The Slut Survival Guide

six.

Secret #7: Anything done in a parking lot exceeds slutty and becomes skanky.

"Trent!" Cathy excitedly said to me, sitting across from me at the lunch table.

"Hello to you too, Catherine," I said, smiling.

She picked up her phone to send a text message and then looked back up at me. "Trent Puck wants you," she said.

"I don't even know who that is." I turned my head to the left, scanning the lunch room.

Valerie hadn't been at school in a while due to the flu, so Cathy had been extra pushy lately. And I couldn't avoid it because there was no one else to talk to. Cathy, Val, and I always ate lunch together and that was it. Valerie usually calmed Cathy down, as she would get way too excited about the most extravagant ideas.

"Trent's on lacrosse," she said. "He asked me about you a day or two ago."

I quickly returned my gaze to Cathy as she said lacrosse. Trent may have been locker-room boy. Or one of them, anyway. "Oh. Well, what do you want me to do about that?"

Cathy gave me a look. "I want you to meet up with him! And by meet up, I mean hook up." She took out a pack of gum and popped a piece in her mouth. "Want one?"

"No thanks," I said, shaking my head.

"Don't worry about it, Tanya. He's a good kisser," she assured me, turning her head to the place where Trent was sitting. "He's over there; the one in the black shirt with the blond hair."

Trent seemed to be good-looking, but right next to him sat Tim. His copper hair was the most visible, and he was clearly the best-looking one at the table. I felt a sense of pride as I realized that I had gotten with him. Directing my attention back to Trent, I pondered whether he could be one of the boys in the locker room.

"I mean, if he asks me, I will," I said.

Cathy smiled. "Good girl. So tell me. How are you liking this?"

"Liking what?" I asked, turning my attention back to her.

"Being a slut, of course. Your little senior project." Cathy giggled at her own joke and leaned forward.

"I mean, it's what I wanted, right?" I took a sip of my water to cover my face, which had doubt written all over it.

Cathy nodded. "I'm glad. You deserve a little action, girl. Can't walk into college a virgin."

I nodded back at her, as if what she was saying was the absolute truth.

The lunch bell rang to signal us back to our classes. Cathy collected her things and waved good-bye to me.

"Bye, Cath," I said, and began picking up my bag, when I heard a familiar voice.

"Bathroom buddy!" Oliver chimed.

I burst into a smile, which I managed to tame before I turned around to face him. "Hey," I said as calmly as I could.

"How's it going?" He asked, extending a hand to help me up off my chair.

I took his hand, which was really soft, and looked up at him. "It's going well. Where are you headed?"

"AP World History with Kwan." He looked away for a second and opened his mouth, a little hesitant, but then began speaking. "Hey, uhm, if you're not busy this Saturday..."

"Yes!" I burst out, a little too loudly.

He laughed. "Cool. I'll text you." He smiled at me and then turned to walk to his next class.

Although I knew Cathy wouldn't approve of an actual non-hookup date, I was not about to turn Oliver down. Cathy didn't have to know about the date, and Oliver didn't have to know that my major life goal right now was to be a whore before college.

I smiled as I watched Oliver walk away and turn the corner. I turned and began walking the other way, locking eyes with Tim. He was looking at me, a sly smirk on his face. He raised a hand and wiggled his fingers in a strange sort of wave. I nervously returned it, trying to convince myself that the jealousy I had seen in his eyes had just been a trick of the light.