Status: DONE

The Challenge He'd Been Waiting For

Close Your Eyes and Dream

Alexis was weak when she woke up, she didn't want any of the food that the nurses brought in for her. She was sitting up with the assistance of the bed and piled pillows, her eyes were on the television that was showing on a kids channel. She was acting like nothing happened, she wouldn't reply to anyone when they asked her how she was.

Maria kissed her daughter's forehead and knelt down by the boys, "I'm going home now, keep me updated on her status. I'll come by in a week or two to see her."

"I. Hate. You," Alex growled at her in a low voice.

She smiled widely at him and turned on her heel as she got to her feet, leaving the room. Jack could tell from the mood his boyfriend was in that he should just be quiet; leaving the television to fill the silence of the room. Alex was not only annoyed at Maria since she went behind his back, but from his phone call with his lawyer.

The man told Alex that he should be grateful for the time he was given with his daughter. They said that the court could not give him full custody because he was rarely home due to tour - and the tour bus was not a good home for a sick child. Alexis would most likely be given to Maria since she had custody from birth and Alex didn't fight for her sooner... even though he wasn't aware he had a child.

Things were not going well for him at all. Once he thought he caught a break something else fell through the cracks and darkened his day. He needed one full day of sunshine.

"What now?" Alex whispered.

"Keep an eye on her, God knows what that stuff will do."

He turned to stare at Jack, "Why couldn't I have had a say in it? I paid to find out what was wrong with her, I'm paying for the hospital visit... She is equally my child, I should have had to sign that paper work too."

"You're not legally her guardian. Maria probably waited a year or so and told the court that you were never in the picture - you know how she's persuasive."

"Why didn't Mia call you? Or someone from school get a hold of us?"

"Maria moved in with her boyfriend, she kept it from everyone. Mia was explaining everything to me the day that we got Alexis after tour."

Alex sat back and crossed his arms, watching his daughter fight the sleep that was overwhelming her. He pinched the bridge of his nose after pulling his glasses off of his face. He looked back at his boyfriend and took a deep breath, knowing his words wouldn't go over well.

"I just want a normal life. I am too young to have a child this old, I am too young to deal with this. I want to be out of the spotlight where I can love who ever I want. I want my brother to still be alive, to support me whenever I need it."

"You have me."

"I know I do, it's just not the same as him."

Jack rested his elbows on his knees, "I love you with all of my heart, but if you'd be happier with Kara I underst-"

"Kara? I don't want to be with Kara."

"You sure act like it sometimes, I see that you two have something."

"Babe, she was the only one who was completely fine with us as we are, okay? I know that I can trust her with anything."

"You can trust me too!" Jack grabbed Alex's hands, "I don't get why you don't see that."

"I do."

"You just have a problem with this, I can tell. You were fine, but now that people aren't liking it you want to back out of it. I get it, here," he pulled his ring off and held it out, "I understand, just know that I'll always love you."

"Jack-" he started to protest.

"I'll see you at home, I'll catch a ride from May."

Alex let out a loud sigh and looked over at his toddler, she was now sleeping peacefully. He pulled a chair up by her bed side and laid his head down on the mattress, soaking in the sound of her breathing as to calm himself down. He grabbed her hand in his and closed his eyes, hoping that sleep would bring him a better memory.

~x~

"Hello?" Zack flipped open his cell phone, not bothering to pay attention to the caller-ID.

"Can I ask a huge favor of you?"

"Who is this?"

"It's Kara silly!"

"How are you?"

"I was fine until Alex called me and told me what was going on back home," she paused, "about that favor, are you free tomorrow?"

"Yeah..."

"Good, I can get my classes online, and my teachers said I could have a week or two out of class as long as I e-mail them my work. I need you to pick me up from the airport," she clarified, "it's a surprise, so don't tell anyone."

"I'd be glad to pick you up."

Kara shut her phone a couple minutes later and turned around in her computer chair, examining the college room she had only been in for a short few weeks. She didn't want to leave because she knew she had a hard enough time adapting to the time zone difference. But she knew that her friend needed her, and to her, that was more important.