Status: Slow But Sure

I'm Adopted: Vengeance Edition.

87

Matt's POV

Jackie stood, beer in hand, between Jason Berry and Brian. She was laughing at something Jason had said, her voice booming with emotion as she wiped laughter induced tears from her eyes. I could hear them talking and looked down as someone nudge my foot.

"You know, everyone can tell you're staring." Michelle smiled up at me "Just... leave her be?"

"I already told Zack it'd be ok." I smiled, trying to mask the pain inside "I'm just glad to have her back as a friend. I'll settle for friends over nothing."

"Good." Mich smiled as she walked over to Jackie, earning a shriek and giant hug from her. I smiled and took a sip of my rootbeer, walking over to where Zack was grilling.

"Wassup buttnut?" Zack asked, smirking at me as I rolled my eyes "What? Not talking her up?"

"Zack." I warned as he raised his hands in mock defense "I'm letting her catch up."

"With Jase." He raised an eyebrow as her arm steadied herself around his waist. "Yeah, that's exactly your plan." He laughed and rolled his eyes "Easy killer, don't cut your hand." He gestured to the glass in my hand.

I was gripping it ridiculously tight. I loostened my grasp and sat down on the table "I don't know. I mean... I love her-"

"Don't start that shit, Matthew." Zack pointed a barbecue sauce covered spatula at me "Don't."

"I'm not, don't worry. I'm just saying. She was the one... is.." I mumbled as we both watched Jackie and Jason carefully "She's the mother of my child, regardless of where she may be, we have that bond. I'm not going to ruin this and put her into a stressful situation, I'm going to let her live her life no matter who it's with. I just will always care about her and do everything in my power to protect her. No matter what our status' may be. I don't care if I'm married, if she calls me at two in the morning, crying, freaking out, I'll be there."

"Wow." Zack flipped a chicken wing "These are really juicy.."

"Zack!" I groaned.

"I heard you, I'm kidding." He laughed "Thanks... really. If it's meant to be, that girl you'll be married to will be her." He gestured behind his back with the spatula.

"Woah woah now bro," Jackie laughed as she walked up behind him "Don't try to impale me now."

"Didn't see you." He laughed as she snuggled under his arm, sipping her third beer "Are you ok with that?" He asked.

"I'm a recovering... recovered drug addict. I'm not the alcoholic." She giggled and sipped again.

"That would be me." I laughed as she nodded.

"Thankfully you aren't drinking. I don't feel like dealing with that right now." She laughed deep in her stomach and sat down behind Zack on a lawn chair "No one wants that right now."

"Alright Jackie-" Zack warned but she continued.

"I mean... no one, you're a dick when you're drunk. Like... really." She raised her glass. "I would toast to you being sober but no ones around with a beer."

"Thanks." I laughed "A lot."

"You're welcome. So.. did you go to rehab?" She asked "Like, you're too controlled around this shit." She swigged her drink, licking it off her lips.

"Jackie!" Zack shouted.

"No, I didn't." I placed my elbows on my knees, leaning forward and staring her in the eyes dead on "I knew how to overcome my addiction on my own, I don't have to depend on anyone to keep me alive."

"Matt!" Zack shouted "Will you two just-"

"Knock it off?" Jackie stood, as did I "I'll knock if off when he starts acting like an adult-"

"I wasn't the one calling you out on being an addict, now was I?" I crossed my arms as she approached me. "Jaclyn, don't do anything you'll regret sober." I smirked as she threw her glass down, shattering glass all across the patio.

"None of my regrets were made while I was drunk, all of mine were done sober." She hissed "Unlike some people." She walked across the stones and into the house.

"Well!" Brian walked over "That was eventful, who knew. Stand still, theres glass everywhere-"

"Christ!"

We all turned towards the house as Jackie hopped on one foot to the door, biting her lip "Uh.. Uhm... Jimmy? Can you help me?" She asked, the first person she locked eyes with, and pointed to her bleeding foot. He rolled his eyes and handed his beer off to Brian before making his way in the house.

"You're a retard, you know that right?" He laughed as he hoisted her up.

"I know... I'm sorry Jimbo, I love you.."

"Love you too kid." He closed the door behind them as Brian and I began cleaning up the glass.

"So much for caring." Zack muttered.

I stood and glared at him "And I was supposed to...? Amuse her? Let her go at me? She's drunk, if she had been sober she would have stopped." I laughed "She knows better."

"Maybe, Matt, just maybe... you're the one who needs to know better." Michelle shook her head "She's going through a lot-"

"And I'm not?" I laughed "Oh my god you people are insane. I'm literally in the same position she is! Minus I didn't just get out of rehab. But my ex fiance did. That's a big deal. So ya, anyone else want to tell me I should be all fine and copasetic please do. I dare you." I walked into the house "I'll be at my place if anyone chooses to fuck their life up." I shook my head and walked to the front door, hearing Jackie's muffled cries as I passed the bathroom. I glanced towards the cracked door and saw her holding onto Jimmy, crying into his chest as he rubbed her back.

"It's fine... it'll be ok hun." He whispered calmly as she pulled back, wiping her puffy red eyes "He didn't mean it."

"But he was so mad." She staggered as she tried to breath "I just... I just want it all to be smooth again." She looked at the floor


I kept walking, shaking my head. I could do this, I could not be a bitter asshole... I could. For her sake, I would.
♠ ♠ ♠
WOOP!! Off to bed! Got my interview tomorrow!!! can I get some comments so I know what y'alll think????

xoxoxoxoxoxoxoxo Jb