Status: Slow But Sure

I'm Adopted: Vengeance Edition.

60

*Matt's POV*

"Is she alive? Is she going to be ok?" I asked frantically as the ambulance sped down the highway.

"Her pulse is slow, 35 over 60. Dropping.." A woman medic grabbed a needle and held Jackie's arms.

Something she'd cearly be alright with, since the events over the past few days. I cringed as she shot the needle into her arm "We need adrenaline, she's dropping fast."

I looked as the woman pulled a large needle, seriously like a horse needle, from a cabinet "What's tha-" I covered my mouth as she ripped Jackie's shirt and pounded it into her chest, one swift 'thunk' and she shot the liquid into her "Three, Two-"

Jackie's eyes snapped open, her breathing unsteady, her eyes darting everywhere. "We have 55 over 60," The woman shouted out as Jackie looked around, her eyes met mine and went wide.

"Matt, I-... I.." She searched for words before her head fell back down.

"Forty over sixty!" A man shouted as the ambulance stopped. They all ran out, took the gurney, and entered the hospital.

"Sir... sir, please come on." A woman held her hand to me. I blinked a few times and nodded, following her into the large brick building. There was fuss going on as I watched them take Jackie behind two swinging doors.

My heart sunk "You can wait in the waiting room. We need to... well... save her." The woman looked to the floor and walked away.

It was all slipping through my hands, and this time a ring wouldn't fix it...

~*~*~*~

*Jackie's POV*

There were... people. All around, loud noises. Everything was so bright. All I could hear were monitors, shouts, numbers being told back and forth. Then I heard a gasp, and it felt like I drank seven hundred espressos. My eyes shot open and I looked around, seeing unfamiliar face after unfamiliar face, then I saw Matt's worried eyes set on me.

"Matt, I-... I..." Then everything went black again.

It was so dark, my skin felt so cold. I was all alone, walking.... somewhere. I heard about people overdosing, then coming back to life. Everyone joked about the light, but for me, there was nothing. It was pitch black. I could feel the air getting colder and colder as I walked, not able to stop my feet even if I wanted.

Suddenly, I heard music. It was Matt's voice, soft, low, I could hear tears behind it.

"Staring at the carnage, praying that the sun will never rise. Living another day in disguise. These feelings can't be right. Lend me your courage to stand up and fght. Ohhh. Tonight. Mmmmm. Stand up and fight...."

Then everything was silent. The first thing I could feel was my arms, aching like someone had run them over with a fuckin tractor.

"My fighting rages on and on. To challenge me you must be strong. I walk your land but dont belong. Two million soldiers can't be wrong. It's no fun when I've been here before, I fought at homeand I fight in your war."

I recognized the song, it was MIA. Another new one. I wanted to smile, the words he kept singing were making me miss him.

"Unless I don't return tonight." It was soft, carefull, all his words were painfull to hear.

Then I felt my legs, I kicked and heard him stop. I kicked against something and fought to open my eyes, he kept singing softly and I blinked, taking a glimpse of his face.

"Matt..." I choked, my throat dry. I heard something fall, crash, sound like it broke, and opened my eyes wide. I sat up quickly, not caring that everything hurt "Matt!" I shouted as fire, blood, and people crying flashed infront of my eyes. I opened my arms just in time as he pulled me forwards.

"It's ok." He whispered as I laid back down. I looked down at my body and noticed I was hooked up to an Oxygen machine. I heard heart monitors skyrocket, beeping increase. Nurses ran in, worry written all over their faces. I pressed my hand over my heart as it sped up, to the feeling like it was about to beat right out of my chest. A nurse grabbed a needle and shoved it into my arm.

"No... no no!" I shouted sleepily, biting my lip as my eyes felt like shutting "Don't do this!" I cried, feeling tears rolling off my eyelids as Matt turned his face away from my arms. I got a quick look at the scars left over from the past few weeks. I felt guilt rise in my stomach as my head hit the pillow, my eyes not closing. I kept them trained at Matt, watching the silent tears roll off his cheeks, down his jawline, and onto his neck. I closed my eyes, just to hear his voice again.

"I walk the city lonely, memories that arent all passing by. A murderer walks your streets tonight. Forgive me for my crimes. Don't forget that I was so young. But so scared, it will never go like a dream."

I watched his lips as they shifted, holding the small sound of a sob. I moved my hand, slowly but effectively, and rested it on his arm. He turned slowly, his brown eyes leaking as he stared at me. He wiped at them with the back of his hand.

"Why?" He asked quietly.

I shook my head and watched a doctor walk in. He smiled at someone to my left, and I turned, noticing for the first time that Dad, Zack, Brian, and a very upset looking Michelle were all in the room.

The doctor pulled up a chair next to me "Do you understand that possesion of Heroin is a crime?"

"It wasn't mine." I answered roughly, my voice tired.

He nodded and began asking me things "Can you tell me your name?"

"Jaclyn Baker." I felt the heat move from me as Matt moved off the bed to a chair.

"What is today's date."

I bit my lip "It should be October 31st." I took a sharp breath. That's why they were here. It hadn't hit me yet, but now it was a load of bricks. They flew back because I missed my flight?

"Can you name, in order from left to right, the people sitting on this side of the room?" He pointed to the left.

"James Baker, Zachary Baker, Brian Haner, Michelle DiBenedetto, and Matt Sanders." I looked at the doctor as he nodded.

"You overdosed, and passed out, you need to understand that you are severly lucky that you didn't... well... die. There were severe drugs in your system, things I've never seen someone inject. Since you claim they weren't your's, I suggest you tell me who supplied you with them, or else you face criminal charges." He readied a pen. I bit my lip "Miss Baker?" He asked.

"Kara Westley." I looked down at the sheets as Zack stood up. I looked up at him and watched his skin go from pale, to red with anger. I felt something inside telling me I was a moron, and that the consequences of this were far worse than dying from it would have been...

"Is there any more information you can give us on Ms. Westley? There's an investigation going on because the substances in use were extremely, more so than the drugs regularly, illegal."

"Yes." I nodded.

"I'll have an officer come in later to talk with you. I'll let you get some rest and talk to your family for a while." He nodded and stood up, walking out of the room.

I kept my eyes on the white sheets, then to the bandages on my wrists.

"They had to inject the IV into your wrists earlier because there was too much scarring on your arms." Zack crossed his arms and sat down on the bed.

"Zack, I'm so sorr-"

"Don't give me sorry. I want answers. Why? How could you?" He asked, shaking his head "None of this makes sense.."

"To you." I looked up at him, making eye contact with the eyes that once looked so much like mine, but now were brighter, more lively than my own.

"What was so wrong?" He asked quietly.

"Everything. I thought that... maybe this would make me forget that I wasn't the happiest person ever. It took my mind off of being a mother." I glanced at Matt "Because I don't really think I was ready for this. At all."

Zack took a breath and grabbed my hand "You're a great mother-"

"I'm not questoining that. I'm saying I want to be nineteen, I want to live, Zack. I want to go to concerts... I want to go out with my friends. I don't want to have to be home all day everyday with a baby." I laughed a little "I love her, so much... but some days I look at her and wonder... what if? How different would things be if this wasn't? Would Matt and I get along better? Would we not be fighting? Would we have a healthy relationship?" I let out a laugh as everyone stared at me "I don't want to sound selfish, but I don't want to be a mother any more."

A sigh resonated around the room as Matt stood up "I can't believe I'm hearing this." He laughed.

"What? The truth? How I actually feel about this finally?" I asked "Or is Maddy the only reason we're together?" I asked as he stopped, looking at me.

"What's that supposed to mean?" He asked.

"If I hadn't had Maddy, would you have stayed with Val?" I asked.

"Don't even... don't even bring her up, Jackie. She's the past." He took Zack's spot on the bed as I moved away from him.

I nodded. Maybe it was time to grow up. Put things in the past. Move on with life.

"I need time to think." I mumbled as Matt scooted so he was sitting up by me. His arm moved around my shoulder as everyone took the hint and filtered from the room. Michelle gave me a hug before leaving, tears in her eyes.

"You need to screw your head on straight, babe." Matt kissed the side of my face "I was so scared when you weren't answering your phone."

"I don't know what I was thinking." I whispered as he rubbed my arms "I felt like... like this," I pointed at my arms "Would make everything better, like it'd erase all the bad stuff.."

"You should have known better." He kissed my cheek again.

There was silence, a good thirty minutes, just us sitting there, together. Bodies joined at the side, until Matt decided to speak.

"We aren't going back on tour." He kept his hand over mine.

"Who decided that?" I laughed a little.

"Me. Unless you decide to come with me." He moved so he was looking at me.

"Maddy-"

"My parents can watch her." He took a deep breath and thought about something "I understand the pressure on you, and I don't want you to feel...."

"Pressured." I laughed as he nodded.

"To grow up faster than you're ready for. I know what it feels like, having a kid before you're ready for one... but we do, and we need to intergrate her with every aspect of our lives. That doesn't mean we can't go have fun every now and then."

"But you're gone now, touring, and I have to watch her by myself." I mumbled.

"Like I said, you can come with us for a month or two, and Maddy's old enough to stay with Mom and Dad. I'm positive they won't mind... or Mich, or even-"

"Matt?" I asked quietly.

"Yeah?" He stopped and looked at me.

"I know someone who'd absolutely love to watch her..." I smiled as he looked at me. The names the same on each of our minds. He leaned forwards and pressed his lips to mine, a mutual understanding that we were both still kids, him clearly older, but... we both weren't exactly ready. But not willing to give our baby up.

"I trust you." He whispered "If you think it's right."

"I do." I whispered back as the door opened and an officer walked in.

"Miss Baker, are you ready?" He asked as I nodded.
♠ ♠ ♠
OK! So.... she's alive :) Good stuff lol. Well I'm goping to bed. I've had a long week, I might write another one this weekend, or two or three, but they won't be posted for a bit. It's Labor Day weekend, and we have a few... things, to attend to.

Stuff I can't say on here, but anywhooo... lol. It's kinda like, not fun to talk about. Let's just say I won't be listenig to any war songs any time soon :(:( Like Gunslinger, or even MIA or Dear God :( They're already starting to make me cry... Now I have to kill you all ;D LOL jk.

comment/rate/subscribe

xoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxo Jbizz