Status: Slow But Sure

I'm Adopted: Vengeance Edition.

82

Brian's POV

Matt had somehow, godknows how, gotten us all back to band practice Saturday night. Music was our let out, it was our escape. But sometimes... getting together at times like this only caused stress.

"So." Matt started as we sat down after practice. "Anyone heard from Jackie?"

"Oh god." Groans circled the room.

"What?" Matt asked.

"No one's going to bring that up." Michelle sighed, still not on board with going behind his back to lunch next week, even though she was ok with not telling him where exactly Jackie was. To be brutally honest, things were getting tense between us over the whole issue and seriously, if she coulnd't just realize Jackie was pretty much family, then I don't know what I'd do.

"You guys are assholes." Matt rolled his eyes.

"How? How are we assholes?" Jimmy asked "Please inform me."

"Because you know what's up and you're keeping it one big hush hush secret." He rolled his eyes "I mean come on, so she moved out, ya? She's with someone else? She's doing great, she's clean, she has Maddy, she finally came to her senses. Ok. Cool. I'm happy for her I'm elated actually. But no one can tell me?!" He threw his hands up.

"Just stop." Michelle groaned "I'm out."

"Mich come on-"

"No, because this is all so fucked. You know that? Maddy's suffering because you two can't get your fucking acts together. You aren't working out, so break up. Right? Let her make the decision, stop making it hard for her, stop being such a nice guy, Matt. Let her make the decision for herself and stop the you know you love me bullshit because that's a cowards move. You fucking morong. Jesus. She isn't happy with you and making her miserable over it doesn't show you love her. Let her fucking go."

"Michelle I can't."

"Oh here we go, another one who doesn't want to deal with reality." She laughed sarcastically "You know what, fuck this. I'm so done with all of this crap. Brian I'll be at the house."

"Mich come on-"

"Bye." She waved her hand as she walked out the door.

"Dude." I Stood up and glared at Matt "Your fucked up life is bringing everyone else down and it's really killing the vibes around here."

"It's not his fault." Zack sighed "Guys we just need to... we need to take a break. From all of this."

"What?" Matt asked "Like-"

"We need to stop hanging out. I can't... I can't do this to Jackie. She needs me to support her decisions and not be bringing her ex back around the house. I'm sorry man." Zack stood up "I'm out too."

"So... the band?" Matt asked "We're done?"

"No, we just need to take a break from that. Give it a few months dude. I'll call Larry and explain to him, just... stay away from the house? Mom and Dad will bring Maddy over your parents to see her."

"Zack please," Matt pleaded "You can't... I need... Please."

"You have friends, but this is tearing us all apart. I can't let that happen. Jackie needs stability when she gets out, and-"

"Wait... out?" Matt asked, worry coating his voice "Where is she? Did she get arrested? Oh my god, is that where you two were?" He looked at me.

"No." I shook my head.

"She's not in jail, Matt." Zack looked at me, I nodded. Time has come "She's in rehab."

"Are you fucking serious?" Matt asked.

"She needs it, and she needs to be left alone to come to terms with there's only one thing in life that's a constant for her, and that's Maddy. She doesn't have to be around you, she doesn't even have to be around us... she just needs to take care of Maddy and be a mother. I have to go." He walked towards the door and clearly ignored Matt's shouts for answers.

"Brian!" He shouted as I stood "You can't-"

"He's right... you need to realize she doesn't want you, and you need to let it go. Stop trying to save her, because you can't." I shook my head as Jim and Johnny left "You can't save her, it's out of your control... She's in control now. You just have to let her go. Sorry."

The last thing I heard before closing the door was him drop to his knees, quiet sobs escaping his mouth. I felt my heart break and I couldn't help but wonder why I felt so bad for him. Maybe it's because they were destined to be together and none of this should be happening to them. None of it.

I just hoped Matt didn't make the biggest mistake of his life while Jackie was fixing her's. It was like they took turns with their addictions. When he was clean, she was shooting up, and when he was drunk she was clean. Maybe they could only tolerate the other when they were impared... But regardless, Maddy couldn't suffer through this. We needed to part ways to figure out what we were going to do. And that's exactly what we did.
♠ ♠ ♠
My Pandora is set to Lynyrd Skynyrd and the best music ever keeps coming on. I'm updating like crazy because tomorrow night we're going out to a Zac Brown Band concert and then Sunday I'll be recovering from a hangover so I don't anticipate any updates this weekend... sorry :( But I'll be back this week!! Working nights so I'll be wound up when I get home so I can stay up and update!!

xoxoxoxoxoxox Jb