Inside Me Your Secrets Hide

Inside Me Your Secrets Hide

Her point of view

The seaweed was in the way again. It kept wrapping around her arms and body as if it wanted to halt her actions tonight more than on any other night. But she didn’t give up; her slim blue arms kept struggling undistracted, making a way for her body to slip through dark circles and chains of green.

Her eyes were reflecting the light of the river surface; the glittering movement of curly water was the destination of her dreams. She kept pushing, splashing, almightily and hopefully proceeding along the track of one piercing moonbeam. For a while she felt like a little seahorse on its helpless journey through the ocean, seeking a seashell to use as a boat. Her dream was her boat – tonight and every night. Although to wish upon a star, she was made to believe, was not the best way to start a life.

Little did she care. Her body automatically followed the trajectory of her wishes. Until the mass of her golden hair appeared in the world of humans suddenly. Her nostrils quivered, eagerly taking the night air in. She could smell so many aromas and had no idea what all of them were. There was more than one thousand, for sure. And her eyes were wide, staring at the sky in enchantment. The water dropping from her eyelashes made it look like she was crying, moved by all the beauty.

The sky smelled heavenly. It was very bright tonight. It looked like a monumental rock with many little phosphorescent fish hidden in it. Her blue lips parted in awe. She kept gazing at the living statue above. Her lips moved, whispering words in language of water.

And then she quickly looked to the bank of the river. Frantically searching for any movement, any sound different from the sounds of water, air and earth. If she had any lungs, she’d hold her breath now to not disturb the ears in the effort to detect her object.

For a long while she couldn’t hear or see it. Her long fingers interlaced as much as the pellicles connecting them allowed it. Her long fish tail pushed hard against the body of the water to bring her closer to one of the rocks. She leaned against it, gripping the cold and the sharp and resting her dark blue, glittering chin against it.

And then it appeared. Small, twinkling star. The only star which instead of shining up on the sky was moving somewhere in the trees, making its way to the river. Jumping, swinging from side to side. No, it didn’t look like it fell from the sky and became unhappy because it couldn’t go back. It was a very happy star. It probably didn’t fall from the sky at all. This star was twinkling in a very different way. It had a special shine and the fact it was in movement, unlike the quiet stars on the canopy of the heavens, was fascinating. She gripped the rock harder, scared to death. Possessed.

What could this little star mean? What was it? Who was it? Why was it coming here? Why did it show to her? What was she supposed to do?

She could never enter the land. But she was pretty sure that the little star stole her heart and was carrying it, jumping with it carelessly and happily all over the whole reality. Making the river feel so small and the sky so poor.

And giving sense to night.

His point of view

“Hey, hey” he said soothingly, patting the brown, softly glistening nape of his horse. The animal snorted and stopped. Such a beautiful, strong being.

He quietly slid off the saddle and then took the bridle and led the horse through the woods. Only short distance was separating them from the crystal moonlit river now. He kept talking to the horse quietly, enjoying this night ride to the river. Every night he’d come here, to rest and to watch the sky.

The horse shook its head, the long silky mane flying from side to side in a very graceful way, while various parts of the harness rang softly and barely audibly, casting broken pieces of moonlight in every direction.

It had to be the most relaxing sound ever. The man’s ears absorbed it eagerly, letting it run through his nerve fibers, from the ends of them to the centre and back, making him shiver slightly. He gently led the horse to the bank of the river and let it drink.

And when the slurping sounds of the horse’s tongue tasting the water filled his mind, he went down to the cold ground and folded his legs. He knew the horse wouldn’t go anywhere. It was a good, obedient horse. The man could watch the lovely shine the moon gave to his horse’s mane. He always spent a lot of time brushing it and combing it, quite obsessed with the idea of turning it as shiny as his little star was.

At the thought of the little star, the man’s eyes quickly focused on the distant outlines of the river scenery. Woods, water surface… very peaceful and quiet. And yes, there it was. Little star, one, two, three… a whole bundle of little stars. They were very different from those he could see on the sky. And it wasn’t so much because of their unusual location or because of how they were organized. The thing that was making them stand out so much was the way they were shining. It wasn’t the kind you could see on the sky. These stars were brightly, mindblowingly golden.

So golden that many times he wished he could swim there, find the place his stars were rooted at, and collect them all into a box. And then he’d weave a big fishnet from them. He didn’t know what he would use that net for. But he hoped that maybe one night he could throw it so high it would get stuck on the sky somehow. He knew it was probably impossible. But he really wished to return those stars to the sky. Because he saw no sense in looking at the sky without these stars being a part of it.

They were very very small and there was so many of them. So many that he sometimes thought of them as one. His little star. He wanted to keep it forever. And in order to do so, he came to the river every single night. And while his horse was drinking from the moon-spiced water, he was dreaming of getting naked, diving his body into it and swimming his way to the heap of waiting, twinkling stars.

But he also believed that some things exist to be admired and never to be hunted and touched.

And stars… stars, to him, were not meant to be owned.

He spent only few moments at the river bank. After a while he got up and embraced his horse for a short moment of needy love, then jumped into the saddle and rode back to where he came from.


Twinkle, twinkle, little star,
How I wonder what you are.
Up above the world so high,
Like a diamond in the sky.
Twinkle, twinkle, little star,
How I wonder what you are.
Down on earth so very wide
Like a dream for me you glide.
Twinkle, twinkle, little star,
Inside me your secrets hide.
Up above the world so high,
Down on earth so very wide.