Status: DONE

The Challenge He'd Been Waiting For

Did We Enjoy Ourselves When We Destroyed Ourselves?

Kara stepped into the terminal with an excited expression on her face. She had missed home only because the familiar-ness made her feel safe, while Australia made her feel overwhelmed with adventure. As she headed towards the luggage claim, muscular arms wrapped around her torso and lifted her up into a backwards hug.

Zack set the brown haired girl down and smiled at her, "I missed you so much around here!"

"I missed you too, Zacky."

"You keep us all sane around here," he paused and took her bags from her hands, "how was the college?"

"Great, everyone was friendly. Some people even recognize me."

He laughed, "I think people notice you more than Rian. Speaking of, where are you staying?"

Kara shrugged, "I have no idea, I'll probably go home."

"How about my place?"

"You have roommates."

He opened the car door for her and placed her bags in the back seat before sitting and starting the vehicle, "I can sleep on the couch, you can have my bed. It's no problem, unless you'd rather stay with the troubled couple."

"They're not any better?"

When he shook his head, Kara frowned. A part of her was wishing that she didn't have to mend the broken pieces, knowing that Jack was probably going to get upset over it. But she couldn't leave Alex a mess. The rest of their ride was silent when Zack pulled in the driveway, the girl leaned over to kiss his cheek in thanks, but his face turned, causing them to kiss.

Kara pulled away with a flushed face, "I'll, um, call you later and let you know the verdict."

"Do you want your bags?"

"I don't want them to think they need me here as long as it looks like I am going to be, I know Jack wouldn't try to work things out at all."

She exited the car and walked up the sidewalk. Jack answered her knock, he took one look at her and slammed the door; she stepped back, a little confused by the intense screaming that followed it. She glanced towards Zack as the door opened again, Alex enveloped her into his chest.

"What are you doing here?"

"I cam to be your support group," Kara glanced over his shoulder into the house, "where is Alexis?"

Alex let out a long sigh and led her into the living room, "She is in the hospital, Maria went against me and had the experiment done on her. The doctors are monitoring her for a few days, she should be coming home tomorrow."

"Oh," she patted his knee, "why did the door get slammed in my face, if I may ask?"

"Jack thinks that I am in love with you, that I am going to leave him for you."

She jerked her hand back into her own lap.

Alex twisted his face, "You don't think that too, do you? Look. You were the only one who listened-"

"You have Jack now," she exclaimed, "so unless you two are going through a flunk, you go to him first."

The lanky boy stepped into the room and stared at her for a moment before speaking, "You wouldn't take Alex from me if he wanted you?"

"No, of course not. Besides, I like someone else."

"Who?"

"That is not up for conversation - how about what all that yelling was. I am here now, so talk!"

~x~

Kara shot up in Zack's bed, once her eyes registered the Polaroid photo covered wall and the skate boards nailed to the ceiling, she realized that her nightmare wasn't real. She patted into the living room, not bothering to pull on a robe over her Ravens tee shirt and purple shorts. She knelt by the couch and poked Zack's sleeping form a few times. He sat up and brushed aside the hair that was sticking to his forehead.

"Are you okay?"

"I had a nightmare, I can't shake it."

She frowned at his smirk and walked back into the bedroom, collapsing onto the bed. She didn't look at him when he laid down next to her, putting his arm over her waist.

"I wasn't trying to upset you," Zack waited until she turned to face him, "don't cry Kar. I don't like to see you cry."

She nestled her head into his chest, letting her tears soak into his skin. Zack gingerly rubbed her shoulder until she silenced, he left his arm over her hand and placed the other on on her thigh, waiting for her to speak.

"What was it about?" he prompted.

Kara looked at him for a moment before replying, "Alexis was- We were all at the funeral. I feel so horrible for even dreaming that up, I can only imagine how Alex sleeps at night."

"Alex is all hyped up on coffee, he doesn't even know when he falls asleep. And Jack just stares into space and ignores everything unless he is cheering up his fiance or is playing with little Alexis."

"I don't know why they have to go through this."

She could feel Zack shrug as she hugged him to her chest. When she started to fall into a trance just before sleep, he went to slip out of bed, but Kara tightened her grip.

"Please don't leave me."

He kissed her forehead, "I'm here for you Kara."

"That's what Ri said."

Zack watched as she drifted into her heavy sleep, realizing that beneath her warm smile, there was a storm going on. He knew, from watching her after the break up with Rian, that she was good at bottling up her emotions. All she cared about doing was putting everyone else first. But as he held on to her, he knew that she was more than deserving of an open ear and someone to confide in.

"I'll be here," he whispered, kissing the top of her head before putting the blanket over them, "until you don't want me here anymore."
♠ ♠ ♠
Hey guys, so so so sorry! I've had this in my notebook from my first day at my new school, but I didn't get a chance to post it.

As you can tell, I'm showing more Zack than usual because everyone keeps leaving him out. Also, I am going to be doing a story about Zack so keep an eye out for that - it won't be up for awhile since I am going to write it all before publishing it. I'll leave the link if anyone wants to subscribe to it, it's based off of my one-shot. Clickyy