Status: Slow But Sure

I'm Adopted: Vengeance Edition.

50

*Jackie's POV*

"We have two months before we leave." Zack announced that night at dinner, Maddy was sitting on my lap drinking her bottle.

"Oh really?" Mom asked "That's... exciting."

"Don't lie, Mom." Zack rolled his eyes as she sighed "Why are the women in this house so against this?"

Mom shot me a confused look "You're my son, of course I'm going to be worried. And Jackie's probably just emotional about you and Matt both leaving at the same time." She smiled as I nodded, but Zack knew I was lying to keep her at bay.

"Yeah, exactly." I smiled at Zack. But the small moment of normalcy was interrupted by Maddy crying. I looked down at her and studied her face, as if she'd yell what was bothering her "I'll take her upstairs." I mumbled and stood up, walking out the door, leaving everyone to finish dinner together.

I walked towards my room and sighed, "Madeline Anne Baker." I huffed and kissed her cheek as she continued crying, her small cheeks drenched with tears "What's the matter, Maddy?" Nothing but cries. I laid her on my bed and began undressing her, checking her diaper to make sure nothing was poking her "You aren't hungry." I mumbled as she shoved her bottle away from her face. I checked her temp, she was fine, no fever or anything. Nothing was stabbing her in her clothes... But she kept crying. I sighed and laid down next to her, pressing my face to the side of her face "It'd be silly to think you were just as worried about this as me, wouldn't it?" I asked softly, kissing her cheek. Her cries quieted down and she reached out infront of her, to the ceiling. I sighed "You aren't old enough to understand." I whispered and pulled her close as she closed her eyes, yawning. I laughed.

I sat up and re-dressed Maddy, holding her in my arms and rocking her to sleep. About an hour and a half later there was a knock on my bedroom door.

"Yah?" I asked quietly. Zack peeked his head in and smiled at Maddy and I "She just wanted to get away from the crazy." I laughed and waved him in.

"Matt called." He kept his green eyes, almost like looking into a mirror, glued on Maddy "He uhm... wanted to know if you were ok. With all of this."

"He could have just called me and asked." I held Maddy tighter, my mind wandering to the furure. Things I didn't even know, things that probably would never happen, things I shouldn't be thinking about "The last time-"

"Don't go there." Zack glared at me "Don't even say it. You know Karma likes to bite your ass." He laughed and got up "Call him?"

"Sure." I Shrugged, thinking of all the places they'd be, while Maddy and I were home, while she was growing up. While her father was acting like a child and her mother was worrying about him and who he was with.

Zack nodded and walked out of the room, leaving me to call Matt. I wasn't going to. He knew how I felt, I could bet you ten thousand dollars Zack told him. And I would only get un-neededly mad at Matt right now, for things he hasn't even done yet.

~*~*~

*Matt's POV*

There was something off as I walked back into my house, the buzz of alcohol still fresh in my veins from the hours spent at my favorite bar tonight. I turned the lights on and threw my jacket into the closet, glancing around and noticing the kitchen light on. I shrugged, I could have easily left it on.

"Hello?" Stupidly, I called out as I walked in.

"Hey."

I jumped back, not expecting a response. Her blonde hair swung into her eyes as she turned, brushing it from her face and smiling wide "What are you doing here?" I asked, sitting down at the island counter, wondering how exactly I got home.

"I figured you could use someone to celebrate with, a worldwide tour... wow." She handed me a drink, one in her own hand "Cheers?"

I skeptically looked down at the glass on the table, looked up at her and laughed "Val, I'm not that stupid."

She rolled her eyes, handed me a rock glass, and a sealed bottle of Jack Daniels from my cabinet. "Fine, pour yourself a glass. If you don't trust me."

I nodded and filled the glass up, hoisting it in the air to her's "Cheers."

"To you guys acheiving the amazing." She smiled and we downed our drinks. She filled them up again. I shook my head and tried to think straight.

"Val, you really shouldn't be here." I mumbled "It's... not a good idea."

"Why not? Can't friends celebrate together? I mean... Jackie's not even happy for you, I figured you needed someone to help you celebrate." She smiled "And I'm here, here for you Matt. I always have been. She's a selfish bitch, wanting you to stay home and settle down when your career is just taking off."

As she was talking, Val had made her way around the counter and behind me, placing her hands on my shoulders. I immediatly tensed under her touch "Val-"

"Don't worry, I'm not going to hurt you." She laughed and back off, taking a seat next to me "I'm just really happy for you, and I knew none of the other guys would let me celebrate with them... and I knew you'd be alone."

"How'd you know?" I asked.

She shrugged "I don't know, I just guessed... A good guess." She laughed and placed her hand ontop of mine, staring me in the eyes "I'm more than happy for you, Matt. I'm proud of you. Do you know that? And I miss you... a lot. Nothing's been the same without you..." She looked down then back up at me, moving a little closer as I took another drink of Jack "I don't understand why we didn't work. All I did was protect our relationship." She wiped at her eyes. I felt a feeling of pitty rise in my stomach and leaned forward, wiping her cheeks as tears fell down. She looked up at me and smiled slightly "I miss us..."

She leaned forwards more and pressed her lips against mine, my heart pounded and my mind raced. Half of me was asking what the fuck is going on, what are you doing you idiot?! and the other half was asking what was so bad about one night. I pulled away and took another drink of Jack, then leaned back in and pulled her closer.

"I just-.." She paused and moved closer, so she was sitting on my lap as I unbuttoned her shirt "Want you one last time..." She whispered and pulled my shirt over my head, parting our lips for just a moment.

In the back of my mind I could tell something bad was going to happen, that I was in for something beyond measure of payback... I just didn't know, nor at the time did I care, what it was...
♠ ♠ ♠
Ohhh fuckit!!