Status: DONE

The Challenge He'd Been Waiting For

Won't Leave You, Know How Hard it's Been

Alex and Jack sat side by side in the small hospital room, their fingers laced, as they waited for the doctor to return from x-rays with Alexis. The doctor explain to the boys that the toddler needed to go through a series of scans so the doctors could analyze her every structure. Kara was pacing the length of the room, feeling the seriousness of the child's illness - since it they had been in the hospital for over two hours.

When Alexis returned she looked exhausted, her brown hair was a tangle of curls on top of her head and her hospital gown was all wrinkled. The slender girl handed her stuffed bunny back to the toddler as she helped her climb into the bed. Doctor Ambrose waved for the fathers to step out in the hall with him. Alex kissed his daughter on the forehead for obliging. Jack grabbed his fiance's hand again, hoping that somehow his warmth and support could change the situation.

"Well Doc?"

The man removed his glasses and slowly ran his hand down his face, "We've discovered why Alexis is not well; and sadly it is not an easy fix. She had a rare degree of this illness, since this involves her lungs and major organs it's severe. With a pediatrician's equipment, you cannot blame them for finding out sooner - even if they did, it's not reverse-able."

"But what exactly is it?"

Jack could barely wrap his mind around the doctor's answer. They stared at the man in the white coat as he explained every detail of the illness and how the fathers could deal with the symptoms. Alex buried his face in his boyfriend's shoulder, trying to hide his pain. When he pulled back, his face was composed; but the evidence laid in his puffy eyes and Jack's now wet shoulder. The doctor apologized to the boys and walked down the hallway to another room.

"She's napping," Kara spoke softly as she stepped out into the hall, "Oh Alex, please tell me those were joyful tears."

He shook his head, causing his friend to wrap her arms around his neck and kiss him on the cheek. The boys re-entered the room to watch the little girl's sleeping form. Kara went outside to call Maria and Mia to inform them of Alexis' sickness.

~x~

Alex woke up to a hand tightly around his arm, he shot up out of his bed and looked at Alexis. She pink Disney Princesses nightgown was covered in a dark liquid, he shot out of bed and carried her into the bathroom. He sat her on the sink and flicked on the light, he winced at the blood that was caked in her hair.

"Are you okay?"

"My tummy hurts," she mumbled, still covering her eyes from the light of the bathroom.

He sighed and pulled her nightgown over her head, wiping the excess blood off of her face and chest with a wash cloth. He rinsed her hair out with a cup of water and dried it the best he could before carrying her back to her room. Alex set her down as he rummaged through her dresser for a new nightgown.

"Do you feel like you're going to throw up again?"

Alexis shook her head.

"I'm going to get you a glass of water honey, can you get your pajamas on?"

He left the room when she told him that she could. He filled one of her sippy cups with water and a couple ice cubes before going back into her room and kneeling down. He handed it to her and kissed her forehead. She smiled softly at him before drinking the contents of her cup.

"Do you want to sleep in my bed tonight?"

"Please daddy."

Alex picked her up once again, and laid her down on his bed. He crawled in next to her and wrapped his arms around her as he held her to his chest. He couldn't understand why someone so young should have to go through something so bad; no, he didn't understand why anyone had to.

He laid there for several hours, not able to sleep. He couldn't take his eyes off of Alexis, afraid that she might wake up again and he wouldn't hear her. As the sun came up, he attempted sleep, but it still wouldn't come to him. He just wanted her to be okay, he wanted nothing to harm her.

"Good morning," Jack opened his eyes to the little girl, she was leaning on his chest smiling at him.

"Mornin' Jacky."

He smiled at her and sat up, watching her slip to his lap. Once he caught sight of Alex, he knew something was wrong. He brought Alexis to the kitchen and sat her down at the small table they'd bought for her and gave her a bowl of cereal. He walked back into the bedroom and sat down next to his fiance.

"What?"

"I'm worried about her, is all. She woke me up last night, she'd thrown up blood like the doctor said she would... I just didn't know it would be so bad. But in the morning she was perfectly fine, all bubbly. I don't understand."

"At least she's not in pain all of the time."

"I know."

"We just have to make the best of the situation: try to make a lot of good memories with her by keeping her happy, and comfort her when she's not feeling well."

Alex wrapped his arms around Jack and leaned on him, "Thank you."

"Just relax okay? I'll take care of her for a couple hours, you get some sleep. I'll take her to the store and buy her the doll house Mia was talking about. We can all put it together, of course Alexis will have to approve."

Jack kissed his boyfriend and changed into a pair of jeans and a random tee shirt from the basket of clean clothing. He grabbed his own bowl of cereal and sat down on the floor, bending over so he was using her table too. Alexis giggled at him and spit out her mouth full of milk, shaking her head.

"You're silly."

"As long as it puts a smile on your face," he replied.

"Where's daddy?"

"He's taking a nap," he poked her cheeks when she frowned, "but you and I are going to the toy store today. We are going to buy you that doll house Aunt Mia said you liked."

"Can we buy Bee a new outfit?"

Jack smiled at her and nodded, thinking it was adorable that she called her Barbie dolls Bee. When they finished eating he picked her up and made her fly into her bed room.

"What do you want to wear today?"

"Mommy, Mia, and Ga'ma pick."

"How about you pick it out today, whatever you want!"

The little girl grinned at him and made a mess out of her drawers as she looked for her perfect outfit. She ended up in an pink tee shirt with green jeans and purple tutu like skirt. Jack helped her put on her sandals and he walked her out to the car.
♠ ♠ ♠
I know it's short, but I am half asleep at the moment. I knew I hadn't updated for awhile, and this is all I could come up with.