Status: DONE

The Challenge He'd Been Waiting For

The Worst is Over, You Can Have the Best of Me

Mia sat in her mother's kitchen, staring blankly at the two phones that were on the island in front of her. She could no longer read the screens, because the display light had long since shut off, and she never flicked the light of the room on upon her entry. She could clearly remember the text from Jack i dnt kno if maria told u, alexis died this morning. call me 2 talk. Beside her Sidekick sat her sister's personal Envy (the one her work couldn't get her on, and to keep her from getting annoying stalkers) which had one missed call from the hospital and several nasty messages from Alex.

The twin shot up off the bar stood she was on when Maria slammed the door shut behind her, coming home well past three in the morning. She strode into the mud room and slammed her surprised sister into the door, smiling as the girl cried out in pain. Maria attempted to pull free, but she didn't have a chance, her sister was the one who worked out to stay in shape.

"Do you know what happened today?" Mia jabbed the personal phone into her sister's rib cage.

"I made a couple thousand dollars at the club. I worked the one-on-one rooms and the main floor, I cleaned up." she waved her business cell, "Whats you're problem?"

"Alexis died."

"Oh. Well we knew it would happen anyway."

Mia drew back and slapped her sister, disgusted by her disregard for her daughter. She stepped back as her nose caught the scent of too strong perfume trying to cover up the smell that clung to the show girl. "You killed your child, how do you not care?"

"I've already buried my feelings for this, back when Alex first took her to the hospital."

The pajama clad girl grabbed the business cell and threw it to the ground, stomping on it, ignoring the pain that was accumulating on the heel of her foot.

"What! How am I supposed to know when my clients need me?"

"Go stand on a street corner, Mare."

With that, the aunt turned around and headed for her room. She took a spoonful of the cookie dough she kept in her small fridge and sat down on her futon bed. Maria did all of this, she thought, why couldn't I have been the one foolish enough to get pregnant as a teenager? She looked over at the photo of her and Jack, their arms around each other, a couple weeks after they started going out, We could have done it.

~x~

Alex stared at the casket that was in front of the rows of chairs. He watched the squirrels dance around on the wet grass, happy that the rain had finally ceased. Jack sat next to him, hands firmly locked together, watching the entrance where security guards were keeping paparazzi at bay, as if he was waiting for Alexis to come skipping over to them.

"We gather you all here today to celebrate the life of Alexis Mi-aria Gaskarth..."

Everyone pulled away form their individual thoughts to follow the ceremony. Kara took place at the podium and read a poem about childhood. Jack went up with Mia to talk about all of the things the child could have accomplished if she'd been given a chance. Last to go, Alex walked up to the podium, his hands shaking as he faced everyone.

"Alexis changed me for the better. Though she was so little, she helped teach me what family is. Family is about loving someone with all of your heart no matter what their flaws are, and making sure that you keep them as happy as possible. I wish that I was graced with her presence for a longer period of time and could have helped her with everything that Mia and Jack said." He walked over to the closed casket, kissing his hands and pressing them against the wood, "I love you."

Jack wrapped his fiance up in his arms when he say back down. One by one, everyone approached the casket and said their respects. They turned and spoke to Alex, Jack, and Mia; apologizing for their loss and offering them advice. Alex was surprised when his mother and father approached him, he didn't even know they knew about Alexis - he hadn't spoke to them since his brother passed.

"We're so sorry dear."

"How?"

Mrs. Gaskarth patted her son's cheek, "Mia and Kara came by the other night, asking me to come. After getting an e-mail from one of the family members that follows your career with an article attached about Alexis and you and Jack... Your father and I were waiting for a phone call from you with an explanation or just to fill us in."

"His death wasn't my fault."

"We see that now. Now that you've lost a child you can understand how hard it is, how easy it is to blame someone."

Alex nodded and looked down at his lap, running his fingers over the petals of the flowers he has bought that morning as he waited for his parents to walk away. By the time he looked up, the crowd has faded. Everyone was heading to the VFW for the dinner. He watched Kara set her bunny by the pile of flowers and walk away into Zack's arms. His fiance took his hand as they went to lay down the baby's breathe and colorful roses they'd got earlier that morning.

"Can we please talk about it?"

Kara took a couple spoonfuls of the pasta salad onto her plate but did not reply. She passed a few of the meals and took some of the broiled chicken. Zack stared at her the whole time, waiting for a reply.

"Kara, please don't ignore me."

"We'll talk at home, okay?" she looked around, "There are too many people here, we don't need anyone to eavesdrop."

Just as she set her plate down, across the table Cassadee did the same, followed by Rian. The tall girl wanted to pick up her food and change tables, but she couldn't show that the girl got to her. Every bone in her body ached for letting the fake in and being friends, just so she could steal Rian from her.

"Hey," Cass said, "how have you been?"

Fighting a glare Kara shrugged, "I've been better; Alexis was such a sweetheart."

Zack sat down next to Rian and started to eat his food, bringing the slender girl's attention to her ex. The whole table could easily tell he he was uncomfortable since he wasn't even trying to hide it.

"So Zack-"

"I don't like you," he cut the singer off with a blunt statement, "Don't try to make friends with me and manipulate me into getting something you want."

"Merrick!"

"Dawson!" he echoed.

Kara slammed her fist down, causing her silver wear to chatter, "I can't take this."

Everyone turned from their food to look at her, Alex started to approach her and ask if she was okay; but she stood up before he could get to her and planted her palms on the table, leaning forward to speak.

"I strongly dislike you Cassadee Pope, I've tried to forgive you for what you've done and get to know you again and bring back our friendship. But I can't, it's never going to happen. No on here wants you in our lives, You used us all to get to Rian -- did you not see how happy he and I were? Since high school!" she shook her head, trying to even her tone, "You're such a horrible musician that people had to find you band mates, people wouldn't volunteer to be with you personally. No one said Hey, I want to play with her, she's talented."

"I-" the freckled girl started.

"Shut up, already. Did you not hear that no one cares?" Zack stood too and took Kara's hand, leading her out to his car, "God, I love you for that."

She smiled, "I never do that to people, she's the exception."

"We filled you to the bring complaining about her, huh?"

She nodded.

"Way to go Kare-Bear!" Jack walked outside clapping.

"Let's all not get too hyped, today is a day to mourn," she argued, pulling away from their hugs.

"I'll take you home before Pope decides to come after you."

~x~

Kara was curled up the sweats she'd stolen from Zack before she went back to college. In front of her was one of the books her mother had given her, one that was supposedly life inspiring. Andee, her redheaded roommate, walked into the room and took the book from her hands.

"Someone is at the door for you."

"Who?"

"Some American."

Kara walked across the small dorm, trying to figure out who would come visit her without telling her. As she pulled back the door, she was met by Zack's smiling face. He held out a dozen of her favorite flowers, causing her to step back as she realized how she never let him talk to her about the kiss. He took her hands into his own and stared deeply into her eyes, gathering himself.

"From the first time I saw you, I knew you'd never be off of my mind. I thought that I loved you, since I had never felt that way about anyone. When you kissed me, I knew that it was love, it is love." he kissed her softly, "Please be my girlfriend."
♠ ♠ ♠
Thank InsomniaticNightmare, because she convinced me to write a couple more chapters. Two more, at most guys, so prepare yourselves. I don't want to end it, but I ran out of ideas four chapters in.