Gone Forever

I Never Even Said Good-bye

Pete went to stand by the window hoping to see any sign of the younger man. But he would never come back not anymore. The younger man Patrick was tragically killed when he was crossing a street. Pete always seethed with anger every time he thought about it. Why are people so careless? He sighed as he went and sat down. He curled himself up in a ball and laid his head on his pillow. he missed Patrick he missed him everyday. Patrick was his best friend the person Pete could always go to with any conflict in his life. Till that driver carelessly drove that red light. Pete's eyes filled with tears as the memory of that night filled his mind....

"Hey guys I bet I can beat you all to the other side!" Pete cried. The guys all laughed as he went through ridiculous warm ups. Patrick scoffed.

"Ya right Pete not with those tight pants you won't!" he said as he prepared himself waiting for the light to turn red. Andy joined them and Joe behind them then the light turned red and they all sprinted out across the street. Pete was ahead with Andy close behind him and Joe behind Andy. Patrick was slightly behind but stopped suddenly when a pair of headlights flashed in his eyes. He shielded his eyes as the car ran right into him. He could feel some of his ribs shatter and blood rise up from his stomach and out of his mouth and splatter on the windshield. His head slammed against the hood before he was sent flying backwards. Pete stopped and whirled around in time to see Patrick flying back and hitting the ground some ten feet away with a sickening thud. Pete felt like vomiting he could feel his heart twisting and breaking as he dashed over to Patrick. Andy was screaming for help and Joe was motionless in shock. Pete made it to Patrick but he was too late. He was gone just like that nothing was bringing him back....

"I never even said good-bye!" Pete suddenly cried. He started to sob and walked back to the window. Every night the same he walks to the window hoping for the impossible. But was faced with an empty street. Pete leaned against the wall and slid down shaking uncontrollably. He pulled his knees up to his chest and rested his face on them sobbing. He questioned everything around him. He found himself yelling at god.

"How could you let this happen? Your supposed to look out for him! Well where were you?" he yelled standing up to face the window once more.

"I never even said good-bye..never said good-bye," he mumbled again. Pete couldn't stand it he exited the house walking down towards the cemetery where they buried him. He marched through the rows till he found Patrick's. He stood in front of it letting his eyes travel along the inscription. Pete felt hot tears fall down his face as he sat down and leaned his back against the cold stone. He shivered slightly in the cool breeze. He looked at his watch 4:11 A.M. He curled up and shivered again.

"This should have never happened not now not like this not ever you should have never died before me not ever I'm the oldest you should have been burying me 50 some years from now! Not me burying you at 23! 23 so young , way to young," he mumbled as fresh tears leaked over his face. He suddenly felt sleepy his eyelids became heavy as he felt him self drifting into sleep. Suddenly he felt a shadow over him and something cold touch his cheek. And before his eyes closed he heard a voice and knew it was him.

"Pete."

"Pete!"

Pete suddenly opened his eyes and looked around. Andy was in front of him. Pete looked around again. They were alone and the sun was just peaking over the horizon.

"Sorry man didn't mean to slip out on you guys," he said rubbing his eyes. Andy smiled and helped Pete up.

"Come on lets get out of here," Andy said leading him away. Pete looked back at the grave and stopped as he saw a shadow. Pete blinked but it was gone.
Gone forever.