Status: DONE

The Challenge He'd Been Waiting For

I Used to Dream but Now I Only Have Nightmares

Kara woke up to a soft snore in her ear, she opened her eyes and peered at Zack's sleeping form. She couldn't help but smile at him before removing his arm and sitting up. As her bare feet pressed against the chilled wood floor, his voice caused her to jump.

"I'm just getting up, I'm okay," she replied to his concerned question.

He sat up and smiled at her, "You know you can talk to me about anything, right? Everyone always goes to you, you come to me. I don't care what time it is - just call me."

"Thank you, Zack."

She smiled widely at him and grabbed a fresh outfit from her suitcase and headed towards the bathroom to get changed. When she walked back into the bedroom, the bassist was staring blankly at his phone. She knelt on the bed in front of him, waiting for him to acknowledge her and come out of his trance.

"Merrick?"

He glanced up at her but didn't say anything, he set his eyes back on his phone as the display light faded.

"What?"

"Nothing Kar," he cleared his throat and shut his phone.

She leaned forward and brought his face up so they were eye to eye. Tilting her head she trailed her index finger along his jawline and dropped it once she got to his chin.

"You can talk to me too."

Zack closed his eyes as he spoke, not wanting to see her expression. "Alex and Jack got a phone call last night saying that Alexis was in perfect health and free to come home after noon. At about seven in the morning they got a phone call from the nurse -- she fell into a coma."

She covered her mouth as an odd sound escaped her lips.

"By the time-" his voice quivered. "By the time they got to the hospital..." Zack stopped speaking when he noticed her tears.

"It's my fault," her voice seemed foreign as it fluctuated with each syllable.

"Kara, your dream didn't make this happen."

The boy took her into his lap as her tears caused her to shake. He squeezed his eyes shut, not wanting to cry; the last thing he wanted was for her to try to comfort him.

~x~

Alex was sitting against the pale dresser staring blankly at his daughter's bed. His eyes were wide and glassed over, his face was pale and blotchy at the same time. When Jack walked into the room, the father realized that he was starting to rock back and forth in effort to calm himself down and not break every piece of furniture in the room and start crying.

"Alex," he started, but froze, not quite sure what to say, "This isn't your fault, you did all that you could."

"Maria," he muttered as if her name was a venomous poison.

"Everything will be okay."

Alex pulled away as his ex attempted to pat his shoulder. He stood and walked through the house to the front yard. Gaskarth passed his car and just kept walking at a steady pace with a distant expression. He was heading toward the park that was several blocks away, Jack's footsteps didn't even cause him to react, he just kept going. The lanky boy's slender fingers gripped his hand in an effort to pull him back to earth.

"I can't do this anymore."

"Honey-"

"My brother, my daughter... I cannot lose anyone else. I could barely live then but I overcame it with you - and now you don't want me anymore, I don't get why you don't trust me. I don't know if I can live through this one - I thought I had longer with her. If you were to di-"

"Don't even talk like that Alex."

"I can't do it."

Jack stepped in front of him and took his face into his hands, "Stop. This is hard, I've been there for you both times. You're going to be fine, this what happens in life, everyone has to die."

"She was just a baby!" he screamed, not caring that it was the middle of the night.

"I know, but she's not suffering anymore. Alexis loved you so much, and she knew that you would do anything for her. She's in a better place now, that's all. You'll see her again."

"I never took her to the aquarium."

Jack shut his mouth and stared at Alex as he trembled slightly. He reached over and pulled his friend into his chest, not knowing what he could say or do.

"I love you Alex, I'm sorry that I can't make this any better."

"Just don't leave me, take me back. Wear your ring... Stop acting like I don't love you back. There is no one else out there for me. Kara will always have a special place in my heart, but just not like that -- not what you think I have for her."

"I was just so upset... So confused."

"I know," Alex gazed over at the swing set as the night breezed caused the chains to creak.

~x~

Kara took the green tea from Zack and brought her legs into her chest. He climbed into the bed and put his arm around her waist, pulling her against him, resting his chin on the top of her head. Zack was waiting patiently for her to speak, it'd been almost twelve hours since Alexis' news had spread, but the girl could barely get a word out.

The brunette set her mug down on the night stand and leaned back against her friend, cuddling up to his warmth. The boy absently kissed her forehead, causing her to look up at him. Kara paused for a moment before pulling his face down and attaching their lips. He made a soft noise as her hand trailed up his bare chest to the back of his neck.

Zack pulled away when he felt himself reacting to her touch, "I'm sorry, I um, it's just-"

"I shouldn't have kissed you. I was just getting the wrong vibe, I guess," she picked up her mug and went out into the living room where Zack's roommates were engrossed in a video game.

He covered his face, feeling foolish. He's always liked her more than his should for being his best friend's girlfriend. Zack just felt awkward, in a sense, but he also didn't want her distress to cause her to go farther than she would with him if she was fine.
♠ ♠ ♠
Okay. You won't like this... The next chapter is the final chapter.