Status: Slow But Sure

I'm Adopted: Vengeance Edition.

61

*Jackie's POV*

They have the nerve to tell you how to feel.

It was like... Jail. Yeah, pretty much jail. Or hell, but... with the people I loved most, the ones I trusted, being complete psychos... Ok, so Hell.

"Where do you think you're going?"

I turned as Zack placed his hands on his hips, staring at me with a set jaw. I rolled my eyes "Za-"

"Don't roll your eyes at me, and don't Zack me. I have the right, and while Matt's out, the responsibility to keep an eyes on you." He tapped his foot on the ground "So, where were you off to?"

"I was going outside. Y'know, fresh air, maybe a swim-"

"Sounds nice, I'll come with you." He smiled and began walking towards me.

I let a breath out between pressed lips, holding my hands up as he walked into them "Zack. I think Matt would be okay with me just going outside alone."

"No, Jackie, he wouldn't. He doesn't want you left alone. Hence you moving back home." He gestured around the house.

"To his house." I crossed my arms "Not home. I'm not the keenest about living here, I can take care of myself." I rolled my eyes.

Zack groaned "Jackie." He reached out, grabbed my arms, and turned them up. He looked from the scars, to my eyes "Do you think we'll ever trust you alone again? Better yet, should we? You got out of the hospital three days ago. People relapse in three days, people relapse in a week, without warning. Ok? If we let you out of our sights-"

"I'll grab the nearest needle full of Heroin and shoot up, yeah Zack. Cos I didn't learn my lesson the first time." I shook his hadns from my arms "Follow me around, knock yourself out, Bro." I walked through the backdoor, listening as he followed. I knew they were only looking out for me, but seriously. How could I posses Heroin in my own backyard? Matt's backyard, nonetheless.

I sat down in a lawnchair, and Zack sat across the yard. I opened the book in my hands The Pact by Jodi Picoult. An author I met in the fifth grade back home. She was from New Hampshire, my home state, and visited the fifth grade in our school every year. She was, by far, my favorite author, by default.

Like the Red Sox were my favorite team, by default of territory. Like Avenged Sevenfold was my favorite band now, by default of family. Like Halloween was my favorite holiday, by default of my birthday falling on it.

I opened it up, but was quickly distracted by a door slamming inside the house. I heard a loud voice, unmistakably Matt's.

"Where is everybody?!" He sounded worried.

"Backyard!" Zack and I answered in timely unison. I gave him a quick glare from the corner of my eye as I heard the backdoors open.

"Oh, there you two are." Matt's cheery voice came. I instinctively covered the crooks of my arms as he walked over, placing a gentle kiss on my forehead. I shied away and he gave me a weird look "What's the matter?"

"Nothing." I mumbled "Just... reading a sad story."

"About?" He asked, pulling up a chair next to me. If I wasn't mistaken, the vibe in the air wasn't that intimate more of a friendly relationship, and my nerves weren't responding well to the change in weather. I gave him a look.

"Two lovers, she wanted to kill herself but couldn't do it. So she said if the boy loved her enough, Chris, that's his name, would shoot her. So Emily, that's the girl, made him shoot her. She pulled the trigger though. I thought it was sweet. I mean... so Bonnie and Clyde." I smiled as his facial expression twisted from interested, to disturbed.

"Do you really think that's a good plot to be reading-"

"When I'm angry? At everyone for being so damn protective? No, beacuse I know you don't love me enough to shoot me, to take me out of my misery, Matt." I stood up, leaving the book on the chair "I've read it before. He admits to killing her in the end."

"That's not a very happy ending." Zack mumbled.

"She didn't have siblings, I think it's very happy." I walked towards the door and opened it "Don't worry, I'm going to get something to eat. I promise not to shoot up while I'm making a turkey sandwich." I flashed a quick, spitefull smile at them before walking in.

"Jackie-"

"Don't Jackie me." I spun around on the kitchen tile as Zack and Matt walked in "I don't need this right now, guys. This isn't what I need." I repeated myself.

"Ok... then what do you need?" Matt asked, walking up to me.

"SOmeone who understands, who doesn't judge me, who won't babysit me, and who will just love me." I looked up into his brown eyes, not recognizing the emotions louding them. There were hints of sorrow in the creases above his brow, confusion in the bridge of his nose, but then there was the understanding when his arms wrapped around my body, holding me close.

"Then love is exactly what you'll get. Granted," He paused and looked down at me "We aren't going to back off that easily. We're still on edge, babe. You really scared us. But I guess having Zack stalk you all day wasn't a great idea."

"House arrest?" I asked "As long as I can have alone time while in the house. And believe me, I understand where you're coming from." I placed my hand on his arm, offering a smile. I looked behind him at Zack "That, my dear brother, would be your cue to skiddaddle." I laughed.

"Oh, ok. See ya!" He laughed and I swear I saw fire on his heels as he headed for the door.

Matt watched and laughed, cupping my face in his hands "So... Maddy's with my parents for the day. Zack's finally gone. You're here with me... could this get any better?" He asked.

"Well, yeah." I smiled and stood on my tiptoes, pressing my lips to his. All I could taste was Matt. All the flavors of my world coming back into perspective. What I've been missing for so long, finally back within my reach.
♠ ♠ ♠
HEYYY!!!!! Happy Labor Day :) Hope Y'all had a good one :)

I have a request: If you have a loved one or a friend who serves in the military (any branch!) tell them they're appreciated, and don't forget to tell them you love/appreciate them whenever you have the chance. Cos it's a tough thing to do what they do, and there are only a few people who put their lives on the line for our safety.

OK! Now that I said that :) Hoped you liked this one, one more for the night (I just looked at the clock and it's 9:11 holy fuck) them I'm off to bed... ok maybe two haha. Depending on how long I make them :)

comment/rate/subscribe/whore-out ;D

xoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxo Jbizz