Status: Slow But Sure

I'm Adopted: Vengeance Edition.

107

Matt's POV

Maddy and I spent five hours shopping, and we would have been longer if Maddy hadn't started getting tired. I totally forgot she still needed a nap in the afternoon.

"C'mon buggaboo, lets get you to bed." I picked Maddy up out of her carseat. I looked around and saw Jackie's car was still here, hopefully so was she. I brought Maddy up to her room and put her to bed, covering her and leaving a kiss on her forehead.

I made my way down the hall to where Jackie was sitting in the study. Her knees pulled up to her chest, I could hear the tears in her voice as she mumbled. She was on the phone.

"But... I know that's why.." Her body moved the chair and her bright green eyes shot to meet mine "I have to go." She hung up quickly and stood "Hi." She pushed a smile acrossed her lips.

"Hey." I smiled back as she brushed her hair behind her ear. She had showered and gotten dressed since we'd been gone "What's up?"

Her eyes trailed the floor, her mind fighting with her, I could tell.

Jackie's POV

"What's up?" Matt asked.

I traced every inch of the carpet, unknowingly letting the smile fade from my face. I wasn't exactly sure how to tell Matt what was going on, I wasn't sure if I wanted to. What could I do? HOW would I?

"Jackie."

I jumped back as his hands took mine "So-so-sorry." I mumble.

"Can we talk? About.. this?" He looked down towards my stomach. Which in turn lurched into my throat. I ran out of the room, not before holding one finger in the air to cue him to wait for me to return.

I quickly emptied the contents of my stomach in to the bathtub and rinsed it down. I walked back to the study "Sit." I gestured for Matt to sit in the arm chair, which he obliged. "Ok, now..." I paused as his phone went off. I crossed my arms and nodded.

"Hello?" He asked "Hey man, what's... up...?" His face turned from humurous cunfusion to some emotion I couldn't place. "Brian, Brian, slow down, what?" He asked, squinting his eyes as if it would help him see.

My stomach twisted. Brian Elwin Haner Jr. don't, do not open your big fucking mouth.

Matt's eyes shot up to mine, piercing my gaze "No, we were just sitting down actually. Why?"

"No no, no no no." I leapt forward to grab the phone from Matt's, I knew telling Zack was a mistake. Of course he told Brian.

But before I could grasp the phone, Matt stood up and walked away from me, his eyes widening as tears formed. "I.. She... What?!" Matt screamed.

"Matt stop, don't, please." I muttered "I'm sorry!" I shouted "It wasn't my fault!"

Matt dropped the phone to the floor and soon was on his knees, head staring straight at me as tears cascaded down his face.

I instinctively pushed myself as far under the desk as possible, which meant my back was shoved against a wall.

"Matt... I'm sorry." I whispered "It's not what you think-"

"Not what I think?!" He screamed and stood, instantaneously goose bumps covered my skin "You having another man's baby is not what I think?!" He screamed.

Tears fell from my eyes as he threw the nearest object to the wall, a vase shattering across the pale green paint. "Matt please-"

"I fucking... This!" He screamed, gesturing to everything around him "And this is what you do?!" He grabbed my ankle and yanked me from beneath the desk.

I let out a scream as he picked me up by my shoulders and held me to his face "Matt I can explain!" I cried as his fingers dug into my skin "Matt!"

"Explain!" He screamed.

"I was raped a month ago!" The words left my mouth with fire and I quickly closed my smoldering lips.

Matt's hands let their grip go as the shrapnel of my words hit him full speed, point blank, in the face. I felt myself slip to the floor as I once against moved further from him and backed against the bookshelf, holding my knees as unwanted feelings and memories flooded my brain.

I had completely checked out enough that I wasn't watching Matt's reaction. His mixtured of confusion, remorse, and the worst, sadness.

I wasn't aware that right before my eyes, which were unwillingly focussed on memories of that night, my fiance was on the floor sobbing. We were a literal mess.

"I'm sorry." I whispered as I tried to hold my body from shaking "I'm so sorry... I wasn't going to say anything, I was going to.. well.. Matt I'm sorry." I gathered every ounce of courage I could and stood up, walked out of the study, and into the bathroom. I fixed my hair and makeup then walked quickly to the bathroom. It was like one foggy dream. I put on some shorts, a tank top, slipped on an open front sweater, some gladioator flip flops, and my oversized sunglasses.

I grabbed my zip up bag from the bathroom and began walking down the hall. I wiped at the faint tears running down my cheeks and flinched my way into the wall as Matt erupted from the study.

"Jackie-"

"Matt please just dont right now." I pressed my hands against his chest as he advanced towards me, arms open for me to fall into. "I need to go."

"What? W-w-where?" The words stammered from his lips.

I shook my head and grabbed the closet door, swinging it wide open. I grabbed my bag that was prepacked for sudden notice work assignments.

"Wait for how long?" He stared at the bag "Don't go, we need to talk about this-"

"I need to think about this."

And with that I descended the stairs. Ignoring Matt's calls as I walked out the door. I sat in the front seat of my car and rolled all the windows down, rolled back the sunroof, and put the radio on blast. I began driving down the high way soon and let the tears escape my eyes.

I had driven for a while and soon parked the car at the recreation beach. I grabbed my purse and walked down to the rocks. I sat on the edge by the water and stared out over the ocean. The distance was so great it made my mind swim in endless emotions and possibilities.

This baby. What was I doing? There were options of course. Adoption.. Abortion.. Keeping it. But not only what would Matt do, but what would I do? How would I act? Knowing what this baby was created from.. the fact my mind seared with pain at every thought of that night.

My thoughts were ripped from me as my phone vibrated my bag closer to the water. I reached in and saved it just as a wave touched the corner. I put my phone to my ear and winced as Brian began screaming before I could even answer properly.

"WHERE IN GOD'S GREAT EARTH ARE YOU? MATT CALLED FOURTY TIMES AND HE'S FLIPPING OUT JACKIE WHAT TH-"

"Put Zack on pleae." I whispered.

"Can you explain yourself-"

"Now." I huffed and heard a shuffle and then the familier steady breaths coming from Zack's mouth, tears immediately stinging my eyes "Zack.." I barely managed as my throat squoze around the words.

"Please tell me where you are? Matt's so worried.." His words were more soft than I'd ever heard from him. "I'm really worried about you, Jaclyn."

I took a deep breath and tried to steady it out "I'm at the lighthouse at Cape Florida.. Zack... I can't do this." I whispered "I can't get my mind past what's happening. What do I do?"

And it began. The rambling, the crying, the hyperventalating "Please slow down," Zack begged "I can't understanad you-"

"I don't even understand me.. Why did I do this? Why did I do any of this?" I waved my hands around the air as if Zack could see me. "Why aren't you even here? Why aren't you here to eat M and M's with me and watch movies and help me?"

*ZACK'S POV*

"And watch movies with me, and help me?" Her words broke as she cried into what I was guessing was her hands or some object. My heart broke. "Why did I let him down? Why couldn't I have been stronger? Why did I leave California? Why have I, once again, ruined everything, Zack? Why? Why am I an actual fuck up?.." She paused and sniffled "Why did I make it?"

"Don't say that-"

"I have to." She whispered and my heart sank "Zack I should never have left... I.. I.. I want to come home, I want to come home and pretend none of this ever happened. I want to forget it all. Please.." She was beggin "Please let me forget it... Why can't I fix it?!" She screamed "Why for one in my god damned life can't I fix it? Zack... Help me.." She whispered, her voice breaking, "I can't do this any more. I can't live. I just can't live like this. I broke Matt again, I don't want to break Maddy... I can't do this to her. I can't have this baby knowing what made it, what happened for it to be here. I can't live with that pain, I can't live watching that pain on Matt's shoulders... But I don't want to leave them.. I love them too much-"

"You need to talk to Matt, Jackie that's all you can do." I watched as Brian texted Matt where she was, he looked up at me.

"He's on his way, Deren took Maddy." He looked back at the phone in my hands and shook his head, taking a seat next to a very concerned Jimmy and Michelle. I had known for a litte while, of course she told me. I was the one she called on the ride home and talked her out of driving off a bridge.

"I just don't want to hurt anyone, Zack... I don't." Her words faded "I just want to be home, in California, sitting on the couch drinking wine, watching TV, with Aaron-" Her breathing stopped.

"Jackie.." I sighed "That wasn't healthy."

"I wouldn't be here right now." She whispered "I wouldn't be fucking pregnant with some guys kid who raped me-"

"Do you know it's his?" I asked "Like... Have you taken a test to see if it's his or Matt's? I mean..." I paused, cringing "I don't want to really know, but... Like... If you and Matt aren't... y'know, wrapping it or whatever, then there's a possibility.." I tried not actually using the term 'protection'. This wasn't middle school.

"I never... I never thought of that.. can I do that before it's born?" She asked.

"I don't know.." I mumbled, watching as Brian's phone rang.

"He's there." He read the text out loud.

"You should check it though, Jackie... before you do anything." I listened as I heard her move.

"Oh... Oh I need to go." She mumbled "Brian must have text Matt, because he's walking down the beach." I could hear the annoyance in her voice.

"Please just call me if you have any big decisions ok? I want to help."

"I will, Zack. Love you." She answered back "Bye."

"Bye sis."

I hung up and looked around at everyone "I.. I don't even know what's going to happen right now." I sighed and sat down "I just wish they were closer... I hate this happening so far away.. All I wanted to do the whole time was hold her and let her cry.."

"It'll be ok man." Brian stared at the floor "They'll figure it out."

"It only took two years to figure the Maddy situation out." Jimmy look at us all and threw his hands up "Just saying. They need to think more family oriented areas, not Miami. This shit happens in Miami. They need culdesak, domestic life. They just need to settle down." He shrugged "That's honestly the answer."

"If they dodge this bullet." Michelle tucked her knees under her chin "Fuck."
♠ ♠ ♠
That chapter took me since I last posted to finish. It ripped and tore at me because this topic kills me...

xxx