Status: Slow But Sure

I'm Adopted: Vengeance Edition.

106

*Matt's POV*

I could hear Jackie's music in the kitchen all the way from our bedroom. It was Saturday morning, a week after I had talked to Deren and Kayleigh, and I still hadn't figured out what was wrong with Jackie.

I got out of bed and put on a t-shirt, stretching as I sat up. I walked down the hall and noticed Maddy was out of her bed. I walked down the stairs, hearing Jackie's music getting louder. Maddy was sitting watching TV eating pancakes and eggs.

"Mornin love." I leaned down and kissed her forehead.

"Mumma." She pointed at her plate and grinned. I smiled back "Yum!"

"Good girl." I smiled and walked to the kitchen, watching as Jackie flawlessly glided around the kitchen. She was dancing to some Pitbull song wearing gym shorts, fuzzy socks, a tank top, a sweatshirt with the collar cut out, and her hair tied back from her face as she made breakfast.

"Down in DR they lookin' for Visa's and I'm not talkin bout credit cards if you know what I mean..." Jackie sang and danced, she twirled and stopped, spoonfull of pancake batter in her hand, flyinging it onto her face as she stared at me "Oof..." She muttered and dropped the spoon. She brought a towel to her face as she laughed "How long have you been there?" she asked.

"Uh, long enough." I laughed and sat down at the island as she poured me a cup of coffee. "What.. what's the occasion?" I asked, pointing at breakfast.

"Saturday." She smiled "You're... you're never here Saturdays." She shrugged "I always do this, usually Maddys in here with me but she wanted cartoons."

"Oh." I laughed.

"I'm guessing three eggs, four pancackes, and bacon?" She asked, I laughe and nodded "I mean, I might know what you like." She smirked and turned quickly, pushing her hair behind her ear.

"Hey, can I ask you something?" I asked as she turned with my plate in her hands, handing it to me as she leaned on her elbows, coffee cup in hand, staring at me.

"Yah?" She smiled and sipped her coffee.

"What's been up lately? You've been really distant and out of it.." I asked, pausing as she momentarilly choked on her coffee "You ok?" I asked.

"Yah yah, I'm fine. Uh, what do you mean distant? How?" She asked.

"I don't really know. You've been different, not yourself.. you're more conservative, you don't really engage in conversation.." I shrugged "A few things I've noticed."

"Well, I mean.. it's a new place, and I'm still getting used to this again." She gestured to us "I haven't lived with someone other than Zack in so long.." She shrugged.

"Oh, ok. I thought something else was wrong." I laughed as she shrugged "What is it? It's something.." I groaned as she rolled her eyes.

"It's nothing babe." She laughed, I knew that laugh.

"That's your nervous laugh." I pointed out "What's wrong? What are you nervous about??" I asked "Jaclyn." She stopped in her tracks, hunching her shoulders "Tell me now."

"I mean...." She turned and laughed nervously again "Well I mean.. Like... It's nothing... I haven't figured it out yet.."

"What. Is. It." I asked.

"I may be somewhat, kind of, minimally, slightly, potentially, actually, definitely, seriously, really, pregnant..."

"What the fuck?!"

The ceramic of my coffee mug shattered on the floor as I dropped it to the floor, spitting coffee out of my mouth at the sound of her words. Her expression changed drastically as tears poured from her eyes.

"This. This is why I haven't said anything yet..."

As if instantaeously her body caved inwards. Her shoulders collapsed closer together, her knees bent, her arms wrapped around her legs, and her head hit her thighs as she sobbed. Her voice was muffled by her legs as she cried, her back supported by the cabinets.

I took a deep breath, great reaction Matthew... Great.

I quickly walked over and knelt down next to her "I'm sorry, that's not how I should have reacted-"

"How else were you supposed to react, Matt?" Her head snapped up, her voice hissing fire through her lips "Like you were happy? One child is hard enough for us, clearly." The force she used to shove me away was unlike any her body should have been able to manage. "It's fine, I understand." She scooted away from me further and stood "I knew I should have kept it to myself-"

"And then what, Jaclyn?" I asked, standing up now "When you start showing just OH SUDDENLY I'M HAVING A BABY! what? Is that what you anticipated doing? Or what was your goddamn plan?! When would you tell me... would you tell me? what... what were you going to do?.. Jackie?" I asked as options ran through my mind. Her face quickly saturated with tears once again as I shook my head "No... No no..?" I let the question hang in the air as she bit her lip tight and nodded, tears falling to the floor in small helpless puddles.

"I love you, and I don't want to lose that again... I'm sorry.." She wiped her eyes with her sleeve and turned before I could catch her. She was gone, I could hear the bedroom door slam shortly after.

I leaned against the counter, my head in my hands as I tried to wrap my mind around what just happened. I felt something against my leg and looked down as Maddy held on to my skin.

"Dudda?" She looked up, I could see tears in her eyes.

"Oh, sweets, what's wrong?" I asked.

"Mumma's sad?" She asked.

"No, no. Mumma's ok.. she's just... tired." I sighed and picked Maddy up, kissing her cheek hard as she nodded against me "I'm going to give Mumma some time to relax, do you wanna come shopping with me?" I asked as Maddy nodded "Go get dressed." I set her down and she ran upstairs. I sighed and walked to the laundry room where my clean clothes were in the dryer from last night when I put them in. I grabbed some jeans and a sweatshirt and changed before Maddy made it back.

I had to give Jackie some time to cool off and think, and I needed to process what the hell was going on..