Status: Slow But Sure

I'm Adopted: Vengeance Edition.

30

There's only so many tears you can cry before it drains all the life right from your eyes.

*Zack's POV*

Matt took things way too seriously sometimes. By space... he went MIA for the weekend. Ok, so he'd call a few times to check on Jackie, but whenever I'd want to hand her the phone (if she was taking a break from studying), he'd say no and hang up. He was seriously messed up sometimes. I think he was finally getting worried about the baby..

Every time Mom, Dad, or I would go up to check on Jackie she'd either have her nose pinned into a text book, or her eyes glued to the computer screen. Letting information soak into her brain like a sponge. She would eat dinner reciting chemical equations, algebra solutions, and correct grammar. If you made one wrong move, she was on your ass correcting you. If you said 'ain't' she would smack you and tell you that it wasn't even a word and isn't was proper.

Michelle said her brain had been abducted by aliens.

Jackie had left this morning to go to the tutor's house for testing. It was a full-day event, from seven AM and she'd be home at six. She studied so hard we had no doubt she'd do good. But when she got home that night, Mom had driven her there and home, I couldn't tell whether it was good or bad from her expression.

"So..." I mumbled at dinner "How did it go?"

"Eh." She mumbled back, sticking a forkfull of spaghetti into her mouth "We got our scores though... Mrs. Jacobs scored them right there, it was so weird compared to normal school."

"Yeah that is." Dad nodded "So how'd you score hun?"

She was silent "I got a ninety-four on Math." Her smile began showing "A ninety even on Social Science, an eighty-seven on Spelling," Her smile faultered "A ninety-five on Science, and a ninety-nine on Language... there was another one though, I know that... Oh, reading, I got a ninety-one." She smiled and slid a cardstock paper over the table to me "Seeeeee? I'm smart... all that studying paid off." She smiled wide "I just have to study men now, so I know how to apologize to Matt... I think he got pissed at me on Thursday when I told him to go away. I haven't seen him since." She looked aorund.

"No, I told him to give you space that you needed to concentrate. So... it's my fault he's AWOL."

She began laughing "I'll call him later." She waved it off as Mom and Dad oogled over her scores.

"So... you graduated?" I asked.

"Somewhat. I just have the ceremony now and WHOOP I'm done." She giggled.

~*~*~

*Jackie's POV*

Testing was weird. I was just glad with my scores. At least I didn't fail. Now... to call Matt and apologize. I had a feeling it was going to be easier than I thought, but then again I could be wrong.

I laid flat on my back on my bed, waiting for the ringing on the phone to either stop and hit voicemail, or Matt's voice.

"Hey, can't come to the phone, leave a message and I'll get back to you later. Bye."

I sighed "Hey Matt, it's me. Sorry about Thursday, just wanted to say sorry about that... Anyways, I bet you're busy so I'll stop talking. Bye." I hung up and smacked my head against the pillow "That was the worst message ever." I mumbled to myself. I waited, waited, and waited even more.

"Jackie? Jaaackkiieee?"

I rolled over and smacked whoever was sitting next to me, "Go away. Baby mommy tired." I mumbled and covered up my stomach as my tshirt rose up.

"Jackie, wake up." It was Zack, and he started shaking me.

"Go away." I mumbled and pushed him "GOOOO away... Far. FAR away." I sat up groggily "What time is it?" I asked, but moved away as I noticed the anger written on Zack's face "Whoah, dude, what's wrong?" I managed a nervous laugh as he rung his hands together "Really? What'd I do now?"

"It's not you." He looked around and I heard yelling downstairs "We're going over Brian's for the night..."

"Why? What's going on?" I asked, standing up as Zack began going through my things "Zack! Stop and tell me what's going on!" I grabbed his arm as the voices got closer. I recognized one, but it sounded off "Why... is... Matt?" I asked, looking at Zack as he nodded "What's wrong with that?"

"He's..." Zack pinched the bridge of his nose and closed his eyes, taking a deep breath and blowing it out hard "Hammered." He opened his eyes and looked at me "And angry about something to do with you. I don't even know what it is but we should really be going."

I listened as Dad tried to reason with Matt, but Matt just kept yelling. I felt tears in my eyes and grabbed some pajamas "Is Brian ok with this?" I asked.

"Yeah, I called him as soon as Matt showed up." He mumbled under his breath, taking random clothes from my drawers and putting them into a bag "We're getting you out of here, he won't think of checking there."

"Why is he so mad? What happened?" I asked.

"Something about Val again." Zack shrugged "I knew you two was a horrible idea. They have enough drama between the two of them, adding another girl, now pregnant, was a bad choice on Matt's half. You just need to think about you and the baby, don't worry about him, he'll be fine."

"What happened with Val?" I grabbed Zack's arm as he walked for the door "Did he... again?" I asked.

"Yeah, and he's drunk enough to think that because he's cheating, so are you." Zack bit his lip "Come on, Michelle's waiting."

I shook his hand from my arm "I'm not letting Matt rip me from here. This is my home, where I live. He can get his stupid drunk ass out of here." I crossed my arms over my chest "If he wants to accuse me of cheating, let him. He knows I wouldn't. At least the sober Matt knows that."

"You're such a moron, come on!" Zack grabbed at my arm as Mom ran in "Mom! Get her to move, she's not coming."

"Hun, he's really angry and dilusional." Mom sighed "It's in the best interest for you and the baby to-"

"NO!" I shouted "I'm not leaving because he's crazy! He can see I'm not cheating, he knows I wouldn't. He can have Val, he can have all of her. I've had enough of him. I'm not stressing myself. I graduated, I'm having a baby soon, I don't need a boyfriend." I stood my ground as I heard Matt's angry footsteps coming up the stairs.

"Here we go." Zack stood next to me "Don't cry."

"I won't." I whispered as Zack gave my hand a gentle squeeze.
♠ ♠ ♠
So today I took the day off from school, and the afternoon is ALL mine! MUAHAHAH! Y'know what that means???? I get to update lots :)

xoxox commeennttss? Jb