Status: Slow But Sure

I'm Adopted: Vengeance Edition.

94

Matt's POV

I woke up to my nose itching from Jackie's hair tickling it, so much for it not tickling me. I couldn't help but stare at her as she slept. She was so beautiful. Her eyes were shut so gently it was almost like she wasn't sleeping, but her breathing was so shallow I knew she was still asleep. Her lips were perfect, her nose was so small... Her hair was a mixture of deep brown and blonde tones, it reahed past the middle of her back. She was just all around gorgeous and it killed me wondering what this morning would bring for a reaction from her.

"Stop staring."

I smirked as she opened her eyes, the deep green color I had so missed flashing infront of me. "Good morning." I smiled, refraining from kissing her in anyway in case she freaked out. I mean, she was drunk last night.

"Thank you for last night, Matt.. I really don't know what I would have done if you hadn't shown up." She closed her eyes momentarily, allowing me to scan her whole body. I noticed the cut on her forehead from the other day when she fell, and some scars on her hand from breaking glass so often.

"I'm glad I did." I watched as she moved the blankets off of her and scratched at her leg, that's when I noticed my tshirt had rode up her hips, exposing bruises. "What are those?" I asked and gently ran my fingers over the skin. She swatted my hand away and rolled over, shrugging in the process of pulling the shirt over the dark marks on her skin "No, Jackie, what are those from?"

"Last night.." She mumbled "Probably."

"They're too dark to be last night. Jackie." I sat up and turned her shoulder with my hand so she was facing me "What the fuck are they?"

Her eyes cringed but her body showed no reaction. "They're from Aaron."

"When?" I asked "Zack said you hadn't been seeing him much.."

"Whenever I told Zack I was studying I was usually at Aaron's house." She moved the shirt a little more so I could see again "Usually he would stop after a while and realize what he was doing," Her voice was emotionless "But sometimes he wouldn't stop till he fell asleep, or passed out, and I got to sneak out and go home."

"Zack never asked?" I wondered as I stared at the fingerprint sized bruises along her mid section.

"He never saw, I barely spend time with him lately. I'm at school, work, or Aaron's house. I sleep at Zack's but... that's pretty much it. We never go anywhere together like the beach where he'd see." She shrugged.

"So like..."

"Two months, it's been going on for two months."

"Jackie.." I whispered as she let her guard down for a moment and a tear slid down her cheek.

"You know, after a while you start to block it out and it becomes less... abusive? And more normal. Like, I was almost surprised he hadn't been wors when you showed up which is why I mainly didn't want you picking me up from his house.."

"You didn't want me to see?" I asked, she nodded "Jaclyn."

"Don't full name me, it's fine." She whispered "It's what he does-"

"Not any more that's for sure." I shook my head as she looked up at me. "What's the matter?" I asked, reading the worry in her eyes.

"Can you... can you not tell Zack?" She asked "I don't want him freaking out any more than he already is."

"Why is he freaking out already? Cuz of that coke bust?" I asked "He knows you weren't involved right?" I asked.

"But a few of my classmates were and he's flipping out.." She mumbled as my eyes met her's, concern clearly on my face "I wasn't, don't worry. I'm not trying to die." She laughed a little as I sighed "Don't worry." She snuggle into my side, taking a deep breath as my hand rested on her shoulder, my thumbs tracing the outline of her skin "I miss this so much." She whispered.

"I do too." I mumbled "I want to rewind so badly and stay home last year."

"I wish you could." She whispered against my skin and fidgeted, "I have to get up." She sat and then stood quickly "I'll be right back." She grabbed her purse, her hands shaking badly as she stumbled for the bathroom. I stayed sitting, knowing she'd be fine.

A few minutes later she returned and sat down "Good?" I asked.

She fidgeted against the sleeves of her shirt and nodded "I should probably go get my car though..."

"Brian and Michelle already brought it to Zack's." I shook my head "Don't worry."

"Oh... thanks." She nodded and looked around "But uh.. I should probably go then... I mean... thank you so much for bringing me home last night but..." She looked at me and I knew it was coming. Why I ever thought I could get comfortable with this again was beyond me. "I don't know what it all meant."

"Well I think we established we both miss being together." I shrugged as she laid on her back beside me "And we both still love eachother."

Jackie nodded her head "I just don't want to hurt you by fucking up again, Matt." She whispered "I know I wasn't the only one I was killing while I was killing myself." She stared at me as I nodded "I can't do that to you again."

"But we both know we're meant to be together..." I looked down at her as she sat up, staring at me "Jackie I can't let you walk out of my life again. I have to do everything in my power to keep you... I can't lose you. And you won't hurt me, you'll never get back to that."

"I'm so scared." She mumbled "I don't want to lose you either..."

"Well then you won't, just let me help." I pulled her close and kissed her forehead, letting her head fall on my chest as she cried "Let me in, Jackie, stop being afraid of it."

"I love you Matt." She cried as tears fell down my shirt "I fucking love you I'm sorry."

"I love you Jackie, it's gonna be alright..."

And I'm not sure if it was more for me or her, but I kept repeating that line over and over until eventually we both fell back asleep, her under my arm, and both of us finally feeling complete. Scared, but complete.
♠ ♠ ♠
.... well.... yah..