Street Child

chapter three

The sun had gone down long ago and Melody knew it was time to leave. This was always the hardest part, saying goodbye. Maybe it wouldn’t be so hard if she knew she could come back next week or even next month. But she didn’t know when she would come back. It could be the last time for all she knew, if the end of her journey was near. So she said each goodbye as if it was her last. Her brother deserved it and he would get it, no matter what.

“Trev, you know I don’t want to go but I have to,” she frowned. “Trust me if I could stay I would, but we all know what happened last time,” she giggled, letting a smile escaped.

Last time she attempted to sleep right near her brother’s grave, not wanting to leave. She fell into a deep slumber, just like she use to in her old bedroom. She felt at home and safe, knowing her brother was by her side. Early in the morning, the sky still dark, the old man working the graveyard shift, literally, walked around with his lantern. He patrolled the whole yard, walking up and down the rows, making sure nobody disturbed the dead. When he saw her sleeping, he jumped to his feet, sprinting toward her.

“Out! Out!” he yelled, tapping her with his lantern. She never really got a good night’s sleep ever, not anymore. But at least it was good while it lasted.

‘’Goodbye, I‘ll love you forever,” she said with a final smile. Melody got up from the ground, dusting of her knees. It’s not like it really mattered, there were already permanent dirt stains.

She walked away, picking up her bike, and left the cemetery finally feel satisfied. She always felt better knowing she visited her brother, at least one more time. She walked on the lonely road, pushing her bike next to her. It was a beautiful night, not a sole in sight. It was a full moon tonight, with only a single star in the sky. You were lucky to see any stars in New York, but when you saw one it was special.

She thought back to ’The Lion King’, remembering how the stars in the sky were their ancestors before them. That one star in the sky was Trevor, shining bright like he always did, and always would. And that star would guide her home tonight.

That night Melody made it back to New York City without a problem. It was the first night in months, she slept straight through the night, not to be interrupted once.

* * *

She was walking around Central Park, staring at the beautiful greenery. It was rare to see any of the color in this concrete jungle. It was a beautiful day, the sky blue and cloudless, a light breeze blowing through the park.

A grumbling sound came from Melody’s stomach and she frowned. She hadn’t eaten in over twenty-four hours, maybe more. Food was hard to come across unless you stole it or picked it out of the trash. The soup kitchen was out of the question. Lines and lines of tens and maybe even hundreds of people stood outside last time she went. They ran out of food before they got to her. They ran out of food before they got to the sixty people in front of her and the hundred more behind her too.

She had gone to the women’s shelter once and slept there one night. She was fed a warm meal and given some fresh clothes to wear. She slept on something that actually wasn’t a sidewalk. But she didn’t feel comfortable there. It didn’t feel like home. The city was her home.

She sat on a park bench, watching the people go back. There were the business men, dressed in clean suits marching by with their suitcases in hand. There were the mothers, smiling as they strolled their baby carriages through the park. There were the alcoholics, walking early in the morning with that bottle of whiskey hidden in that brown paper bag.

“Jessica?” The name started her. She hadn’t heard someone call her that in so long. She turned her head and gasped. It had been a long time since she last talked to her, the only best friend she ever had.

“Jodi?”

Her former best friend ran over to her and wrapped her in a tight hug. She looked as she always did, a little older if that. She still smelled of vanilla perfume, her favorite scent ever since the second grade. Jodi backed up and stared at Melody, her smile soon disappearing. She looked up and down, staring at the disheveled form of the girl she once knew.

“I heard you ran away,” she trailed off, staring at the scars, bruises, and dirt on Melody’s knees. “What happened?” Her voice was sincere, like she still cared for her.

“I grew up, that’s what happened.” She looked at her shoes, noticing a hole that was forming on the side of her old black, beaten up Converse.

“Jess--,”. But melody interrupted her.

“I’m not Jessica any more, Jodi.” Her voice held little emotion. Only sadness could be heard. “It’s Melody.”

“Look I know life at home wasn’t that good and then Trev--”, but she didn’t let her finish again.

“He has nothing to do with it. Don’t bring him into it.”

Jodi wasn’t allowed to say his name, not now, not ever.

“I’m sorry, I told you a thousand times, I was, I mean I am,” Jodi’s voice started to quiver along with her bottom lip. Tears started to form in her eyes, but not one dared to fall.

“I asked you to come to his funeral. I needed you to come for me, to support me. I needed a shoulder to cry on, a hand to hold.” Anger was laced in Melody’s voice, her fists clenching. “But instead, you were out fucking your boyfriend,” she screamed, her voice piercing the calm quietness. “You’d rather lose your damn virginity then help me when I needed you most.”

People stopped and started looking at them, Melody’s voice raising.

“I lost everything that day. My family. My brother. My only friend. I lost Jessica that day.” Her tone eased, but it still stung and went straight through Jodi, hitting her straight at the heart.

“I’d say it was nice to see you again but I’d be lying,” Melody shrugged. “Good-bye.”

That was the last time she saw Jodi and the last time she ever let her past hurt her again.
♠ ♠ ♠
First I want to say thank you for all the wonderful, lovely comments that made my day.
I really don't know where I'm going with this story but I just love writing it and it just comes to me as I write so I really don't have a set plan on how this will turn out.
I'll try to update again tomorrow.
xoxo