Status: Slow But Sure

I'm Adopted: Vengeance Edition.

102

*Jackie's POV*



I was in my own bed, my own house, the air warm against my skin. All I knew was I was laughing, having a good time watching TV with some girl, we were eating popcorn and drinking wine. That's when it started..

"I promise, it'll be fine, no one will find out."

"I can't, I can't do that again.. not to Matt." I felt the hard cold plastic touch against my fingertips.

"Oh come one, one hit isn't going to kill you."

I couldn't name the face, but the voice was familiar. Her smile was seering into my eyes and her eyes were shining brighter than possibl.

"It will, I can't do it, please stop.." I begged, begged with my life as she laughed loudly. I could feel my hands trembling as she came closer.

"Jaclyn, trust me." She smiled, taking the syringe from my grasp "Trust me."

"Stop it..." I felt hot tears running down my face as she pressed the metal tip against my arm.

"Trust me. I promise you'll feel better." The voice I had recognized left, but replaced with a much more recognizable one..

"Matt?" I asked as her face contorted, mimicking Matt's laugh, he tossed his head back "Please stop!" I cried as the needle pierced my skin.

I winced as his voice boomed over my cries, his hands gripped my shoulders "You'll be fine, please stop worrying."

I winced as he injected the serum into me, I could feel my head lighten immediatly as I cried more "Please stop, I can't do this, please, you know!"

"Jaclyn.. Jaclyn!" He laughed, but it sounded concerned "What's going on?"


"What's happening? Babe, babe! Stop!"

My eyes widened as my body shook, Matt's concerned face coming into focus quickly. I sat up and pushed him off of me, stumbling from our bed as my hands searched the wall for a light. I found the switch and flicked it on, my blood rushing cold through my veins.

Matt's POV

"Babe. Calm down, it was a nightmare, what's going on?" I asked carefully, getting out of bed to help her before she fell.

She flicked the light on and her eyes flicked up to me. Her arms extended infront of her, her skin white as paper, her eyes wild and scared. "STOP!" She screamed at me, still trying to find her footing.

I stoppe moving and put my hands up, not sure what she was flipping out about, but I knew it had been bad, she had been yelling and crying in her sleep for over half an hour. And it was the fifth time in the month we'd been in Miami, but it was never this bad, usually just a whimper once a night.

Her hands flew to her arms, her fingertips scanned her skin as she frantically looked around. My stomach lurched at her gestures.

"I.. It... You.." She pointed at me and looked in the bed "Where.. It felt.. I felt it.."

"Babe, what's wrong? What did you dream?" I asked, taking a step towards her.

She shook her head, wiping her face with her small arm "It's fine." She picked up the blanket around her feet "I have to use the bathroom." She tossed the blanket on to the bed and walked towards the door.

"Please tell me?" I asked.

She stopped dead in her tracks and turned around "Maybe later. I need to go now." She stared at me for a second before walking down the hall.

I sat on the bed and fixed the blankets, I heard the bathroom door slam from down the hall. I looked up and cocked my head, why couldn't she have used the bathroom attatched to our room? I shrugged and grabbed my phone. I unlocked the screen and looked at the message I had waiting.

Zack: WHEN ARE YOU GUYS COMING BACK TO VISIT? WE MISS YOU GUYS.

Me: Hey, Jackie just had some nightmare again and she's freaking out.. She checked her arms when she woke up... concerned.

I waited a minute and he responded.

Zack: Uhm... keep an eye on her? Don't let her out of your sights for a day or two

Me: She's in the bathroom now, should I go get her?

My phone rang. I groaned "What?!" I asked.

"Well I'm not going to text you a book, retard." He laughed "And plus, it's later here than it is there so shut the fuck up pussy."

"Ok, what's up?" I asked.

"Ok two options. She's taking her meds and didn't want to take them infron of you, or she's throwing up, or just crying."

"Oh, cool, so she's either freaked out by me suddenly, bulemic, or can't confide in me." I shrugged "Lovely." I listened as I heard the shower turn on "She's... showering.."

"Wait, what?" Zack asked.

"It's fucking eleven at night here you moron, it's two there." I laughed.

"Whatever, what's wrong with her showering?"

"I don't know, she woke up crying and yelling, this time it was really bad. She like had her hands out to keep me away too. She got out of bed and turned the lights on then checked her arms. I don't know what happened."

"Something to do with you." Zack yawned "I forgot time went forward out there." He mumbled "I don't know, but go check on her, tell her I called and was looking for her though. She'll call me and tell me. I'll let you know."

"Alright dude, have a good night."

"You two."

I heard the bathroom door open, I hadn't even noticed the shower shut off. I stayed sitting, my legs hanging off the bed. Jackie walked by the bedroom door with her hair hanging wet around her shoulders, a black tank top and black shorts on. Her head stayed forward but her eyes focused on the room, and she walked right by.

"That wasn't creepy at all." I mumbled to myself.

"I'm gonna go get some water, I'll be right back up babe!" She called back. I shrugged and laid down, figuring she'd be right back..

I was woken up by the sound of something crashing downstairs. I looked around and noticed Jackie hadn't come back yet. I grabbed my phone and realized it was four in the morning. I sighed and stood up, wondering where the fuck she went. I looked down the hall and none of the lights were on. "Jackie?" I asked quietly, gaining no response.

I began walking down the hall and bumped into Maddy's open bedroom door, which we usually left closed at night. I cocked my head and walked in, Maddy was asleep in her bed. No Jackie. I walked over to her bedside and leaned down, kissing her forhead. As I stood up, something out the window caught my eye.

I walked over and saw someone walking in the street out front. I ran to the stairs and saw the front door ajar. I skipped two stairs at a time as quietly as I could. I stood by the open door and looked out the window. It was our neighbors daughter. I quickly shut the front door and bolted it shut.

"Jackie?" I asked, not a single light was on. I could hear faint talking but couldn't exactly figure out where it was coming from. I walked in to the kitchen and turned the light on, no one.

I checked every room in the house and the talking stopped. I was beginning to get freaked out. Why the fuck was the front door open? Where in the name of fuck did Jackie go? What the fuck was going on?

"DADDA?!"

I heard Maddy's voice scream and I ran to the base of the stairs where she was standing at the top "Baby what's wrong?" I asked.

"Mare.." She cried, her little fists rubbing her eyes.

"C'mere baby." I held my arms out as she sat on her butt and scooted down the stairs. I picked her up and held her against me "It's ok, we can go make some coffee soon ok?" I asked.

"Ok... for Mumma?" She asked. I nodded, if Jackie had to work in the afternoon usually Maddy and I made breakfast and coffee for her. But considering she was kind of MIA we couldn't do that right now.

I kept walking around and decided to try the backyard. I opened the slider door and heard screaming from the house down the street from us, fucking psychos.

"Mumma?" Maddy asked as her head lifted from my shoulder.

I turned quickly, having to hold Maddy tight to my body from the force of my turn "Where?" I asked.

"There." She pointed up.

I took a breath and looked up to where all I could see was Jackie's arm hanging over the balcony. "Ah shit." I sighed looking down at the ground below her. The patio was soaked and there was a pill bottle laying in the center of the vomit.

"Baby can you watch TV while Daddy goes and gets Mumma?" I asked, Maddy nodded "How about ponies?" I asked.

"YES YES!" She smiled and sat on the couch. I ran to the kitchen and grabbed her milk then turned the TV on. I kissed her forhead quickly before grabbing my cell phone off the couch on my way up the stairs. I turned every goddamn light on in the house on my way and came to the closed study door.

"Jackie?!" I pounded on the locked door "Fuck!" I groaned and shook the handle violently "JACKIE!" I tried to keep my voice down as I called Zack.

"WHY HAVEN'T YOU ANSWERED YOUR PHONE?!" He asked, I glanced down at the twenty missed calls.

"I've been trying to find Jackie, and Maddy woke up, regardless, did she call you?!" I asked.

"She called me and was completely wasted-"

"Zack.." I stopped and stepped back, kicking the door in.

"Matt... please tell me you alread found her?" He asked, I could hear the tears in his voice and it killed me.

"I.. I just did.." I ran to the French doors leading to the balcony and fell to my knees. "I... I did find her.."
♠ ♠ ♠
-_-