Sequel: Aliens and Vampires
Status: comments help me write faster

Cats and Dogs

The Hunt

I’m a rare breed, the only one of my kind that’s still walking upright, and that’s a huge load to carry at any age, 10… 20… 117. The worst part is waking up in the morning and still expecting to hear your father and nine brothers running around like wild animals, and finding nothing but an empty house.

I didn’t have time to think about that as I raced through the trees, a pack of wolves chasing me for reasons I didn’t understand. A single wolf I could handle, maybe even two or three, but an entire pack was deadly. So instead of being an idiot and fighting, I found myself running for my life.

They were close, so close in fact that I could smell them, and they weren’t wolves, not really at least. The animals chasing after me were shape shifters, humans that hid behind the form of an animal; it would have disgusted me if I wasn’t doing the same thing.

I knew that if I could just get far enough away in order to change without them seeing me; that I would fine. They would see me as a human and hopefully leave me alone; that was the only option that seemed fool proof to me so I ran faster than I ever had before. It was no use, they caught up to me easily and I could hear them starting to spread out, preparing to circle me. I only had one option left, even if it was risky.

My hind leg muscles tightened before I launched myself onto a low hanging branch of a large pine tree. Quickly I scrambled up onto a higher branch, and then a higher one, until I was a good fifteen feet off the ground and looking down at the pack of canines that had completely human minds. That just made them more dangerous in my opinion; an animal goes by instinct, a human by its brain.

I hissed at a large black wolf that stepped forward and reached up on its back legs in order to get a better view of me. I could have sworn I saw it smirk before howling, the other wolves did the same and I had the strange feeling that my night was about to get very bad.

Those idiot animals continued to howl and bark for an hour, I hissed and growled at them, hoping they’d be afraid of me, that didn’t work. Finally they ceased their annoying vocalizations but I only got the chance to relax for a moment before a pick-up truck drove right up to my tree and a large Native American man stepped out.

Once they saw the man, the wolves changed in their human forms, I averted my eyes since they were all naked. Thankfully the men quickly pulled on pants, and the small female did the same with a large shirt dress.

“How do you think it got here?” asked the man that had been the large black wolf a few seconds ago. “It’s been years since there’s been one on the reservation.” I hissed and everyone looked up at me but didn’t voice their concerns on whether or not I could understand them. This hadn't been my first encounter with humans in this form and it wasn't difficult to imagine what they were thinking.

“Well, there’s prey, fresh water, plenty of land” said the man that had exited the pick up truck. “I’m surprised there hasn’t been one here before now.” I growled but they didn’t acknowledge me.

“What are you going to do with it?” asked a young boy that I found strange to look at. He couldn’t have been more than thirteen but yet he had the body of a full grown man.

“Just going to relocate her out of town, we have people to think about and can’t put them in danger.” The man said, but my eyes stayed focused on a man to my left, he looked just like the others, yet so different at the same time and I was immediately fascinated with him.

I would have been content to stare at the man for hours, even days, but the click of the safety on a shot gun immediately brought my gaze back to the man that had just driven up.

He was looking down the barrel of a gun that was pointed right at me; my human side told me he wasn’t going to hurt me since he was talking about just relocating me to another area, while my animal side started freaking out. I hissed, growled, snarled, basically did anything to show them that this really wasn’t a good idea. But did it help? No.

The gun went off with off with a boom and a sharp pain in my side told me I had been hit. Yes, it hurt but I knew it wasn’t a bullet under my flesh but a dart and as if to prove my point the effects quickly started to make themselves noticed. My body started going numb and while I was still conscious I felt myself fall out of the tree and hit the ground.

The wolves immediately ran to me and removed the dart in order to cut off the supply of the drug to my system. Something I was thankful for since too much of it could kill me.

“Where do you want it?” asked the boy that I had been intrigued with. He easily picked me up and held me as if I were a ragdoll.

“There’s a cage in the back,” said the man with the gun and my chuffer nodded before carrying me over to the bed of the truck and locking me in a small metal cage that made me want to kill something, and if I wasn’t so out of it, I would have made my feelings clear.

As it was, I was currently having trouble keeping my eyes open and within seconds of entering the small confined place, I found myself slipping into unconsciousness, but strangely, I couldn’t find the will to care.