Status: Hiatus! But comment anyway (:

Postcards from Seoul

The Seventh Postcard

So it turns out Alexander has his own car, and according to himself that is quite the achievement in itself. He paid for it himself and it’s not rented from the company. He drove me to the tailor who promised they’d send my uniform off to the dry-cleaners (and the school would be paying for it, of course) and then I got handed a set of new clothes, also covered by the school. Alexander offered to pay for it but I managed to squeak out a “No” – I hadn’t talked much after the incident, only cried.

It was strange how Alexander always seemed to appear whenever I needed someone to lean on. He usually blamed it on someone else but somehow it felt like he knew I needed him- or anyone for that matter. He never asked for anything in return, and by now I must have saved up a lifetime of favours owned.

“Was this the first time?” he asked when we were back in his car, on our way to find some-place to eat. I weighed the options in my head; If I told him would he pity me then? But then again, if I didn’t tell him would he hate me? I’d rather be pitied than hated, so I shook my head - no.
“This is entirely our fault, every one of us” he sighed “but then again, one should think that at such a prestigious school people would behave” he made a face “at least they haven’t physically hurt you right?”

I swallowed

“...Right?” he sighed and pulled over – when the car stopped he turned towards me and grabbed my wrists, pulling up the sleeves of my new jersey, he uncovered the purple and yellow bruises all over my arms. The look in his eyes when he saw it was impossible to read, but it made me feel uneasy and once again I felt hot tears running down my cheeks. Noticing me crying, Alexander softly brushed away the tears with one hand, almost like a caress. The sudden emotion of it all makes my cheek flush a bright red and he cracks a crooked smile.

“I’m coming with you tomorrow to talk with your teacher; and if this happens again we’re going to ask our manager if he can help us arrange home schooling for you” it was as if sending me home to America was out of the question, and honestly, right now, I wasn’t even sure if I wanted to leave this car.

“Thank you,” I managed to croak out, my voice still rough from crying just seconds earlier “Alexander, for everything” he squeezes my hand, and holds it, as he pulls back onto the busy highway.

I find myself staring at our hands linked together the whole way back to our dorm.

**
“Where have you been?” Kevin attacks me as soon as I walk in the door, Alexander right behind. The rest of the way home we didn’t say much, but he held my hand all the way to the door. I can feel his eyes lingering on me as I hug Kevin back, pulling away maybe a bit faster than what I would have normally done. I glance sideways at Alexander who answers Kevin for me – I’m glad he does because honestly I don’t know how much longer I can bare standing up. My head is spinning and everything hurts, and for the first time today I let it hurt. I hug Kevin one more time before I escape to the safety that is my bedroom. I was so relieved when I found it empty. I crawled up in bed, I fell asleep shortly after.
♠ ♠ ♠
Someone is falling~