Status: Slow But Sure

I'm Adopted: Vengeance Edition.

43

*Matt's POV*

"Dude, it's been almost an hour, we should head back to get her." I looked at my cellphone as Zack and I sat in the coffee shop. It was small, and no one was really around, so we decided to chill. Plus, it was only down the street from the office where Jackie was.

"Yeah, I guess we should." Zack stood up just as a cop car sped by. I looked down the road as it pulled into the parking lot of the office.

"Oh fuck." I mumbled "I hope everythings ok, and she didn't, like, faint." I threw my cup away and walked out the door, Zack behind me.

A few minutes later we arrived at the building, which was surrounded by yellow tape and police cars.

"What's going on?" I asked a cop who was standing guard at one of the Authorized Personell Only entrances to the thirty foor perimiter around the building.

"The building seems to be in lockdown, and the receptionist is telling us there's two people inside... " He pointed to the blonde haired girl that had been at the front desk. I gulped down and looked around. I saw all the other workers, not Dr. Alex, and not Jackie.

"Do you know who's inside?" I asked as my heart started pounding, praying she was just hidden by officers.

"The doctor and a patient, but we can't-"

"That's him, that's him!" The receptionst pointed at Zack and ran over.

"Sir, are you Zachary James Baker?" He asked.

"Yeah, that's me." Zack took a breath and I could see his eyes get nervous.

"Are you Jaclyn Baker's brother?" He asked. Zack nodded slowly "Can we have a few words with you?"

"Only if he can come, this is her fiance." Zack tugged at my sleeve "Where is she, anyways?" He asked.

The receptionist looked at me and her eyes started dripping tears "He... He... The entire building is encased in metal, he's..." She paused as a police officer walked over as we walked a few feet behind the tape line.

"We've confirmed the hostage inside is Miss Baker."

My entire world stopped. News crews arrived, cameras flashed, people talked frantically, but everything seemed to slow down as I looked up at the building, thick metal sheets on the windows.

~*~*~

*Jackie's POV*

"What do you want with me? What did I ever do to you?" I asked as I sat on the couch in the building, Alex paced the floor with his clipboard in hand. I had to push the thoughts of Maddy out of my head, I could only think of right now, not what would happen if I was stuck in here for longer than a day. She'd freak out, she hated being away from me or Matt for even hours now that she was old enough to comprehend Mom and Dad...

"I want someone to understand me." He paced the floor faster now "No one ever understood me, no one. You," He pointed at me "You seemed willing to understand, you seemed like a nice enough person to listen to me." He stopped and looked at me "But you wouldn't have, because you had him. So I had all of this made so that when I met that person in here, when I could get someone in here that seemed good enough to listen, that I could shut us in forever, for years, to be happy." He paused and my heart beat seemed to stop.

"Forever?" I asked "Listen, Alex, I'll listen to you. We can go get some coffee, I'll be your friend, but I have a baby... I need to go home, Alex."

"You won't be my friend, once you get out there... you'll run back to him, you'll cry and tell them I'm a maniac. That I'm the crazy one."

Right now that's what I was planning on doing, and somehow he was completely right. I would. I would want him locked up tight. But for now I'd have to show him that I could listen.

"Ok." I nodded "I'm listening, Alex."

He laughed "Not so fast, you aren't getting out that easily." He sat down at a desk across from me "We have some tests to run." He reached into a drawer and pulled out a black box with mesh on the top "How much do you hate spiders?" He asked with an evil smile.

"Why?" I asked carefully "Why are you doing this?" He stood up and walked over "I never hurt you."

"But everyone else did, and this will get their attention. This will show them that if they had all just listened to me in the first place nothing bad would have had to happen!" He shouted and pulled my wrist. I struggled but his eyes met mine and sent fear down my spine. I loostened up and followed him out the office door and down the hall, there were floodlights everywhere, and all the windows had thick metal on them. I could see through a screw hole, where some builder had forgotten a screw, down to the parking lot where police were lined up like football players on a field. I could see news crews, and I could somewhat hear screaming.

"Come on!" Alex shouted and pulled me into a dark room, it was small, when I stood in it, I only had a few feet backwards and to the side to move until I hit the walls. It was completely black, with no windows.

"What is this?" I asked.

"You'll see." He shoved me backwards and shut the door. All the questions he had asked me earlier were ringing in my ears.

The dark.

"It's fine if Matt's there." Matt wasn't here. And my body knew it, my skin began to crawl and my heart began pounding. But then I started feeling things crawling on me. I brushed at my skin and pressed myself against a wall as my feet began itching with nerve feeling.

Spiders.

I pressed myself hard against the wall and started screaming. I had seen a window in the room beside this, on this same wall, actually quite close to the wall. I was hoping that maybe the sound would carry and they could blow the wall up or something... just get me the fuck out of here.

~*~*~

*Matt's POV*

"What if he's hurting her?" I followed a certain cop around as he talked on his walkietalkie "What if he's... LISTEN TO ME!" I shouted and forcefully turned him around "My fiance's in that building, possibly dead, or being killed, or... raped, I don't want to think about it, but she's fucking in there with some creep. What can you do to get her out?" I asked.

He stared at me "We're doing everything we can, sir. You're just going to have to be patient. There's a foot thick metal wall on every door in there, and a metal pannel on each window, backed up by even more metal, and we're trying our best shy of blowing up the building." He turned away from me and walked away.

I ran my hands over my face and collapsed next to a cruiser, listening to the sirens and people all around me. I could hear Zack and his parents sobbing to my left, Brian consoling Michelle, and I could hear someone else screaming. I looked up and my eyes focused on a window.

"Shh!" I shouted, a few cops looked at me "Everyone be quiet!" I shouted again. A few people quieted down. "Seriously! SHUT THE FUCK UP!" I shouted louder and it almost got completely silent. I walked towards the building and listened "Can someone get me up there?" I pointed up to the window "Is there a crane or something?" I asked, my ears tuning into the noise I knew, the voice I knew.

"Someone get a fucking crane!" Zack shouted at a construction worker infront of him. The guy looked at a cop, the cop shrugged, and he walked off to a truck.

"We'll see how high we can safely go-"

"I don't care about my own safety. Get me a crane, a harness tie-"

"We can only tie one harness onto the crane, or else two people can get tangled. And whoever isn't in the harness has a high risk of falling off and, from that hight, dying." The construction worker looked at me "It isn't a good idea."

"Get a harness, a crane, and get me the fuck up there with a chainsaw. Stat." I walked towards the building and laid my ear against the side. I could hear someone hitting the wall, it seemed faint, and I knew it must be high up. I looked up and tuned everyone out, everyone but her. Everyone but Jackie. Screaming her lungs out.

My eyes watered and tears pooled down my face as her screames, muffled by the walls, were desperate, like someone was torturing her. I was going to kill that fucking Doctor as soon as his sorry ass walked out that door.
♠ ♠ ♠
But is it going to be that easy?