Status: Slow But Sure

I'm Adopted: Vengeance Edition.

105

Matt's POV

*TWO MONTHS LATER*

Jackie was constantly working, I was constantly at the studio recording, Maddy had a nanny who came at ten in the morning and left by six at night. Deren and I had been in the studio six days a week, which gave Jackie and Kayleigh a lot of time to bond, which was great. They got along extremely well.

Jackie had her hair back to a more controlable state, her skin was getting color back, and she looked healthy and not skeletal now. Her smile was actually bright now and she looked more beautiful than ever. But I could tell something was different, and I was having a hard time deciphering if it was work or the move or what.

Her eating habits were all over the place, and she was always covering up. I had caught a glimpse of her arms and she was clean, but it still worried me.

"Hey can I talk to you?" I asked Deren as we took a break from recording.

"Uh yeah?" He laughed "What's up?"

"Kayleighs been spending a lot of time with Jackie right?" I asked, he nodded "Has she said anything about her lately? Like if she's been weird?"

"Eh, I don't really listen that closely.. why?" He asked, spinning around in his chair to face me.

"Cuz she's been weird the past week or so, I just didn't know if she had said anything to Kayl." I shrugged.

"I don't know, but she's coming to have lunch at the studio today, you can ask her..?" He shrugged "She should be here any minute."

"That'd be awesome, I'm getting worried, she's just... not herself. I don't know." I stood up "Let's kill this track until she gets here then." I walked into the booth.

Within five minutes the door opened and Kayleigh walked in, her bright smile widening as she saw Deren. He stood and they hugged, he placed a kiss on her cheek. He motioned for me to come out and I did.

"What's up Sanders?" She smiled and hugged me "Dee said you had something on your mind?" She asked, handing us each a bag of food.

"Thanks." I smiled as she sat down and gestured for me to continue, pulling her long black hair back before opening the bag of her own. "Ok, so you and Jackie hang out right?" I asked, she nodded as she took a bite of her sandwich "Is there something going on with her? She's been acting weird lately." I sat down across from her as Deren sat next to her.

"Well.." She shrugged "She's her normal hyper social self around me.. I mean, she's a female. It could be that time of the month for her."

"So she hasn't said anything?" I asked "Like, is she happy here?"

"Oh hell yes, she loves it. She never stops talking about how thankful she is that she's back with you and Mads and she loves the Hell out of her job, its kid of horrifying actually. I've never seen someone like work that much." Her eyes evaded mine.

"Kayl, what is it?" Deren asked.

"Nothing." She shrugged "I mean, like," She paused and looked up "It's not my place really."

"Fucking A Kayl, now you have to tell us." Deren laughed "Now I want to know."

"Come on." I stared at her.

"She needs to tell you, Matt. She will when she's comfortable." She shrugged "That's all I got."

"Is she mad at me?" I asked.

"No." She shook her head.

"Is she cheating on me?" I asked..

"Hell to the NO. She doesn't stop how much she loves you." She laughed "It's almost as bad as me." She giggled.

"Is it Maddy? Is she second guessing it?" I asked, hoping none of these would strike a chord.

"No, she's actually upset she works so much that she can't see her. Maybe it's that. Ask her Matt. Not me." She laughed and changed the topic to music, but I couldn't get it off my mind.

There was something wrong, but she couldn't tell me. And Jackie hadn't told me yet... oh joy.