‹ Prequel: Careless
Status: Starting

Our Goodbyes

You've been here all along

Wanting to spend as much time as she could with Wyatt, Ella opted to stay in the foster home with him while Taylor went to the game by herself. Taylor was going to leave the next day, because she had rehearsals, while Ella was going to stay in New York for two more days with Sidney.

She cradled the little baby as she watched the game on the living room TV with the rest of the little children. She would cheer silently whenever one of the Penguins would score and groan whenever something would happen to Sidney.

Ella would quietly point out Sidney to Wyatt whenever he would appear on the screen and Wyatt would just squeal or giggle.

"You must be so excited to meet him. Oh Wy, when you come home with me, he's going to teach you hockey before walking," she said in a baby voice. "He should be here soon," she said to herself and looked at the clock.

"Ella," one of the nurses, who knew Ella by now, called for her, catching her attention. "Someone's here looking for you."

Ella nodded in excitement. She walked back into the nursery and placed Wyatt back into his crib before heading to the front of the house.

Sidney looked around the house nervously. Children were running around and surprisingly, he could hear the TV from all the noise. It was highlights of the game that happened more than an hour ago. He smiled knowing that Ella was watching the game with Wyatt.

To say he was nervous to meet the little baby was an understatement.

As ridiculous as it sounded, Sidney was scared of making the wrong impression on Wyatt. He was the most important person to Ella and it meant a lot if Wyatt liked Sidney. But at the same time, he was excited to meet the little baby. The way Ella would talk about him and the stories she told him, he felt like he already knew him.

"Sid!" he heard Ella's energetic voice and before he knew it, he felt thin arms around him.

God, he missed her touch and smell.

"Ella, hey, how are you?" he asked and returned her hug eagerly.

"I'm good. Come on, I want you to meet him," she said happily and excitedly, as if everything that had happed no more than forty-eight hours ago never happened. Like they never had an argument or a fight.

She grabbed onto his arm and started to drag him to the nursery. Ella talked about how excited and happy she was that he was here. She even went on to say that Wyatt's been jittery all day because he was also excited to meet him.

The way she was, Sidney had never seen a much happier Ella. Her face held pure happiness and contentment. In a way he envied Wyatt for being able to do that to Ella. He wanted to be able to make her purely happy.

Ella slowly opened the door to the nursery, Sidney patiently following behind her. She never once let go of his hand, instead nervously held onto it tighter.

Sidney's eyes instantly went searching for the baby that looked like Ella. It was fairly quiet in the nursery. There were some babies that were squealing and laughing, but most of them were sleeping.

He let Ella drag him to the blue crib closest to the window at the end of the room where a beautiful baby boy played quietly with his toy. Sidney's heart stopped and his breath hitched when he saw the baby. Wyatt looked exactly like his mother.

They had the same eyes both in color and in shape, the same thin and slender nose, same thin lips, and the same dirty blonde hair from what he could see with the patch of blonde in his head. His heart melted when Wyatt gave him a toothless grin and lifted his toy.

"Ella's beautiful," he said in amazement.

Ella smiled proudly at her baby boy, and looked at Sid only to notice that he was holding a stuffed animal. "Sid, what's that?" she asked and pointed to the medium sized stuffed animal.

"Oh yeah, I almost forgot. I got it for Wyatt," he said and showed Ella the black and white penguin that donned a Crosby jersey. "I figured he should get started in supporting his home team," he explained sheepishly.

Her smile turned into a grin as she jumped and hugged him. "Sid, it's adorable. Wyatt's going to love it for sure," Ella gushed.

"Here," he said handing it to her with a smile.

Ella looked from her baby to Sidney. "Why don't you introduce yourself and give it to him," she suggested. Ella helped Wyatt up so what he was sitting and chewing on his rubber toy as he groaned. "Hey Wy, Mommy wants you to met a very special person." Ella stepped aside and encouraged Sidney by giving him a gental push closer to the crib.

"Hey Wyatt, I'm Sidney. It's nice to finally meet you. Your Mommy has been telling me lots and lots of stories about you," he said to Wyatt in a slight baby voice, he got a happy groan from Wyatt as he shoved the rubber toy in Sid's face. "That's a nice toy you got there, it kind looks like a hockey puck. I'm going to teach you hockey."

Laughing, Ella put a hand on his shoulder. "Show him the penguin."

Sidney nodded and showed the stuffed penguin. "Look what I got you! This is the team you're going to be playing on one day," he cooed at Wyatt.

Once Wyatt saw the toy, he squealed in happiness and dropped the rubber toy. He started to groan and his hands started to open and close as he tried to reach for the toy.

"Looks like he really likes it," Sidney commented and carefully handed the penguin to Wyatt, who instantly put his mouth on the clothed shoulder of the penguin.

Ella laughed loudly and held on to Sid's hand. She watched as Wyatt happily chewed the toy; it couldn't have been a more perfect scene. Sid beside her and Wyatt in front of them. They looked like a family.

"The toy isn't all he likes. Why don't you hold him?"

"Are you sure? What if I drop him?" he asked her worriedly. He's held tons of babies before, cousins and friend's children, but holding Wyatt was more nerve wracking.

Nodding, Ella separated Wyatt and the toy, earning her a whimper from Wyatt, and carefully handed him to Sidney. She watched in happiness as Sidney looked at Wyatt intently and started to coo at him.

To her, it seemed like Wyatt and Sidney just fit together perfectly. Like Sidney was destined to have Wyatt in his arms. Wyatt seemed to have taken a quick liking to Sidney, which was a relief to both Sidney and Ella.

Wyatt giggled as Sidney started to make weird noises and faces to amuse him. Sidney lifted Wyatt into the air and pretended to be an airplane as he walked around the nursery.

Sidney could tell why everyone who had met Wyatt had instantly fallen in love with him. He was in love with the baby. Wyatt was the perfect little baby boy that you would be proud to be the father of. He wanted to be Wyatt's father.

He hoped that Ella would see it one day. That he was going to stick by her through thick and thin, that he was going to support her no matter what, and that he loved her and Wyatt more than anyone.
♠ ♠ ♠
What did you think?
Can you just imagine Sid actually being like that with a baby. So cute.
Thank you to everyone that commented. You guys are amazing.
I really hate doing this, but I'm not updating the next chapter until I get 6 new comments.
It would really be nice to hear from you guys.
Thanks.