Status: The one and only chapter

Gifts From the Heart

The one and only

Patricia sat on her friend Ally’s couch crying. She always ended up here, every time something major happened in her life.

“Don’t cry Paty, he was an asshole and he didn’t deserve you. You’re too good for him anyway.”

Her boyfriend Todd had just dumped her for someone else; she had really thought he was the one.

The doorbell rang and Ally left to answer it. She heard her talking to someone and then heard voices coming towards her. She quickly dried the tears from her face, not that it would help her eyes were red and swollen, but at least they won’t see actual tears.

Ally entered with three men in tow. They all had dark hair, the one’s was short and spiky, the others were swept over one eye and the last ones hair came to his collar. The last guy had the most intense blue eyes she’d ever seen.

“Patricia, these are my friends Shannon, Tomo and Jared. Guys this is my best friend, Patricia.” She introduced. There was a round of hello’s and hi’s from the guys. She just smiled and nodded at them, not trusting her voice.

“I promised them they could crash at my place while they are in town.” Ally explained.

“Oh, I’d better leave then; give you time to catch up with your friends.” She said, not really wanting to go home just yet.

“Not at all, any friend of Ally’s is a friend of ours.” The one called Jared said. “Please don’t leave on our account.”

Even in her present state she noticed that he had a lovely smile which made him look like a teenager.

“Yes, you’re definitely staying; I’m not going to allow you to be on your own tonight.” Ally said.

“I’d appreciate it, he’s probably still there getting his stuff. I told him I want him out tonight.”

“That prick better take everything, if there’s anything left when I take you home tomorrow I’ll help you toss it in the street.” She said viciously.

“Only if you promise we can make a bonfire with his stuff.” Paty replied just as viciously.

They saw the three men give them startled stares.

Ally giggled. “Paty’s ex thought it would be a good idea to bring his new girlfriend along when he broke the news that their relationship was over.”

“Harsh!” Shannon said.

“I’ll help you with that bonfire.” Jared offered.

“We need comfort food.” Tomo said. “Let’s get ice-cream, chocolate and pizza. There’s nothing that a good pizza can’t cure.”

To her amazement Patricia found herself actually smiling just a little. “You don’t have to.”

“Hey, we’ve already established that we’re friends and that’s what friends do.” Jared said sitting down next to her and giving her a hug.

“Jared, you stay with Paty and we three will make the supply run.” Ally ordered; taking charge as usual.

By the end of the night Paty felt much better, the three men had managed to lift her out of her depression and they had quickly become good friends.

Fortunately no bonfire was required, but Patricia decided to re-decorate the whole apartment, wanting nothing to remind her of her ex. She went shopping and was trying to decide on colors when she felt someone tap her on her shoulder. She turned around and saw Jared standing there.

“Hi there.”

“What are you doing here?” He asked her.

“I’m redecorating and I can’t decide on the colors for the walls.

“Let me help you.” He offered. She decided to accept his offer

He had great taste and ended up helping her with everything, even going so far as to help with the painting. It took them a week of intense work, but soon only her room was left. Jared insisted on taking charge of that part and chased her out, telling her to go shopping until he’d finished. She just laughed at his audacity. They’d become good friends, and she found that she liked him a lot, maybe more than just a friend. She hoped to explore that possibility.

At lunch she came back, but he was still busy so she started on their lunch.

“Are you finished yet, because lunch is ready?” He came into the kitchen with a very smug smile, put his hands over her eyes and led her to her room.

When he lifted his hands she almost cried. He’d painted the one wall to look like a mural with warm colors, intricate designs and symbols.

“Well what do you think?” He asked just a little anxious.

“I love it! It’s beautiful. Thank you.” She turned to him giving him a hug.

“Whenever you feel down, look at this and know that there is someone who cares for you.” He said hugging her back.

He grinned wickedly. “Now where’s my food, I’m starving!”

She laughed at him and they went to enjoy their lunch.

He sighed. “We’re leaving tomorrow, we’ve got a few venues to play and we need to get to the first one.”

She felt her heart sinking. She’d hope to spend more time with him. “Oh, that’s great for you.”

“We’ll be back here in two weeks to perform at a local club; will you come and watch us?”

“I wouldn’t miss it.” At least she’d have something to look forward to.

The day after they left the gifts started to arrive.

She was woken that morning by the doorbell ringing; still sleepy she answered the door. Outside was a delivery man. “Are you Patricia?” She nodded her head. “Please sign here.”

Then twelve dozen blood red roses were carried into her apartment. The note that came with them simply said. ‘So you may be surrounded by beauty’ She was totally stumped, who on earth would send her roses? She phoned Ally and she came over.

“Someone really really likes you, are you sure you don’t know who sent them?” She just shook her head in bewilderment.

Two days later the same delivery man was at her door. This time he just asked her to sign, and handed her a package. She opened it with shaking hands. It was a book of poetry, with some of her favorite writers in. Who was this guy, how did he know she loved poetry? This time the note read ‘To help sooth away your pain’

Exactly two days later, the delivery man was there again. He smiled. “This is getting to be a habit now. My name is Matt, and if this keeps up I’ll see you again two days from now”

She just laughed, signed and took the package. Inside she found a selection of CD’s of her favorite artists. The note read: ‘May the music sooth your soul and make it whole’

Ally came over and just looked at everything. “I don’t know who he is but he’s really romantic. I’m trying very hard not to be jealous of you right now.”

Two days later Matt stood at her door smiling with yet another package. “Matt, do you have any idea who’s sending all these packages?” She asked hopefully.

“Sorry, they phone; I pick up and deliver. That’s all I know.” She was a little disappointed at his answer.
She opened the box, and gasped in surprise. Inside were two beautiful diamond earrings. ‘Something to frame the beauty of your face’, was all that the note said.

This was getting too much for her to handle. Who was this guy, why didn’t he just come to her himself? She tried to think of someone who would do this, but couldn’t.

Two days later and Matt was there again. “Someone definitely likes you a lot.” This time it was a diamond necklace that matched the earrings perfectly and the note read: ‘To match the sparkle of your eyes.’

She phoned Ally and she rushed over. “Okay, I’m officially jealous as hell! Why can’t I find a guy like this?”

“Do you think he’ll make himself known to you soon?”

“I don’t know. Ally what if he’s like a psychopath or something?”

“Honey, I don’t think psychopaths shower you with expensive gifts before killing you.” They both laughed.

“The guys wil be back soon, their playing at a local club.”

“I know, Jared asked me to come out to watch them play.”

“You like him don’t you?” She laughed when Patricia blushed. “Someone’s got a crush!”

Two days later the doorbell rang again. She almost fell down the stairs, trying to get to the door. It wasn’t Matt though. Jared stood there.

“Oh, hi Jared.”

“You don’t seem very excited to see me again.” He said with a wry smile.

She blushed. “Not at all, it’s just that I was expecting someone else.”

He raised his eyebrows. “Who?”

She gave him a bright smile and led him into the house, telling him everything that had been happening over the past two weeks.

“And how do you feel about that?” He asked softly.

“I don’t know; he seems to know so much about me. I don’t know whether I should be afraid or happy.”

He laughed. “I brought you a gift as well, but now I’m not so sure that I should give it to you.”

“A gift! For me? Please give it. I love presents.” She was almost jumping up and down with excitement. She’d never thought he’d bring her something.

He placed a small box in her hands and watched intently while she opened it.

When she saw what was inside her eyes grew wide and her heart started to race. It was a diamond bracelet, in fact it matched the earings and necklace that she’d been given.

She looked up at him in surprise. “It was you; you sent me all those things.” She whispered. “Why?”

“Isn’t it obvious?” He asked. His eyes were a very deep shade of blue. “The first time I saw you I thought you were the most beautiful girl I’d ever seen, and I wondered what could make you so sad.”

She shook her head. “How could you think I was beautiful? My eyes were all swollen and red from crying.”

He laughed. “Even so, you were beautiful. I knew that it wasn’t the right time though. You needed time to heal and so I decided on this course of action.”

She just looked at him unable to comprehend that he actually liked her and had gone through all this trouble just for her.

“Will you give me the chance to make you fall in love with me as I’ve fallen in love with you?”

This made her smile. “You didn’t have to buy me all these gifts Jared. I liked you from the start and even before you left I wanted to get closer to you. I was so sad when you told me you had to leave. Those days we spent together redecorating were the most wonderful of my life.”

He pulled her to him and kissed her passionately. She didn’t hold back and kissed him with all the emotion in her.

“I hope you know that I plan to be around for a long time.” He said smiling back at her.

“I’m looking forward to it.”

“That’s good, because I’ve already bought the ring that matches the rest of the jewelry.” He said self assuredly. He pulled her to him again kissing her as if she was the most precious thing in the world.
♠ ♠ ♠
I hope you guys like this - I wrote if for Bluedreams quite some time back and thought I'd post it on here for you. Hope you enjoy and please let me know what you think.