Status: complete.

Before the Storm

Never Give Up.

"Okay...you promised," Althea was curled up on the couch of the downstairs sitting room. Her elbow had required seven stitches and a large dressing before Carlisle had considered it taken care of. Looking back on the afternoon's events, she pretty much regretted what she had done...especially with her elbow, "now tell me what really happened."

"Are you sure you want to know?"

"Positive,"

"Okay then. Remember the vampire that was in the clearing the night you found out the truth about us?"

"Yeah...that was pretty scary, not gonna lie. She wanted to get me, didn't she?"

"Not just you...pretty much any human she could get her hands on. But for all intents and purposes, you're the one she wants. She killed your mother," Althea's jaw dropped as she realized what Edward's words meant.

"H-how?"

"Do you really want to know how? It's not that pleasant..."

"I'm a big girl, I can handle it," Althea braced herself for whatever shock Edward would present her with.

"She snapped her neck and drained her body of all the blood,"

"Oh my God. How could anyone-"

"She's not just anyone, Thea. That's what you have to remember. Her kind, our kind, are meant to thrive off human blood and to destroy humans. My family and I are some of the only vampires that are against this type of lifestyle. There are others that don't kill humans for pleasure, but you can bet your bottom dollar that they live off of their blood," Edward patted her shoulder, but Althea wasn't comforted. She was even more confused.

"If she just wants blood, why is she after me me?"

"That's the question, isn't it? None of us know. It's not like you killed her mate or anything she could take revenge against...it's a mystery at this point," Edward's beautiful face was clouded with confusion as he racked his brain on what she could have been after.

"Are you and the wolves still looking out for her?"

"Of course,"

"And?"

"We taken gotten a trace of her yet,"

"Great," Althea sighed as she looked outside and frowned at the pouring rain, "things just keep getting better and better."

_____

"Has anyone gotten her scent down yet?" Paul was intently staring at the rest of his pack as they shook their heads. He grimaced and sighed. He wished he could do more to help Althea...if she had stayed on the reservation, Paul reasoned to himself, she'd still be safe.

"Besides that leech never gets close to the boundary for us to properly smell or see her," Jacob rolled at his eyes at Paul and bit into the muffin that had been calling his name for so long.

"Maybe, if someone was more experienced-"

"Shut up! This has nothing to do with experience,"

"Oh?"

"It's that stupid leech. If she would come around more or stick around long enough then we could have her by now,"

"Anyway," Sam had had enough of listening to Paul and Jacob bickering back and forth. It was getting old, "I've been speaking to the Cullen's leader and he is more than okay with us crossing the boundary and keeping an eye on things."

"Meaning?"

"Paul and Jacob, the two of you are spending the night at the Cullens'," the werewolves' jaws dropped as they could just imagine thesmell stink they'd have to put up with all night.

"You're kidding, right?"

"Do I look like I'm kidding?"

"Fine," Paul stood up and reached for his jacket...and then opted to leave it since it wouldn't be necessary once they were in their wolf state, "come on, pup."

"Shut the hell up, Paul,"

"No arguing!" Sam and the rest of the pack snickered a bit as they watched Paul and Jacob frown at each other in the pouring rain.

______

"How much longer do you think she'll be trying to get me?" Althea swung her legs back and forth from where she was sitting on the kitchen counter. Jasper and Alice had gotten back from "camping" and Althea figured she might as well make use of Jasper's knowledge of his fellow vampires.

"Some vampires will never give up-"

"-So she could be stalking me until I die?!"

"Or she gets killed. It could go either way. Some of them get bored after a while and want a new kill or a new thrill. We'll have to wait and see," Jasper smiled gently at her and her face grew even more worried. It would be a long time before she died...but it could have been sooner, given the circumstances, "but don't worry, Thea. We'll get her long before she even gets close to you."

"I hope so," she sighed and tried to imagine dying at the hand of a vampire. The images in her mind were, unsurprisingly, not that pleasant.
♠ ♠ ♠
Comments would be lovely (: