Sequel: Aliens and Vampires
Status: comments help me write faster

Cats and Dogs

The Mouse

[Jacob]

"Get out of the water!" yelled Sam as he and the other pack members walked out of the cave to find Jacob bobbing in the ocean a few yards off shore.

"Make me!" Jacob answered but started to swim back toward the beach, telling himself that the salt water was starting to mess up his hair and that was why he was getting out. Though he knew very well that it wasn't the case.

"What in the world were you thinking?" asked Embry as Jake started to squeeze the water out of his t-shirt. "That's your imprint, you're supposed to be at least in there when we start interrogating her." A shiver went down Jacob's spine when he heard the word imprint and sadly, everyone noticed.

"She's right about the fact you can't fight it," said Paul. "Like it or not, you're going to have to spend time with her." The wet teenager wanted to scream and pull his hair out in frustration when he realized his friend was right.

"I don't like her," he hissed and the scratchy feeling in his throat caused by the salt water made it sound even more threatening.

"And why not?" asked Jared. "Just because she's not Bella doesn't mean you'll love her any less. Plus she already knows about us, you won't have to worry about her running away screaming when you suddenly shift and run off into the woods; but you'd have to at least give her chance no matter what, she's like your soul mate." Jacob groaned at the fact his pack didn't feel the way he did and flopped down onto the sand before covering his eyes with his arm.

"It's not because she's not Bella, it's because there's something strange about her." His friends, knowing Jacob wasn't anywhere near finished with his belly aching sat down around him and waited for their friend to continue.

"She smells weird," he said simply and when no one immediately agreed with him and just stared at him like he was crazy, Jake was forced to continue. "Don't tell me you haven't noticed the fact that she doesn't smell completely human."

"Sure, she may hang out with one too many cats but I don't see why that would get you so worked up." said Sam, "the odor's faint and barely there at all. So she's a cat person, is that so bad?" For the normal person it wouldn't have been but Jacob hated cats, there was just something about them, like they knew more than any creature should, that just freaked him out.

"I guess not," he admitted, "but it's not just that. Who in their right mind isn't afraid of vampires?" he asked, remembering the conversation he had overheard earlier. "Hell, I kill the sons of bitches but if I see one in the woods while I'm alone there's a very real possibility that I'm going to scream like a girl and run away."

"Well, Alai said that she's met a lot of werewolves, maybe she's come across a few vampire covens as well." Suggested Seth and everyone turned to him with questioning expressions.

"Since when have you called the psycho 'Alai'?" Asked Jake, if anyone had said so he would have denied it, but he felt slightly jealous of the apparent relationship Seth and his imprint had. He wasn't stupid enough to think that it was anything more than friendship but that was more than he had and it didn't sit well with the shape shifter.

"Um... since I picked her up at her house," said Seth and flinched away from the death glare Jacob was sending his way. "There's something about her whenever you talk to her alone, she's actually really likable and only turns into a bitch when she's out numbered." Everyone in the pack was without a doubt thinking the same thing.

That was more than just strange behavior, very animalistic behavior.

"See?!" yelled Jacob in triumph. "She's weird, strange, and incredibly freaky." No one had the heart to tell him that he was acting the same way but they definitely filed away the memory in order to use as possible black mail at a later time.

"Jake, it doesn't matter what she is," said Quil when he spoke up for the first time. "She's your imprint and you have to be something, whether that be friends, lovers, even enemies, the last thing you can do is ignore her." The way he said that was almost as if he was pleading for his friend to understand what he was talking about and to actually take his advice.

"I don't feel comfortable when she's around." Jake said honestly. For the first time letting his real feelings on the subject come out. "Whenever she's near me, I have the overwhelming feeling that something is waiting in the bushes about to attack me. It's like how I imagine a mouse feels right before it becomes a cat's dinner. I don't like that feeling." Jake knew by the looks on his pack's faces that they didn't feel the same way, that they didn't understand the need he had to run away from Alaivera and that hurt more than anything he could ever imagine.

It was like he was truly alone for the first time in his life.

"We don't feel it," said Sam, confirming what he already knew. "But let's just use the rest of summer vacation to see if that feeling changes. Maybe you're mistaking it for guilt, maybe you feel like you're cheating on Bella by being around your imprint. Just spend some time with her, maybe you'll feel differently." Jacob nodded silently but already knew this was going to end very badly.