the corner of the room. He collected me and carried me across the room and placed me down in the bed. Pulling the blanket over me and lying down beside me.

“We’ll be safe here,” he whispered nuzzling his face into my neck. “Just rest.”

I still couldn’t shake my fear. Even with all the distance between me and the cell I’d been subjected to. Just knowing they were out there looking for me. Intent on putting me back there sent shudders across my skin.

“But….”

“It’s okay,” He crooned. “I’ll keep you safe, I promise. I won’t let them take you again. I’ll stay up all night if I have to.”

*

True to his word, Riley stayed up all night while I slept. Keeping watch over me and guarding our safe house with the small pistol he had stolen. It helped me sleep a little better knowing he was there. But it didn’t stop the nightmares. They returned with full force, waking me several times during the night. Riley was always there to comfort me when I woke. Helping me remember and believe what had happened, that I was out of the cell. Away from the torture.

And the one time he wasn’t there, I almost fell into a deep pit of panic. The room was dark, I was alone and cold. I almost believed I was back in the small three foot cell until my eyes adjusted. I sat up, drenched in cold sweat, and looked around frantically. I was in a room, a bedroom. Most the furniture was gone, only leaving its shadow on the carpet. Posters lined the walls at random intervals. Games, barely clad girls and metal bands. Typical boy’s room. I sat up carefully, trying not to aggravate the hurt I was already feeling.

Riley was nowhere in sight, I was most definitely alone. I didn’t like it one bit. I wanted him back here to protect me. Scared, I pulled the blanket up into my chest and around my chin. I doubted he’d gone far the blanket still smelled like him. It was comforting in its own little way.

Sleep had done something for me. I was feeling slightly more like myself. Still out of it, still hurting and hungry but the headache had faded a little. I didn’t feel like dying anymore. I guess the lack of beatings helped. The bruises, covering nearly every inch of my body, were finally able to start healing. My leg was still the worst by far, it hurt a lot. Groggily I pulled the blanket off my leg and pulled the leg of my jeans up. It made it hurt more but I suffered through it to ease my curiosity. It was bruised around my knee and ankle and I wasn’t sure exactly what that meant. Jamison’s lessons had not made it that far.

“It might be broken.”

I jumped out of skin, causing myself more pain, and looked up. Riley was in the doorway. A small backpack slung over his shoulder. There was no smile on his face this time. He walked over and dropped to his knees beside me. Gently placing his cold hands on my bruised leg.

“I got some stuff to splint it just in case,” He said. Carefully straightening out my leg.

“Where’d you go?” I asked groggily.

He glanced at me. “I thought I’d go grab some stuff while it was dark and you were sleeping?”

I was confused for a moment. “Dark?”

He nodded. “You slept all day and night.”

“Oh.”

“You needed it Gracie, you still don’t look so good.”

I sighed and laid back. Staring at the dirty roof. I felt much safer with Riley back beside me. There was no doubt he would protect me. I listened to him un-zip his bag and start pulling things out of it. Intrigued even through the haze I sat up to watch. The first thing he pulled out was a long stick. Smoothed down and straight, he lined it up against my leg. Then he proceeded to pull bandages and a very thin lengths of rope and cloth. I frowned at him.

“Do you know…what you’re doing?”

He cracked a grin. “I have a fair idea. Help me here, hold the stick.”

I leant down to try and grab it but bending caused pain through my chest. A lot of pain. I fell back, onto my back, and let out a hurt breath. Riley was over me in an instant.

“Are you okay?” He asked frantically.

“I don’t….” It was a struggle to breathe let alone talk. “It hurts.”

“It’s okay,” He whispered running his hand down my face. “I’ll get you help soon, I promise.”

I don’t know why I believed him, but I did. He worked on putting the splint together on his own while I laid back and bit my tongue. It was aching and his poking and prodding wasn’t helping. I didn’t want to make this any harder than it already was so I kept my mouth shut. It took him a while but eventually he sat back to admire his work. I lifted my head to see. My leg was tightly splinted from top to bottom. Made entirely from the scraps he found lying around. I had to give him some credit. He’d done alright. He turned to face me.

As he turned a small amount of light from the window lit up his face. Until this point I had seen him, without really seeing him. I had been distracted with my own fear and pain, it had also been dark. Now with the light directly on his face I could finally make out the bruises coloring the side of his face and a cut adorning the space above his eye.

“Are you hungry?”

Was I ever. For the moment I thoughts were taken away from his bruises. My stomach grumbled at the thought of food. So loudly I think he heard it. He grinned but didn’t say a word. He reached down into his bag and pulled out a tin. Its label was peeling off and faded but I could make out it was a fruit mix. Anything sounded good to me at this point. Hell, I would have eaten cat food. He broke out his pocket knife and started hacking around the edges trying to break it open. When it finally cracked he used his knife to leverage it open and passed it straight to me.

Greedily I took it and brought it straight to my lips. It was my first meal in nearly a week. I felt the sweet sticky juice slid down my chin but didn’t care in the slightest. I was so hungry. The food seemed to settle uncomfortably in my stomach but I kept eating. The hunger, that I’d been able to suppress or adjust to, was coming back with full force now that I was eating again. But it didn’t last long. I ate the entire can before I started to feel even remotely full. I put the empty can down beside me and laid back down.

I had thought food would made me feel better but I was wrong. The pains in my stomach had faded but I still felt sick and tired. I wanted nothing more than to go back to sleep. But Riley’s soft presence lying beside me kept me awake. I had not spoken to him since his daring rescue.

“Are we safe here?” I asked, my voice was still weak. The fear of being found again was still in the forefront of my mind.

“We’re safe,” He whispered putting his arm around me. Allowing me to use it as a pillow and use his body for warmth. “We’re out of the city and they can’t check every house out here.”

“Where are we?” I asked glancing around the room again. I still didn’t feel safe here.

“My room.”

I frowned. “Your room?”

He nodded and glanced around. “This was my home before the war.”

I looked around taking in every little object and poster with new eyes. This was another whole side to Riley I had never seen before. It also explained why we had never met before. My home was on the other side of the area, a fair way from his. We would have gone to different schools and hangouts. We had entirely different worlds until they were destroyed.

“Don’t worry. There’s a cut out in the cupboard we can hide in if someone comes looking,” he said with a grin.

“A cut out?” I questioned.

“Where I used to hide my comics.”

"Comics?”

He got back on his feet and crossed the room to the small cupboard on the other side. He pulled the door open and disappeared inside for a moment. I lifted my head to see. His booted feet were sticking out of the wall almost comically. When he came back he had a small pile of new and old comics in his hand.

He laid beside me again tucking me under his shoulder and flicking through the pile. Riley, the comic book guy, I would have never of guessed. Some part of me had expected Batman and X-men comics instead they were ones I’d never heard of or names that sounded familiar but I had never really seen before. He pulled one out from the middle, titled Mass Effect.

“This was one of my favorite games,” He told me, opening it to the first page. Colorful aliens stood out.

I had bare minimum knowledge on video games. Oliver used to play the occasionally with his friends. The usual shoot ‘em up games he could argue with his friends over. They were all straight over my head. Riley pulled me closer, pulling me from my thoughts. He leant down to kiss my forehead.

“Go to sleep,” He whispered. “I can see you want to. You’re not well.”

“I don’t know if I can,” I mumbled.

It wasn’t just the fear of being caught and the nightmares keeping me awake. It was the hurt and grumbling in my stomach. I felt like I was going to throw up, I felt like sitting up not lying down. But in Riley’s warm shoulder I started to find sleep. And with his soft gentle voice reading his comic books to me, I fell.

*

Every night, under the cover of darkness, Riley continued to walk into the city and find us a supply of food and water for the next day. Looking for any signs of my group. He wasn’t having any luck. They went into hiding at night and I could not remember for the life of me where they were. I was still very unwell. A steady supply of food, water, sleep and comic books were not doing anything for me. I was still constantly tired and throwing up everything I did manage to eat. This sent Riley into a panic, making him fight harder to find my group and get me to safety.

The bruises and cuts were no longer hurting, they were finally able to heal without further aggravation. Some cuts were infected, especially a nasty one across the side of my head, and Riley was doing everything he could to look after me. But between us we had very little in the way of knowledge on how to deal with these types of things. I knew we had to disinfect it and keep it clean but with what I had no idea. Jamison always seemed to know. So instead Riley was using some of our precious water supply to clean the wound daily. Even though I told him not to. It would heal on its own eventually, we didn’t need to waste what little water we had on me. He refused to listen.

I spent most my days asleep, with Riley providing warmth beside me. And during the night while he was gone, I slept again this time with nothing more than a pile of tattered blankets he’d rummaged up from surrounding houses. No matter how much sleep I got over the days, I never seemed to feel any better. Riley was always voicing his, and my, concerns.

“You’re not getting any better,” He whispered. Concern and pain lacing his voice.

“I’m okay,” I lied for the thousandth time.

It wasn’t a complete lie. I still felt sick and run down constantly, but I didn’t feel like dying anymore. Not since the beatings and the torture had stopped. My body was healing on the outside, even if the inside was getting worse. He sighed, knowing better than to argue with me, and leant down to kiss me goodbye like he always did. A small part of me always feared it would be our last. He pulled back.

“Are you sure you can’t remember anything, at least point me in the right direction?”

I frowned, struggling to remember anything. My mind was still hazed. I wasn’t sure what was doing it. Maybe the continuous blows to the head had damaged my memory.

“A white bar,” I muttered unsure. Trying hard to picture the place in my mind. “That’s all I can see, To the East maybe....or the North. North East....”

“I’ll try, It’s the best we’ve got.”

Armed with my new information Riley got to his feet and left me for the night. I still didn’t like being left alone but also knew it was necessary. Riley was keeping us alive with his nightly runs for food and water. Putting himself in danger to keep me safe. Not that I could have helped even if I wanted to. My leg had not stopped aching and throbbing. I’d been ignoring for Riley’s sake. He didn’t need to stress over me more than he already had. But now that he was gone I let a few tears of frustration and pain slip through. I’d never had a high tolerance for pain and sometimes just having a sook made me feel better.

I continued to drift in and out of a restless sleep for the rest of the night. Always waking to see if Riley had come back and to drink. I’d been extremely thirsty lately and I was having a hard time trying to not to drink every little bit of water we had. Thirst was outweighing rationality and in an attempt to fend it off I tried to distract myself.

Picking up one of Riley’s discarded comic books and flipping through it absentmindedly. Nothing really attracted my attention but I’d had nothing to read in a very long time and it helped to settle my overactive, fearful mind. The Walking Dead may not have entirely settled my mind, but zombies were a fear I could simply fob off. It helped me drift back into a restless sleep.