Every Time That I Try

What it takes, I don't care.

"Emily!" I called after her as the door shut. I pressed my fists against the door, shutting my eyes tightly.

I wondered why I was resisting the urge to turn the knob on the door and chase her out.

I ran a hand through my hair, trying to push away the feeling of guilt that was slowly spreading throughout my body. The purple velvet box in my back pocket was feeling heavier and heavier.

She needed a change? But why? Why now?

I walked into my familiar high school, stopping to talk to my friends before heading to my locker.

Josh high-fived me, with a large smile on his face. Actually, all the guys had the same expression.

"Hello, Adam. Or should I say, future husband of the one, the only!--" Brad started, but Tyler cut in.

"The beautiful, Emily Cartwright!"

All the guys started clapping. I gave them a small smile.

"So, how did you ask the amazing beauty?" Chris asked, eager to hear the story. All of them were. I had told them all the day before. I even showed them the ring.

I sighed, pulling the velvet box out of my back pocket, where I've kept it for the past 3 days.

"I didn't," I said, showing them the ring inside the box.

"Dude, you need guts. You don't have them, though," Josh teased, poking my stomach. I rolled my eyes and leaned against the wall.

"She said she wanted a change in her life," I told them, suddenly fascinated in my sneakers.

"Well too bad for her, she's stuck with you," Tyler smiled. The rest of the guys glared at him. Tyler isn't exactly a genius.

"Did she end it with you?" Chris asked, concern in his voice.

I nodded, shoving the box back in my pocket.

"Well, if she didn't, she'd be heading straight down to hell right now." Brad nodded his head over behind my shoulder. I turned around, staring at the beautiful love of my life, with her arms around one of the boys on the football team.

I directed my attention away from them, and I stared at the guys. They were all glaring at the back of her head.

I sighed loudly, gaining their attention again, just as the bell rang.

We all rushed off to our lockers. As I was walking, I looked behind my shoulder and locked eyes with the one person I need the most.

Emily gave me a small smile and looked away, walking in the opposite direction.

Later that night, I stood out on the back deck, staring at the stars. Once again, I felt the purple box in my back pocket grow heavier as I thought of her. She seemed so far away, meanwhile she was only next door.

I heard a door click open and shut, and I glanced over to her deck. She was stepping outside, and she gave me a smile before looking down at the ground again.

I smiled at her, directing my attention back at the stars.

A few minutes later, I looked over at her. She was staring at the stars as well.

Both of us, at the same second, saw a shooting star stream across the sky.

We locked eyes with each other, and I spoke, softly but loud enough so she could hear it.

"I wish you would say yes."

I watched her open the door behind her and go back in her house. Through the window, I saw her head towards the front door.

I dashed inside my house and out the front door, just as she stepped outside.

In between our front lawns, was an empty driveway. My parents always parked in our driveway, and her parents always parked in their driveway. We had no use for it for years. I finally realized what it could be used for.

As both of us walked slowly towards each other, stopping as we met in the middle of the empty driveway, I saw her smile and hold my hand. I had other plans, though.

I pulled my hand away from hers. Her expression changed from happy to confused.

With a shy smile, I pulled the purple velvet box from my back pocket and knelt down in front of her.

"Marry me, Emily Taylor Cartwright?"

What it takes, I don't care
We're gonna make it, I swear
And we could help each other off the ground, so we never fall down again.
♠ ♠ ♠
Like it? Hate it?
Comment, tell me. :)