Prehistoric Love

Chapter 5

Image

It was still raining the next morning, but at least not as hard.

I had to take a few seconds to remember where I was and why, then I had to take even more time to understand why I was laying on Nate.

We were still under the tree. Nate was leaning back against the ancient bark and I was leaning on his chest, using him as a pillow.

Why am I … oh, crap.

I told him, I told him everything.

And now he’s going to hate me even more.

I don’t even want to think about what he’s going to do about his mother.

Swallowing, I sit up, being careful enough not to wake him.

Getting up, I walk to the edge of the tree’s protection, watching through the curtain of rain.

I still can’t believe I’m in a world with dinosaurs.

Shaking my head I walk around the tree, trying to come to terms with everything that’s going on.

But when I reach the other side the blood drains from my face.

Eggs.

There were dozens of nests resting in the tree’s shade.

Walking slowly I reach a nest and kneel down next to it. There were six large eggs laying in the large nest, the brownish color smeared with dirt.

Okay, this isn’t good.

Even if the parents are plant eaters they could still do damage to an unwanted visitor.

Standing up I turn around to go back to Nate when a cracking sound filled my ears. Turning slowly I stand frozen when I see one of the eggs in the nest I was inspecting move.

A crack forms, then even more. The egg shakes and sounds start to come out of it.

I watched as the top pops off.

Oh, God.

The rest of the egg falls apart and, as the other eggs begin to move, I stare into the eyes of a baby Raptor.

Why does Lady Luck hate me?

When he starts to cry out in loud bursts I run back the way I came. Nate was just getting up, blinking the sleep from his eyes when I reach him.

“Nate, get up, we’ve got to go.” I say when I reach him

“What’s going on? What is that noise?” he asked, still sitting

I grab his hand and pull, but he won’t move, “Nate! We have to go now!”

“Why?”

“Because, there’s a whole family of Raptor eggs on the other side of this tree hatching. And that noise you hear? That's a baby Raptor calling his family.” I explain frantically.

“Really?” he looked excited and moved to head around the tree.

I grab his arm, stopping him, “Did you not hear me? They’re calling for mom and-“

Nate’s cursing interrupted me.

He was looking behind me, so I turned around and gasped.

A Raptor’s nose is poking out of the rain and into the shelter of the tree. It moved slowly, sniffing the air. We watched, frozen, as more of the head became visible.

“Nate….”

Soon the eyes were visible, and they locked on us. The creature growled a hissing sound, exposing its sharp, bloody teeth. It walked further out of the rain, clicking its claws together.

More rumbles came from its chest, and we still couldn’t move.

I gripped Nate’s hand as he pulled me closer to him.

The Raptor walked closer, growling even louder.

Then it opened its jaws wide and charged.

But before we could move another Raptor whipped around us, its jaws locked onto the shoulder of the first Raptor.

We watched in shock as the second Raptor threw the first to the ground, roaring its fury. The first Raptor got up and took off, disappearing into the rain.

My heart pounded even harder when the second Raptor turned and looked at me.

And there was no way I would ever forget those familiar eyes.

“Nate,” I whispered, “It’s the leader.”

He didn’t say anything as the Raptor walked closer to us, stopping an arm’s length away.

The Raptor and I stared at each other.

And for a weird reason I didn’t fell fear or intimidation.

Slowly I reached my hand out, but before I could touch the dinosaur Nate quickly grabbed my arm.

“Are you insane?!” he growled

“Nate, I don’t think it wants to hurt us.”

“My God, you are insane.”

I jerked my arm free, once more holding it out.

“Cass, this isn’t a stray dog.”

“I know that.” I whispered

I didn’t move, keeping my hand just a few inches away from the Raptor. After what seemed like ages the Raptor moved, rubbing its nose against my palm.

I smiled when the Raptor pulled back, holding it’s own clawed hand out.

“Cass, don’t.” Nate gripped my shoulders harder

Ignoring him I touched an extended claw, running my fingers from it to the palm.

The Raptor gave a weird, laugh like hissing sound.

“I think it’s ticklish.” I smiled bigger.

“That’s great, why don’t we just have a tickle party with the carnivorous Raptor?” He growled

Still smiling I watched as the Raptor gently gripped my hand, pulling me from Nate.

But when he didn’t let go the Raptor growled.

“Nate.”

“No Cass, this has gone too far.”

Sighing I shake off Nate’s hands and step closer to the Raptor.

The growling instantly stopped after I was no longer in contact with Nate.

“I don’t think it likes you.”

“Yeah, well the feeling’s mutual,” he grumbled

Ignoring him I step closer to the Raptor, looking it over.

When I come to a particular part I burst into laughter.

“Nate, I think I know why you two don’t get along.”

“Really,” he sounded frustrated, with a little bit of fright added in, “Why don’t you tell me over here, away from the Raptor with sharp teeth and even sharper claws?”

I tried to hold in my laughter as the Raptor pulled at my arm some more, “Nate, just look at the Raptor. What do you see that’s a little odd?”

It took him a second to find what I was talking about, “Is that…what I really think it is?”

“Oh, yes. This Raptor is male and I’m guessing this time of year is mating season down here.”

Nate remained silent for a few more seconds while the Raptor watched us.

“That makes me feel better, Cass. Not only do I have to worry about getting us out of here alive, but now I have to worry about some Raptor having a crush on you.”

I laughed again, “Chill, Nate. I’m sure there are enough females around here for this guy.”

“That’s great Cass, just great. Now can you please come back over here?” He sounded really nervous.

Still smiling I pull my hand from the Raptors and walked back to Nate.

Don’t get me wrong, I’m scared beyond belief to be so close to a Utahraptor, but the experience was so much more important than my fear.

Once I was close enough Nate gripped my arm and pulled me to him, herding me from the Raptor and into the rain.

“Come on, we need to get out of here.” Nate said as he pulled me further from the tree.

“Oh Nate, stop being so jealous.” I joked.

But I guess he didn’t take it as a joke.

He spun around, “Jealous? Jealous?! You think I’m jealous of a dinosaur? If that’s how you feel then why don’t you just go back there.”

He walked away, leaving me to stand there in silence.

What just happened?

Running to catch up I call after him, “Hey, wait! Nate!”

I grab his arm and step in front of him, “What are you talking about? I meant it as a joke.”

He glared at me, “Well I don’t think your choices are very funny.”

“That’s nice, but if you don’t remember I’ll just remind you that I tend to make jokes and use humor in stressful situations.”

“Oh, I remember that clearly,” he spat, “I also remember that you tend to bolt when things start to fall apart.”

Great, I knew he’d still hate me for our wedding day.

And I’m so tired of defending myself against him.

Biting my lip I nod and turn away, walking off into the forest.

“Cass!”

I ignore his calls, not stopping until he pulls me back.

“Cass, I didn’t mean-“

“Stop,” I interrupt quietly, “I can see that this thing between us will never be resolved, so lets just get out of here so that you can go on with your life.”

I tried to keep moving, but Nate wouldn’t let me go, “This thing? What is this thing between us, Cass? Why is it that I take one step away from you, but am pulled back two?”

I glared at him, “Sounds like a personal problem to me, Nate. Now let me go.”

He held my arm tighter, “No.”

“Nathan,” I sigh, “Please just let me, it, go.”

He stared into my eyes, and for a second I thought he was going to release me, “No.”

Guess not.

“Nate-“

“No.” he growled with more force, pulling me closer, “I’m not letting go. Last time you got to make a choice without consulting me. Now it’s my turn.”

I frowned, “What do you mean?”

He leaned down so that we were face to face, “I let you go two years ago, but I’m not making that mistake again.”

“Nate…”

“No, this time you’re going to listen to me. I didn’t care what my mom thought about us then and I still don’t care now. We’re going to get out of here and when we get back home you’re going to marry me, just like you should have done two years ago.”

I stared at him speechless. He wants to marry me? But… why?

I opened my mouth, but he grabbed my face and kissed me, effectively stopping my train of thought.

When he pulled away he rested our foreheads together, “I can’t lose you again, Cass. Not to this world, not to any Raptor, and never again to my mother.”

“Nate,” I whispered, “This all sounds wonderful, and I’ve wanted to hear you say those words for so long, but how do I know you won’t leave me, like I left you?”

He wiped a tear from my cheek, “You don’t. You’ll just have to trust me, Cass.”

Before I could say anything he sighed and continued, “For the past two years I’ve been telling myself that you never mattered, that our memories never happened, but when I saw you step into that truck all those memories came back and I realized that you did matter, you still matter.”

His thumb rubbed my cheek as he stared into my eyes, “I realized that I still love you.”

I may have stopped breathing, “What?”

He cupped my face, “I love you, Cass.”

“Nate,” I looked over his shoulder, “I love you too, but could we, ah, do this a little later?”

He frowned and leaned back, “What? Why?”

“Because I’m thinking that Stegosaurus back there isn’t too happy we’re blocking his path.”

We both move further into the plant line, allowing the dinosaur to waddle past.

Once it was out of sight Nate turned back to me, “Cass, will you marry me?”

Smiling I throw my arms around him, “Yes! Of course I will!”

When we released each other Nate smiled and twined our fingers, “Come on, lets go home.”

~*~

“Nate! Look, the cave!”

We were standing at the bottom of the mountain, the cave just a few feet above us.

He smiled and grabbed my hand, “Come on.”

But just as we got to the opening a Raptor jumped in front of us.

“Good Lord Cass, I mean really,” Nate cried, “Could you please tell your loser ex that you’re no longer together?”

I laughed, “I don’t quite think he’ll take it very well.”

Walking forward we both tried to move around the Raptor, but it only let Nate walk into the cave, always pushing me back towards the forest.

And when Nate tried to pull me into the cave the Raptor growled and jumped between us.

“Cass,” Nate said worriedly.

Swallowing I try to think of something to distract the Raptor with.

Then it hits me, “Nate! Find that flashlight I dropped in the cave!”

He frowned, “Cass, I can’t-”

“Just do it!”

He disappeared into the cave, leaving me with the Raptor.

“So, how’s your day been?” I said conversationally

The Raptor just looked at me.

Hmm, not much of a talker, is he?

“Got it!”

I look up to see Nate waving the flash light.

“Toss it here!”

I catch the light and turn the beam on, flashing it at the dinosaur. He followed the light, mesmerized. Using all my strength I threw the light. The Raptor gave chase, disappearing into the plants.

Once he was gone I bolted into the cave, running into Nate.

“We have to close this off,” I gasped.

He nodded, “There’s some dynamite back in the truck, if we hurry we can close that side of the cave.

So with that plan in mind we raced to the truck, trying to hurry through the rain.

“Nate, how are we going to keep the dynamite dry?” I asked

He pulled a blanket from under the seats and wrapped the dynamite.

Ah, smart.

We rush back to the cave, set up the dynamite, and wait impatiently for the fuse to light.

“Nate, come one, we’ve got to go.”

“Just hold on.”

When the wire did finally light we rushed back down to the truck, taking refugee behind it and the rock.

Peeking out over the side I see a nose push out from the cave opening, then the rest of the Raptors body.

“No…” I whispered

I tried to stand up, but Nate pulled me down.

“No, you need to stay behind this rock.”

“But the Raptor-“

“Trust in his instincts, Cass. He knows something isn’t right.” Nate whispered.

I looked back to the cave to see the Raptor retreat from visibility.

Not two minutes later the dynamite exploded, causing the ground to shake.

I held onto Nate as the mountain above us crumbled, sending chunks of rock to scatter everywhere.

~*~

“Cass, come on. Wake up”

I opened my eyes to sun light, Nate leaning over me.

I sit up slowly, looking around to see our crashed truck and Mr. Stock’s guards going through the rubble.

“What… Nate?”

I look into his emotionless eyes.

No, something was wrong.

“You hit your head when we crashed. Luckily Stock’s men were only a few hours behind us.”

But…

“What about the cave? And the Raptor?”

He frowned, “What cave? What are you talking about?”

I looked over at the mountain, no cave in sight.

“But the crash,” I looked at the truck, “And the rain,” I looked up in the sky.

He narrowed his eyes, “You must’ve hit your head harder than I thought.”

I swallowed and looked at him, “It was all a dream?”

He shook his head, “Cass, I really don’t know what you’re talking about,” he stood up, “I’m going to have Stock’s men take you to the hospital.”

I thought about everything as he walked away.

It couldn’t all be a dream, could it?

God, please don’t let it be a dream.

I can’t stand to lose him again.

As Nate walked back with a few guards a thought struck me.

Maybe it wasn’t just a dream, but my subconscious telling me something.

“Cass, these men are going to take you to the hospital.”

I stood up, swaying on my feet, “Wait! Nate, I have to tell you something.”

He frowned and steadied me with a hand on my elbow, “Tell me after your trip to the hospital.”

“No, please. Just hear me out.”

He frowned again, the nodded, “Fine, but make it quick.”

The guards walked away, moving to sit in their vehicle.

“What is it, Cass?”

I stared into his eyes.

Please don’t let me be wrong.

“I’m really sorry; I made a horrible mistake on our wedding day.”

I could see a flicker of emotion in his eyes.

“I just wanted to tell you that I should never have listened to your mother, and that if you ever give me the chance I will tell you everything.”

I swallowed as he never moved.

“So before I go I want to tell you that I love you. I always have, and I always will.”

Turning I walk to the truck that Stock’s guards were in, taking one look back to see Nate in the same spot, shock and emotions swirling in his dark eyes.
♠ ♠ ♠
So it's done!

I think I may have lost you guys on the whole crush thing... but I thought it was funny, lol

Let me know what you think!