Status: Slow But Sure

I'm Adopted: Vengeance Edition.

59

There's something in your eyes, a part of me that I recognize.
I wanna let you know, we'd be there if we could and it's alright.
Taught me how to feel.
It's no wonder I'd do anything,
Tell me why'd you have to go?
With the worst to come lost the best I know.
Time, seems like we lost it all.


*Jackie's POV*

"But I'm leaving in the morning, Kara. This doesn't seem like the best idea." I laughed as she mixed up a cocktail of things.

"Come on, you really want to leave on a boring note? Maddys at Janet's... I'll see all the alarms in the house so you'll be up. Believe me. Now, let's have one last big one before you leave for M.I.A." She smiled and tipped a jar up, pulled liquid into the needle, and handed it to me.

"What was that stuff?" I asked.

"Something I got from Aaron, at the party the other night. Remember?" She asked, I shrugged.

"Slightly." I laughed "The past few weeks have really been a blur."

"It's good stuff, I've used it before. It's great. Not in this... mixture, but I've never had a problem with this mix before, so what's adding a little to it?" She smiled and stuck the needle in her arm "Come on girl, don't let me have all the fun." She laughed.

I pressed the metal into my arm, getting used to the feeling now after a few weeks, and pushed all the drug into my body. Immediatly I felt light headed. I looked over at Kara and she was spinning "Kara..."

"It's fine, just ride it out." She laughed "Isn't this amazing?" She laughed and stood up, falling over onto the floor.

I felt my stomach turn as blackness clouded my vision, I could feel my body slowing down "Kara..." I mumbled again, struggling to find the air to breathe.

~*~*~

*Matt's POV*

"Her plane was supposed to land an hour ago." Zack paced the airport "It's not even delayed or cancelled. It fucking landed an hour ago, Matt." He grabbed his phone from his pocket and pressed a button, placing it to his ear "Hey! WAKE UP! YOU MISSED YOUR FUCKING FLIGHT?!?!" He shouted, for a second my heart sped up, thinking he was talking to her "When you get up, call me sis." He hung up and turned to Brian and I "Call her. Now."

There was a solid hour block where we were calling her house non-stop, her cell phone non-stop, then Zack decided to call his parents, since mine had Maddy.

"Hey, Mom? Yah... can you go over to Jackie's appartment and see if she's home? She isn't answering her phone... She was supposed to land two hours ago, and she still isn't here... ok thanks so much, call me when you get there or find out where she is." He hung up and ran his hands through his hair.

"I'm worried." Brian mumbled "Don't we have a week off anyways?" He asked.

"Yah." Zack looked up at him.

"Why don't we just fly home? Jim and Johnny can catch a flight back, or stay here." He shrugged as I nodded.

"Sounds good to me." I smiled and walked over to the ticket counter "Three to LA please, the next flight out."

"We only have first class." She shrugged.

"No problem, I'll take anything to get there." I handed her my credit card. Anything to make sure Jackie was ok.

No luggage, no anything but our wallets and sunglasses, we boarded the next plane to LAX. Zack cursed under his breath when the flight attendants told us to shut our cell phones off.

"Load of bullshit." Zack mumbled as he powered his down "Well, we'll find out when we get home." He shrugged "Three hour flight, not bad."

"Let's just hope your mom knows where the spare key to the appartment is... Oh my god." I put my hands on my face "If she isnt' answering, what if my parents don't have Maddy? What if...-" I paused.

"You think of this NOW Sherlock?" Zack asked "NOW?!" He asked.

"Didn't they pick her up last night?" Brian asked "So they wouldn't have to wake her up so early?"

Zack and I let out breaths "So Maddy's ok..." I mumbled "Now to find out if Jackie's home."

~*~

"Please exit to your left." The flight attendant smiled at us as we deboarded the plane.

"Ok, we need a taxi, STAT. And do you guys remember her address?" Zack asked.

"Duh." I nodded as he grabbed a taxi outside. I climbed in and gave him the address, it was only about five minutes away from my place, about forty-five minutes away from LA. We'd be there soon.

"Try calling her again." Zack looked at me "I can't bring myself to it." He mumbled, listening to a voicemail from his mom.

"Hey, it's Jackie. Leave a message!"

"Nothing." I hung up as he groaned "What?"

"They're locked out and there's no answer." He hung his phone up and looked at the cabbie "I'll give you five hundred bucks to speed."

The guy nodded and floored it so that we arrived in about ten minutes. Zack handed him the fare and five hundred extra.

"The fact you carry around more than five hundred with you is rediculous." Brian rolled his eyes as I sprinted for the stair well. I saw Mr. and Mrs. Baker outside her door and immediatly ran up, taking the key from behind the number plate and opening the door.

"Jacki-" I choked on air as smoke filled my lungs. I looked around and noticed candles burning out on the coffee table. I coughed and walked over, licking my fingers, and putting them all the way out. I opened a window quick as everyone else walked in.

"Matt." Zack said slowly, looking at the coffee table. There were bottles. I picked one up and looked it over.

"She... It's... Heroin." I looked at Zack as his eyebrows furrowed.

"JACKIE!" He shouted and began to the kitchen. My eyes drifted to the couch.

"ZACK!" I shouted, how we missed her was beyond me. I jumped the table and knelt down, holding her hand tight "Zack! CALL AN AMBULANCE! NOW!" I Shouted as Mr. Baker held Mrs. Baker in a hug. Tears swelled my eyes as I took in all the injection scars on her arms.

Zack was on the phone in an instant, calling 9-1-1. He saw her and choked up, but managed to finish the call. I looked around at all the other bottles. Some were things I'd never heard of, some were things I'd heard through the grapevine from people who'd shot up before. I sighed "Why?" I asked quietly, checking for a pulse. It was faint, barely there.

I heard sirens and Zack ran to the hallway "UP HERE!" He shouted as they stormed in. Jackie's body was limp as I handed her to an EMT.

"IS she going to be ok?" Mrs. Baker asked as they checked her over, quickly rushing her out the door. Zack was next to me and I could hear him crying, over my own sobs that is.

"Maddy." I Whispered, not even listening to the conclusion from the medic. I ran down the hallway and checked her crib, she was gone, along with her over-night-bag. Mom and Dad had her, right, I knew that.

"Matt! COME ON!" Brian shouted, having been standing in the background the whole time. I ran down the hall and into the living room, "We're going to the hospital."

"Who's going in the ambulance?" A medic looked us over. The Baker's shook their heads.

"I can't..." Maria sniffled as James walked her out to the car.

"I will." I raised my hand and followed him out, making arrangements for Zack to inform everyone else and get them home STAT.
♠ ♠ ♠
Well.... I wanna know, in comments, who saw that coming, and I wanna know what y'all thought, if not this, what was gunna happen! I wanna hear your thoughts on this, hate it, don't love it but don't exactly hate it, or downright want to rip my skin off and watch it burn O_O ok graphic haha.

I like hearing oppinions, and I seriously value each one. Just because I didn't go the way you thought, or if you give me an oppinion but the story doesn't go that way (or happens to go someone elses opiinon) doesn't mean I didn't 'like' your's or something, I just have this planned and sobeit that someone had the same mindset after reading this that I did :)

I'll write the next chapted... tomorrow. It's really late and I'm beat from school this week. FOUR DAY WEEKEND BABY!!! Ok, I'll be around soon :)

Remember, comments, oppinions, anything :)

xoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxo Jbizzle