Status: Slow But Sure

I'm Adopted: Vengeance Edition.

99

Matt's POV

Jackie was dressed in long black slacks, a white tank top, a black sports coat, and two inch pointed toe heels. Her hair was pulled back in a tight pony tail, her bangs clipped aside since they were just long enough to not meet the bow in her hair and could just tuck behind her ear. Her fingers tapped restlessly on the table infront of her as the judge read the paperwork set infront of him. I leaned forwards and rested my hand on her shoulder.

"It'll be ok babe." I whispered as she nodded, her smile hiding every emotion in the universe.

"Jaclyn Marie Baker?" The judge called.

"Yes." Her attorney stood, gesturing for Jackie to follow, which she did.

"It seems your accusations are correct..." The judge looked up and nodded "Illegally signing over custody of a child, without holding full sole custody of the child." He nodded and looked at the husband and wife across the room "Mr. and Mrs. Taylor.. I'm afraid this adoption has been void."

"But... the paper work we signed... the time we waited." The woman whispered, her voice trembling, her light blue eyes scanning Jackie's face "It was made clear to us you were signing over custody-"

"Miss Baker never signed over custody to her parents, there is no paperwork showing her signature depicting such." The judge looked up "Custody of Madeline Anna Baker still solely belongs to Jaclyn Marie Baker. Madeline will be... returned?" He looked up at the Taylors "To Jaclyn by noon tomorrow, if not sooner, or I'll see you back here. Case closed. Court is dismissed." The judge slammed his gavel into the desk, stood, and left.

Jackie stood and turned to me, her smile threatening to break the barrier of her skin. I opened my arms and she lept over the railing into them.

"Our familys back." She whispered into my ear, I could feel hot tears rolling down my neck and knew she had begun crying.

"Jaclyn?"

I set her down as Mrs. and Mr. Taylor stood in front of us "Yes." She nodded, keeping her smile at bay.

"We'd like you to come retrieve Madeline with us from the daycare." Mrs. Taylor forced a smile "I'm so sorry for all of this, if we had known-"

"It's not your fault at all." Jackie took her hand "I feel like the worst person on the planet, but I love my baby and never meant for this to happen to her. My parents... my parents obviously didn't get my input."

"We're so sorry." Mr. Taylor sighed "Come with us?"

"Of course." Jackie smiled and took my hand "This is Madeline's father, Matthew."

"Nice to meet you... she has your eyes." Mrs. Taylor smiled "She still remembers." She looked between us "She's always looking around."

Jackie broke. Her eyes began flooding as if Niagara Falls opened a new location "It's ok babe." I whispered "You didn't know."

Jackie nodded as we climbed in to the car, following the Taylors up the street to a day care they left Maddy at for the hearing. We parked and I looked over at Jackie, her eyes brimming with tears.

"It's been a full year." She whispered, "I haven't seen her in over a year."

"Me neither." I whispered "Do you think she remembers us?"

"Of course she does.." Jackie whispered "She must.."

I got out and opened her door, holding her hand as she got out. Her smile widened as the Taylors escorted a wobbling brown haired child out of the facility. Her dark brown eyes scanned the parking lot, her hands reaching up and brushing her hair from her face. Jackie's hand tightened on mine as Maddy's eyes met her's.

Her tiny feet stopped, haulting the motion of the adults she was holding hands with. "M... M.. Mumma!" Maddy screeched and shook away from the Taylors hands "Mumma mumma!"

"Madeline." Jackie's voice broke as she fell to her knees as Maddy collided with her body "Baby...."

"Mumma." Maddy kept repeating over and over as the Taylors stood watching, no one could help but smile. It was beautiful.

Jackie lifted Maddy up, holding her tight in her arms, kissing the side of her face repeatedly. Maddy's eyes met mine and she stared for a minute before her smile grew.

"Daddy?" She reached out to me "Daddy!"

"Mads." I laughed as Jackie handed her to me, her tiny arms halfway wrapping around my shoulders "Hi baby."

"Why?" She pulled back and looked at me "Why gone?"

"Mumma and Daddy were..." I looked around, not exactly sure what to tell her. Oh we accidentally gave you up for adoption, well your grandparents did actually, because your mother was a heroine addict and your father was a deadbeat. Yah no.

"Mumma and Daddy were on vacation." Mrs. Tayor smiled "They took a little trip."

"Oh!" Maddy smiled "Back?"

"Yes." Jackie wiped her eyes "We're back now."

"Yay!..." Maddy looked around.

"What's up doll?" I asked, bouncing Maddy on my hip as Jackie talked details with the Taylors.

"Zack?" She asked, pointing to the car "Uncle Zack?" She asked again.

"He's at home." I laughed, she had a good memory for an eighteen month old.

"Go?" She asked "Now?"

"Soon." I kissed her cheek as she smiled "Janey and Lou!" She shouted "Zack!"

The Taylors looked back and smiled "She talks a lot about people we have no idea who they are." Janey I'm assuming, smiled at Jackie.

"Zack's my brother." Jackie smiled "So... We'll come up tomorrow and get the rest of her things?" She added.

"That works perfect, then we can call the judge and let him know?" Lou asked.

"Yup, I'll give him a call and tell him everything went smooth.. I'm leaving for Miami on Saturday though, so if anything else comes up let me know before hand." Jackie smiled.

"That sound spectacular." Janey smiled and looked at Maddy "It was nice having you stay with us sweetie."

"Bye Janey!" Maddy smiled and put her small hand flat on my chest "Daddy and Mumma back."

"Yes, they are." Lou smiled as they both gave Maddy kisses on the cheek and got into their car.

"Ready to go see Zack and Jimmy?" Jackie asked, Maddy's face lit up as she smiled and nodded, her brown hair falling all around her face.

I couldn't barely believe the small human in my arms was my Madeline. Mine. Ours. Jackie and my small human. And she was finally back in our lives. As Jackie buckled Maddy into her car seat I watched the two interact and couldn't believe for a minute I was going to settle for not having these two beautiful ladies in my life.

That was one thing I couldn't live without and I knew it. And I wasn't going to let them slip through my fingers again. That was for damn sure.
♠ ♠ ♠
Heyyyyyy heyyyy hope there's still readers. got a little writers block on this one but ehhhh IDK lol... what's Matt thinkin? ;)

xoxoxoxoxox J