Status: DONE

The Challenge He'd Been Waiting For

We Started out Okay but you Through it all Away

Silence filled the hallway as Kara walked it, almost an hour later. She entered Alex and Jack's room with a simple swipe of her card, not knowing due to the text message. Her expression was completely blank, causing Alex to worry about his friend. But before he could ask her what was wrong, her fist came down against his boyfriend's arm.

"You," she growled, "Why did you have to bring her into our lives? Cassadee is ruining every single thing!"

"What happened Kar?" Jack asked, rubbing his now sore arm.

"I was going to ask Pickle or Marky if they wanted to go out tonight and hang out, and guess who I run into? No other than boyfriend-stealing Cassadee Pope. Her arm wrapped around my boyfriend's - got him caught up in some spell. That boy tried to lie to me! On what I could so clearly see; I can't believe it, and I don't want to."

Alex got off his bed and sat down next to his friend, wrapping his arm around her, "If that's how he's going to be, then you deserve better. You'll find someone who will value you, I promise you, because you're amazing. Rian is so stupid for give you up... And for that band whore?"

Instead of replying, she buried her head in his neck with a slight smile on her face. Jack sat on her other side and joined in the hug, rubbing her arm to calm her down. He was starting to feel like he was causing all of the problems his friends were experiencing. He brought Maria to Alex's attention. He decided to bring Cassadee into the circle.

The boy stood, grabbing his glasses and pulling on his clothing over his boxers. He didn't speak to his friends as he walked out the door, he didn't explain where or why he was leaving. He didn't grab his cell phone, he just needed time to himself. Jack had no idea where he was going, just that he was. The only think that he let be on his mind was that he needed to be back by noon for call times, and so Matt wouldn't flip. He knew he should stay in the hotel, because the last thing he needed was to have a large taxi fee for calling one at three in the morning.

Jack ended up at the bar on the lobby floor. After taking a seat right in front of the bartender, he ordered himself the strongest drink he could think of. The tall girl smiled at him, her sky blue hair falling in her face as she leaned over to pass the drink to him, her elbow resting on the wood of the table. She tapped her lips a few times before grinning at him as he caught her gaze.

"You're Jack, right?"

"Uh yes I am," he took a sip of his drink, "and you are not some crazy stalker, right?"

She laughed lightly, "Well no. I'm Lilly, a big fan though. Who is completely crushed that she's working right now, aside from meeting you, because I cannot attend the show tomorrow. I'll probably pass out of get hurt from fatigue in a mosh pit."

"That sucks," Jack agreed with a slight shrug.

"That's how it all goes anyway. Shouldn't you be resting though for tomorrow?"

"Usually I would be, but I just needed to get away for a little bit. A lot going on you know... Well you don't, but there is. Being in a bus with so many people, seeing so many other bands day after day -- it all creates a stressful enviorment."

"You and Cass broke up or something?"

He smiled as he played with the rim of the glass running his index finger in circles, "Yeah, but there is way more to it then that," he gripped the glass and lifted it, speaking before pressing it to his lips to it, "anyway, you don't have tickets for tomorrow?"

"No."

"I can leave tickets for you at the gate, if you like."

She looked up from the drink she was making, "Seriously? That would be awesome, but I don't want to cause you any trouble."

"You taking my useless chatter, it's the least I can do."

Kara and Alex sat in silence for a moment, before the girl pulled back and looked up into her friend's chocolaty brown eyes. She scooted over a little so that she wouldn't have to crane her neck to look at him while they talked. She wasn't quite sure how to start a conversation, or even what they should talk about, just that she wanted her mind off of everything that was going on.

"So..." the boy twisted his expression as he fiddled with his thumbs.

"What were you going to talk to me about earlier?"

"It's hardly the time now, Kar."

"No, tell me!"

Alex stared at her as she grabbed his wrists, "I don't want to upset you anymore. I've made my decision anyway, I just have to get the courage to do it."

"Please?"

"I'm going to ask Jack for his hand."

The slender girl took in a breath, realizing that it only made her friend feel worse about telling her. She put on a smile and wrapped her arms around him, to show him that she was truly happy, just a little shocked.