Status: Slow But Sure

I'm Adopted: Vengeance Edition.

74

Matt's POV

The only room the door was shut. Of course. Zack knocked and Brian gave him a look.

"Like they'll hear you. I can barely hear my own voice." He rolled his eyes and opened the door. "Oh holy fucking God." His voice was barely audible as we all stood in silence.

"JACKIE." Zack screamed.

"What the fuck?!"

"ZACK!" Jackie screamed and yanked the blankets over herself and the naked man next to her. My heart sank into my stomach as my eyes rested on the end table, needles, powder, bowls, I couldn't believe her.

"What are you doing man?!" The guy screamed "Get the fuck OUT!"

"Get off of my sister!" Zack screamed.

"Get out!" He shouted back.

They exchanged a few more shouts before the kid got out of bed, blanket wrapped around his mid section, leaving Jackie covered in the comforter as he started at Zack. I moved forward and shoved his shoulders back "Back the fuck up!" I Shouted "You're too fucking high for a fight you fucking prick!"

"Matt stop!" Jackie screamed at me "Just go away!"

"Who the fuck is this, Jackie?" The guy, gonna guess was Taylor, turned and asked her.

"Her fiance, you have a problem with that?" I hissed as he stared at me.

"Jackie?" He asked.

"He's lying, Taylor, he's full of shit!" She shouted and stood up, barely catching herself as she began giggling "Just come back to bed, they'll leave soon enough." She picked up a vile of liquid "Come on, I have some of that shit Dustin mixed left. It'll take your mind off it." She winked at him as he glared me down.

"We need to fucking talk." I stared at her. Taking in the fact she had probably lost fifteen pounds of weight she shouldn't have, her eyes were sunken in, and her hair was a mess. The latter probably on account she was just fucking some heroine addict.

"No. We don't actually." She crossed her bare arms, scars trailing over her elbows like polka dots. "Maddy's at my parents if you want to see her."

"You have a kid?" Taylor glanced between us "So you're together?"

"No"

"Yes." I smiled, correcting Jackie. I knew it would piss her off to no end.

"I can't deal with this shit. Get it together." Taylor waved Jackie off and pushed passed up, grabbing his clothes on the way out.

Jackie sat staring at us, her jaw slack as she watched him leave. She ran her hand through her hair, her body unstable.

"Jackie just listen." Brian sighed "We're worried about you. You can't do this agai-"

"I can do whatever..." She fought to stand up "I want." She laughed "And if that means getting high, fucking guys, I can. And I don't. Give. A Fuck. What you think." She stammered, reaching out infront of her and before any of us could react she shoved a needle into her arm "So fuck off or have some fun." She slid the tube until it was empy.

"Jackie stop it. Right fucking now. You're a mother, knock it off." Zack walked over and grabbed the needle from her hand once she removed it from her skin "Please."

She hissed and threw it across the room "You don't know anything about me!" Tears brimmed her eyes "I can't stop thinking about what I've done. I can't go back." She began shaking "I can't. I haven't had a sober day since I've been back."

"You were at mum and dad's for two weeks-"

"I wasn't." She looked up, tears spilling her bright green eyes "I was there, but I wasn't sober. I was drinking, every day. I wouldn't go out but to get something to eat-"

"Sure." Brian rolled his eyes.

"Regardless." Jackie brushed him off, her eyes dialating in and out. She was so gone. "I'm here now." She gestured around "I'm fine. I'm alive, I'm surviving. Kara and I are happy just having fun here-"

"You could die. You almost died last year, Jackie." I looked her dead in the eyes.

"Yah? Maybe we'd have been better off if I did... or at least you guys." She pushed passed us "Now please, leave. You're ruining this night."

"Is this is?" I asked, grabbing her arm "You're gonna give up everything we had to be a junkie? You had everything. A home. A fiance. A kid." I shook my head as tears escaped her eyes again "Jackie please."

"I don't want it Matt. I can't be a mother. I can't do it. And it means I lose you... and.. well.. I'm nineteen." She laughed "This is my time, these are my years."

"Not if you keep this up, Jackie. Not if you keep this us." Brian shook his head and walked out "We tried." He mumbled as he and Zack left the house.

"Just..." I took her hand "Please keep in touch? For Maddy's sake? She needs to know her mom. And... even if we aren't together, I want to know you're gonna be ok."

"I'll try..." She whispered "I... I have to go." She grabbed the doorframe and stabalized herself before walking down the hall, turning into what I assumed was the bathroom. I shot Zack a text that I'd be out soon, and carefully followed her.

I listened as she cried in the bathroom, the door locking behind her. Her cries stopped and I heard glass shatter. "Fuck." I whispered under my breath and knocked on the door. No answer. "Jackie?" I asked. "Jackie, please. Just... I want to make sure you're ok?"

The handle shimmied open and the door swung open. Jackie sat on the counter, her arm sxtended infront of her, a needle in her opposite hand. She glanced up, her face vacant.

"I'm breathing."

"Barely." I whispered back

"Don't make this hard, just go." She wiped her eyes "I'll call you this weekend."

"Promise?" I asked.

"Promise."

"Sober?" I asked again.

"Enough." She looked back down "I'm never sober. I can't. My mind thinks too much when I'm sober."

"If you had let me fix it, you wouldn't have to do this." I whispered and turned away as she hopped down off the counter.
♠ ♠ ♠
xoxoxoxoxoxJb