Status: DONE

The Challenge He'd Been Waiting For

Take My Breath Away

Alex wiped his sweaty palms against his black dress pants before looking at his reflection and readjusting the tie he was wearing. He ran his fingers through his bleached hair, letting out a sigh as he settled on his own brown eyes, imagining how cute Alexis would have looked as a little flower girl. Some days he avoided mirrors all together, because all he could see was the little toddler with the same upset expression as him.

He turned around and jumped slightly at the sight of Kara. She was wearing a sea foam green dress and her make up was done in gold shades. She smiled at him and wrapped him up in a warm hug. Kara took his face into his hands and ran her fingers over his cheek bone.

"You look a little worried, don't be, alright? This is going to be the best day of your life, and the beginning of your family."

"Our family?"

"You know what I mean, Alex. I don't really know what to say. Just don't be nervous... Maybe I should go get Zack?"

He laughed slightly, "You look more nervous than I do," he took her hands from his face and stared down at her ring finger, "Kara-"

She pulled her hand back, "Jack says he can't wait to see you, the ceremony starts in ten minutes so don't be late."

"But your finger, you have a ring!"

"I'll talk to you about it when you get back from your honeymoon, okay?"

She strode from the room and shook her head at herself, she didn't even think of taking the engagement ring off before going in there. Kara didn't want to take away from her friend's big day, but she had done so without the intention too. She knew that by dinner everyone would be asking her how Zack purposed. Were they really only dating for three months before thinking about marriage?

The girl hated that their own parents kept telling them to call off the engagement and spend more time together as a couple. But Zack and Kara had known each other for a long time, they had experienced each other in relationships so they knew what to expect. No one could make them call it off, not even Rian telling Kara he wanted her back.

A sleeved arm pulled her off balance, she caught herself against Zack's side and looked up, waiting for him to kiss her. Once he did they walked over to their seats in the front isle, on the opposite row as Rian and Cassaddee.

To everyone's surprise, the wedding eased on without any mishaps. Alex and Jack completely left out the flower girl and ring barer, afraid that someone might get upset at the sight of a little girl. The boys were both nervous, but they only let that show in their eyes, because they didn't want anyone doubting them.

"You've been the biggest influence on me, Jack," he started his vows with a steady voice, but slowly it started to shake, "from day one, you were always supporting me. You were there for me no matter what, you tried everything to make the best of the worst situations. If it wasn't for you, I probably wouldn't be here right now. I love you."

"I love you, too."

"Jack, do you have any vows to say to Alex?"

The lanky boy mumbled something about always promising to love Alex, he was still a little uneasy about showing their affection in front of so many people when they knew it was a serious relationship.

~x~

Alex walked down the driveway and peered into Zack's backyard, he caught sight of Kara reading her book. He hopped over the small fence and eased down into the beach chair besides her. As she turned the page of her book, she noticed him, her reaction caused her to fall out of her own chair. Laughing, Alex helped her up off of the ground.

"Sorry I startled you."

"You planned on startling me, otherwise you would have said hi!"

"Yeah, I know," he replied, still laughing as he dodged the punch she threw at him.

"How was the honeymoon?" she asked, sitting in her chair again, hoping the change of subject would cause him to stop laughing at her.

"It was fun, I wish we could move there."

She smiled.

Alex captured her ring and spun the diamond over her finger, "So. When did this happen?"

"A couple weeks before the wedding."

"Why didn't you start wearing it then?"

"Our parents were giving us a hard time, we just stopped listening to them and got a ring about a week before you noticed it."

"I always thought Zack had something for you. I'm glad he does, because he won't ever let you down. I know we all expected that from Rian, but Zack, he wouldn't hurt a fly. You both are full of such wisdom, I don't see anything wedging you apart."

She hugged him, "Thank you."

"You're welcome. Oh, guess what happened."

"What?"

"Jack and I got a phone call a few days before we came home, an adoption agency told us that we're going to have a baby in a few weeks."

"Wait- I didn't even know you guys applied to one."

"I didn't know either. Jack did it before Alexis came along, he wanted our names to be in the system so that by the time we were married we wouldn't have to wait a few years. Now that I look back at it, it makes sense; for almost a month Jack was talking about kids."

"You're okay, though?"

"Yeah. It's a little boy, and it probably won't look anything like Alexis or me. I won't have to deal with that, I should be fine."

She hugged him, "Everything is falling into place. I feel like we're finally adults."
♠ ♠ ♠
One more chapter after this. No one can talk me out of that.
Anyway, check out my friend's band. I finally asked him what the name was and I looked it up, they're awesome.