I Can Tell

Little Boys And Their Mess

Adie’s POV:

We walked back down to the kitchen and finished unloading groceries. I noticed that Billie looked a little tired and said,

“You look tired, you better not be getting sick too. I’ll finish up the rest babe, you go watch TV or something.”

“No, I’m just a little tired from earlier,” he said, as a huge smile spread across his face.

“Oh, well then you can help me put away the rest of this,” I said, as I smiled back. He stood there staring at me.

“What?” I asked in an annoyed tone, “You already got lucky once today, so don’t push it.”

“Fine..” he said, as he stuck out his lower lip forming a pout.

“Baby…” I muttered under my breath.

“Tease..” he replied.

When we finished the groceries, we both went and sat down in the living room and Billie turned on the TV.

“Mommy!” I heard Jakob cry from the top of the stairs.

“I’m coming Jake,” I said, as I quickly stood up and headed towards him up the stairs.

“Go into the bathroom sweety, I’m coming,” I said as I reached the top of the stairs seeing his pale face.

He ran off through my bedroom door, towards the bathroom, where I saw a very, very pale Joey slowly walking the other way into the hallway.

“Mom, I don’t feel good,” he moaned in pain.

“Alright hunny, go to the other bathroom, daddy will be up in a minute,” I said, as I yelled,

“Billie, come take care of Joey, he’s in the main bathroom.”

Billie came bolting up the stairs and ran into the bathroom where Joey was.

Billie’s POV:

I heard Adie yell at me, so I quickly ran up the stairs and into the bathroom to see a very upset Joey sitting on the floor with his head on the toilet.

“Aww, Joe,” I said, as I kneeled down beside him putting my hand on his back, “You don’t look so good.”

“I don’t feel good,” he said, as he lifted his head up, tears streaming down his small, pale face.

I stood up and ran a facecloth under cold water, squeezed it out, then held it to his forehead.

“Let’s get you back into bed then,” I said in a comforting voice, as I wiped away his tears with the back of my hand.

“No, my tummy hurts,” he replied, laying his head back onto the rim of the toilet.

“That feels good though daddy,” he said in a whisper, referring to the cold cloth I had on his head.

“Are you gonna be sick again?”

“Yes!” he said, as his eyes widened and he lifted his head up and threw up, missing the toilet completely. He put a hand to his mouth, trying to stop himself so he wouldn’t make a mess of the bathroom.

“It’s okay Joey, just let it come,” I said, as I rubbed his back. I took the cold cloth and wiped his hands and face.

“Sorry daddy, I didn’t mean to make a mess,” he said, referring to the now puke covered toilet and surrounding floor.

“It’s okay bud, I’ll clean it up. You ready to go back to bed?” I asked, as I took off his shirt that was now covered in vomit and tossed it into the sink.

“Ummmm…ya…but I can’t,” he said in a small voice, as he lifted his arms over his head.

“Why?”

“Cause I didn’t make it to the bathroom.”

“Oh,” I said, as I grabbed him a clean shirt and carried him through the doorway to my room.

“I see that.”

I moaned when I saw my very disgusting looking room. It was everywhere. I didn’t know he had that much in him to begin with. I set him down on the day- bed in the corner of our room just as Adie came out of the bathroom with Jakob in her arms.

“Oh,” she said, as she layed Jakob down next to Joey,

“I’ll go get some clean sheets,” and she wondered off into the hallway leaving me to take off the dirty ones.

When we had finally got the bed changed and the boys back into bed, Adie laid with them while I went to clean up Joey’s mess in the bathroom. I finished the cleanup and walked back into my room to change out of my puke-covered shirt. I opened the door slowly and tiptoed into the room. Adie was reading them the next chapter in Holes. I quietly opened our closet and slipped on my Misfits t-shirt. I closed the closet doors and walked towards the bed where the three of them lay.

“Mind if I join?” I asked, as I crawled under the covers next to Jakob. “This is the best part of the book.”

“Sssshhhh daddy!! I can’t here mommy,” said Jakob in an annoyed voice.

“Well soo - rrrr - yyy,” I replied in a loud voice, receiving a giggle from Joey in response.

“Billie, shut it,” said Adie, as she took a break from reading to calm us down “I’m trying to get them to sleep.”

“Sorry,” I said sheepishly and closed my eyes as she continued reading.