Status: DONE

The Challenge He'd Been Waiting For

I Wish These Words Would Come and Rescue Me

Tour went by in a blur after that, everyday seemed the same -- but it wasn't the same as it used to be. It was a new same. A same that nobody liked. Everyday teenagers and parents a like hounded them with questions, trying to see if they were truly in a relationship. Many groups of people hovered around their shows, telling them that what they were doing was wrong - and their fellow friends on tour would shoo them away.

Things hadn't gone as planned. But at least Jack wasn't mad anymore... Right?

Alex wasn't quite sure if that mattered. He just wanted to be able to walk around without everyone judging him; even if they weren't, he felt like they were. He walked with his head down, heading towards the tent where Marky had set up for their daily signing, wondering what questions people would ask him today.

"I need to talk to you," Kara said as she grabbed his arm and pulled him behind one of the trucks that held the equipment of a smaller band on the tour.

"What?"

She took his face into her hands and let out a soft breath, "I'm going away for college next semester. I really want to be here for you, but I need my space from Rian right now. I'm over the pain of him dumping me for her-- but to truly move on, I need to get away."

"I need you Kar, you're helping me so much."

She quickly kissed him besides his lips, "I'm just a phone call away, as long as I'm not in class. You have Zack to talk to, he's quite insightful as you know. Jack, you can talk to him too; he's your fiance for god sakes!"

"But-"

"I'm going to miss you a lot, Alex. Don't make this any harder on me."

He wrapped his arms tightly around her, "I won't. I'm sorry. Just make sure you get a hold of me everyday, I want to know that you're okay in a foreign country."

"Foreign country?"

The two looked over at Zack, he was staring at them in confusion. He stuffed his tee shirt into his back pocket as he waited for them to reply to him.

"I'm going away for my next semester," Kara clarified.

"Really?"

Alex noted how his friend looked a little upset.

"I'll be here until the end of tour, so we've got plenty of time to enjoy with each other. Let's not spend it all upset now!"

"How can I not be glum? People are so rude now."

Zack placed a hand on his friend's shoulder as they started to walk again, "Alex, ignore them. All that matters is that you and Jack are happy and in love. No one else is apart of your relationship - their words will only affect you if you let them - do let it go. Don't stress over the little things. You've got a child to worry about, that's all I want to see you fussing over."

The father made a face.

"She'll be fine, bro, I didn't mean to make you upset, I was just saying."

"I know, I'm fine."

~x~

The end of tour meant home and safety; out of the public eye the boys could live their lives carelessly. Even if it meant losing the girl who had been keeping Alex sane since the day he realized he was in love with his male best friend.

She stood in the doorway, her long brown hair done up in a bun so it wouldn't be in her face. Kara watched as Alex and Jack scooped the toddler out of her aunt's car. Mia kissed her niece on the forehead and waved towards the house.

"Long time no see," the dark haired girl called with a slight laugh.

"I know, how have you been Mia?" Kara walked from the door way and grabbed the bags of the little girl's belongings.

"Fine really, help taking care of this little terror."

Alexis giggled as her aunt tickled her sides, she pulled free and wrapped her arm's around her father's legs. Alex bent down and picked her up, she clung to his torso with her eyes shut.

"I miss you Daddy."

"I missed you too baby," he replied hugging Mia briefly and walking to his house with one of the bags in his hand.

Kara followed after him carrying a box marked Stuffed Animals with a small smile on her face as she remembered all of the tea times she had held ad a little girl. She placed it down outside of the room Alex and Jack had picked to be the toddler's.

"How are you guys going to do her room?" she asked as Jack came in with the rest of the things.

"We were going to ask you for your help, but since you're going to be away we'll get May."

"Are you going to come with us?" Alex glanced at his friend as she marveled over the little girl.

"Where?"

"The doctor's, it's about an hours drive. When are you leaving?"

"Two days, and I'll come," she smiled at them.

As Jack bent to pick up his step-daughter to be she pulled away from him, running across the room and stooping down behind one of the couches. Kara held up her hand at the boys and followed the little girl. She knelt by the arm of the couch and looked at the curls of Alexis' medium brown hair.

"Why are you hiding?"

Alexis stood up about to run, Kara cut her off.

"Shh, it's okay. I won't tell your daddies where you are hiding."

"I no like doctor."

"Why, honey?"

"They put prickly things in my arms," she indicated the spot above her elbow where her veins were visible, "it hurts."

"But they want to help you, Alexis."

"I'm not sick."

Kara made a sympathetic face, "What if I gave you something that would make you not feel the pain? It will help the doctors too, and everything will be fine."

"What is it?" her little eyes brightened up.

The tall girl picked Alexis up and carried her over to Alex and Jack, "It's in my car, I'll give it to you when we get in the car, okay?"

She smiled and nodded.

After the boys placed the toddler in her car seat Kara handed over a small little stuffed animal. It was a golden rabbit, not wearing it's years well. She bent down so that she was eye level with Alexis.

"This bunny was my friend when I was a little girl just like you. You can talk to Abby whenever you want, she always listens. She'll help you too, as long as you believe."

"T'ank you Kara."

"You're welcome honey."

She shut the car door and turned to face the boys.

"How do you do it?" Alex asked her and she smiled at him. "I need you around here."

"You're our Abby," Jack told her with a serious expression.

"Thank you," the other boy said hugging her before climbing into his vehicle.