September Moon

1st Presentations

Carrie was in her second year, she wasn’t slim nor was she in any way fat, she was just ’Carrie’. she often referred to herself like that, even though she had through her change in style gotten several other labels: emo-kid, freak, Goth, punk, sicko even… she didn’t care though, but when she was younger and they called her fat or freak she would feel really hurt, now she knew it was only her clothes they judged, and no-one would dare to call her any other names than those mentioned above, she was a tough chick, at least on the outside.

If you met Carrie a dark night you would hold on to your purse, her ripped pantyhose, her short dull green and white skirt, her T-shirt with the inscription ‘outlaw’ and her long fingerless glove with the chains… her dark, overdone makeup, but she liked the attention. Carrie had no record though; she was as clean as new snow…

School had started again a month or so ago, finally she was not a junior anymore. Last year was a humiliation, she wore ‘normal’ clothes and a lot of rumours had been sticking to her like glue, then before the summer break she started to get a style and she built more and more to it, even with her short amount of money she managed to get an awesome look (in some people’s opinion at least).

Once again she had eye contact with that interesting junior, he was one of the new freaks, his friends were all male, and all ‘freaks’. They wore only black and had they hair dyed black. This guy in particular was interesting, Carrie had accidentally been spying on him (she meant to spy on his friend as he looked very much alike a singer she was crazy about). But this dude, in his floor-length black (of course) jacket, his long slim pants, black as well, with straps going from one leg to the other, he had long black hair and either he was just extremely pale or he wore powder…
Carrie was quick to make a joke to her ‘normal’ friends, trying to get her mind off Michael, she wouldn’t have a chance anyway, and she knew his friend, (The one who looked like a singer) was making jokes about her, because he had gotten the impression that she had a crush on him… and there he came, out of a classroom. ‘Chemistry’ it said on the black door-sign with white letters on the green door.
“Did you see him?” Hannah, the girl with the most amazing long, thick, curled reddish brown hair ever, she had a love for skulls and bright colours, all in one great mix, asked enthusiastically when the guys were out of earshot, Carrie nodded with a smile, she knew Hannah wasn’t referring to Michael, but to Kasper.
“I dare you to talk to him at the school party next week” Sandy, a beautiful young woman with long hair, who always knew how to dress, said with a smirk to Carrie, Carrie reached for her hand and shook it
“Alright, deal!” she announced loudly.

That was how it all started, how she was going to meet Michael, talk to him and his friends, find out about who they were and why…

After her Religion class she hurried packing her bag and threw it over her shoulder, she felt how her shoulder was aching from the weight of the books. She sighed heavily as she asked the others where they were going to have next class and how many they had left, the answer made her sigh even deeper, it was only half past 11, it was recess now. She wouldn’t be released from this place before half past 3… so unfair!

She followed Leila, a girl only a bit younger than Carrie, with long golden hair, who wore the clothes she had fixed herself; she was almost a goddess to Carrie when they first met. To her favourite place of all to eat, the black couches in the drawn back aria, it was silent, not like the canteen where the rest of the school preferred eating. The level of noise was terrible and if you didn’t already have, you were sure to get a terrible headache.

“So…” his voice made her look up, it wasn’t to her, it was to a guy she had somehow befriended when they were kids and went to grade school, now they were both second year students at the same high school (this is now how I would explain it, to make it a little clearer, it is somehow a mix of high school and college)
“Not too much, it’s a little slow I guess” Nick said, stretched and yawned. Michael’s lips formed a smile
“I need some advice” Michael said, looking into the face of his blonde, long-haired punk friend.
“So the great Michael is in need of advice?” Nick laughed at him.
“You know the party next week, I was thinking about going, but if it’s gonna be whack, I’m not… so I thought, since you’ve been here for a year, you’d been to at least one of those parties…” he spoke, Carrie was listening to their conversation while she held track of her friends’ conversation about a teacher they were all together in hating for the way he treated females.
“Those parties are awesome, I always go… the beer isn’t that great, but you don’t drink anyway… yeah I think you’ll like it” Nick concluded; now it was Michael to yawn.
he doesn’t drink? Carrie lost track of the conversation about Pete. She thought her and her friends were the only ones who didn’t, and then him…she wouldn’t have expected that, not that it would have mattered, guys could be great and both drink and smoke, it was what was inside that mattered…
“Carrie?!” Sandy asked, letting her hand wave in front of her eyes, Carrie was snapped out of her thoughts.
“Are you with us?” Leila joked; Carrie shook her head with a grin
“Nope, I’m not here… oh my gosh! I don’t know where I am! Ah! Find me!” she shrieked, it was one of their little jokes that kept them alive on long days, it would always bring laughter.

Michael noticed the giggling girls from the other side of the room; he secretly rolled his eyes and gave Nick a look.
“What’s their problem!” he whispered to Nick
“Hey relax, I know one of them, we went to the same grade school in 7 out of 9 years!” Nick whispered back.
“Which girl?” Michael wanted to know
“Carrie, the punk chick” Nick pointed out, Michael nodded and put a hand on his chin.
“So would you hate me if I found her hot?” he said licking his lips, Nick had to laugh at him.
“Of course I don’t mind… but aint she a little young for you?” Nick said, putting a fist in the shoulder of his friend.
“How old is she then?” the black haired wondered
“A few months older then me, she’s 17 then” Nick informed Michael slowly nodding.
“Oh you damn mathematicians! But I must admit, it could have been worse…”

“We better get up to room 38” Hannah said, she had already gotten up and hung her bag over her shoulders.
“Yeah let’s” Leila sighed and threw the pasta she had not already eaten into the bin.
They left for the class room, waiting for an English class, thankfully they had gotten a new teacher since last year, it had been an outright witch who had for some reason chosen to especially hate Carrie and the girls.

“Good day class, today we’re gonna discuss the text you all, I assume, read today ‘Under Suspicion’” the English teacher started his speech as he entered the room, Carrie looked down at her text then up at Larry, she knew what would come next
“Have any of you found any sexual themes?” he asked in his British English “Carrie, could you please give us an example?” he asked her nicely, she sent him a seductive smile
“Sure… well in the beginning he mentions the secretary and her pantyhose, maybe, I don’t know, maybe he is having an affair with her? Since he’s so preoccupied with those?” she asked, an even wider smile occurred on Larry’s lips.
“That is correct, thank you Carrie!”
Carrie smiled to herself, she loved when she did well in classes, especially this one, she couldn’t wait to see what kind of grades he would give her when that day would come.
No, Larry wasn’t bad at all, he did not have any dark intentions with his sexual texts, he was just simply trying to hit the head on the nail on what young people were interested in, he thought it was sex, drugs and rock’n’roll, well it was, wasn’t it?

Next class would be in the same room so after finding her biology books she reached for her red lipstick and applied more of it, she knew that by now most of what she had applied this morning had come off.
Suddenly she felt her black hair brace, the one with the white stars on, being taken out of her hair. When she looked up she saw a girl dressed only in black and red, her hair dark brown (like Carrie’s) she wore dark makeup, she was almost the same as Carrie, style wise at least, only a bit more emo and Goth, even though June claimed to definitely not be emo…
“How many hair braces do you have?” June asked, putting it down on the table and taking a large bite of her green apple.
“Only three” Carrie smiled, June was a friend of Leila’s, but Carrie and June seemed to fit though, they often talked when June came to find Leila, who didn’t mind…
“Cool” June shrugged “Oh shoot, I have another class… but you’ve got two…” she sang as she left the room, almost bumping into the teacher, Camille.

Today’s class was about digesting of food, how lovely… well actually it wasn’t, it was gross! Very gross actually! Carrie hated it, it made her stomach cramp lightly, she didn’t know why though…
Though, today Camille finished the subject and went on to other things, such as smoking, alcohol and drugs…
“So, how many of you smoke?” she asked the class, more than half of the 23 students raised a hand, (Carrie and her friends were 4 of the few who didn’t)
“Right…” she was noting it on a piece of paper, “How many of you drink then? Just once a week? Most of the class if not all, I assume?” she asked, this time the only ones who didn’t raise a hand were Carrie and her friends. There were a few whispers of being ‘holy’ and what not, well yeah, Sandy was faithful in her religion, the other 2 had excuses from their homes, but Carrie, she just didn’t like alcohol and the idea of drinking it, just to get drunk…
well she was known as the girl who didn’t drink and it was her own fault, the first day at school here, last year, she had to say 2 things that were characteristic for her, one of those she mentioned was not drinking, that resulted in heartfelt laughter from both students and teachers (the other thing was that she wrote poetry).
“Those numbers are very high!” the teacher announced, everyone went into a muttering chatter.
“You do know this will kill you in the end?” she preached “in fact, the only reasonable persons in here are Leila, Hannah, Carrie and Sandy” she announced pointing towards them.

“Canteen!” Leila cried and all 4 made their way to the canteen. Carrie soon felt an elbow in her side from Hannah; it was Michael, Kasper and some other dudes, with the same sort of style.
“I see them” Carrie whispered
“Remember our bet!” Sandy said loudly, she was walking backwards, not caring for the risk of walking into someone.
“Yeah sure” Carrie said, it had happened once again, she had unwillingly caught Michael’s eyes, they were almost pitch-black.
“Earth to Carrie?!” Hannah laughed as she had realized her friend’s absentminded behaviour.
“He’s so hot!” Carrie couldn’t keep it in as soon as she saw Michael leave followed by his mates.
“Who?” Leila asked, once she had bought a rye bun.
“Michael…” Carrie said dreamily
“Who’s he?” she asked in direction of the hot drinks machine.
“You wouldn’t like him anyway… you know, one of the dudes in black…” Carrie explained, Leila listened while she put her money in the machine and chose a hot cocoa.
“Ah, I see! Want me to introduce you?” she asked, getting her cup.
“Of course not!” Carrie practically shrieked.
“Oh aaalright….” The girl joked, they were on their way to another class room, last class would be classical studies… gosh, what a time to place such a class, and what was the point anyway? Why did they have to hear about Greek gods and goddesses?