Status: DONE

The Challenge He'd Been Waiting For

It's What Kills me Slowly

Alex tossed the football at his son and glanced at Jack as he worked on the food on the grill. He caught the ball Johnny threw at him and ran towards his son, pretending to tackle him and sending the five year-old into giggles. Placing the boy he walked over to Jack and took a deep breath, grabbing a plate, which his husband placed a burger on.

“There you go, Johnny,” Alex said as he set the boy down on the picnic table.

He walked back over to his husband and placed a kiss on Jack’s stubbly cheek, “When is everyone getting here?”

“I don’t know,” the blond boy replied, “Kara called and said she and Zack were on their way, they’re stopping at their place quickly first.”

“Of course the honeymooners will make it on time.”

“Everyone better make it!” Alex picked up one of the buns and took a bite of it, not bothering to put any meat in it, “Rian might not though.”

“Because…”

He looked up with brown eyes and shrugged, knowing he shouldn’t spread around the things his friends were telling him. He walked back over to his son at sat down, helping cut up the rest of the burger.

“Are you coming with me?”

“Where?”

“To school, daddy-a!” Johnny replied as if everyone knew what he was thinking, “I don’t want to go alone.”

“You’ll be just fine. Jack and I will be here for your first week of school, but then we have to go to work, Grams will take good care of you until we can get home.”

“I want to go on tour with you and daddy-j!”

He smiled, “You did all summer, you wanted to go home the whole time. You missed Peyton and Baz.”

“They can come, too!”

“Who can come too?” Jack asked as he sat down on the opposite side of the table, “We can’t go to school,” he clarified, guessing that was the topic of conversation.

“You’d get in Jacky, don’t deny it.”

“Mia!” the little boy cried as he scattered the remains of his burger while getting off of the bench and running over to her.

Alex glared down at the ketchup and mustard marks the meat left on his pale shirt and got to his feet, greeting Mia with a hug and heading into the house. He pulled of his shirt and sat down on his bed, he glanced out the window as a couple cars drove into his large driveway. He let out a sigh and ran his hand through his hair as he stood up and went over to his closet, pulling on a Glamour Kills shirt.

Gaskarth ignored his reflection as he walked passed the mirror in his room, still seeing Alexis in his appearance. He was at peace with the whole situation, but he still missed her, she was his only chance at having a child with his genetics. Johnny was more than he could ask for with his beaming blue eyes and jet black hair, the boy never thought twice about the fact that he had two dads… he was just worried that it would all changed once school started. He was afraid how teachers would take it, some would probably be afraid that he and Jack would raise him to believe that he couldn’t date women.

He took the stairs two at a time and put on a smile as she walked out of the glass doors into his grand back yard. Johnny was running around chasing Baz as the adults circled around the grill, taking food as Jack finished cooking it. His eyes instantly landed on Kara as she laughed at something Jack had said to Zack; from the glare on the bassist’s face he could tell it probably was funny. He approached them and wrapped the tall brunette up in his arms and placed a kiss on her neck.

“How does it feel to be married?”

“Amazing!” she replied as she turned around to hug Alex back, “How does it feel to know your son is going off to school?”

“He’s growing up way too fast,” was all he said, still in habit of keeping a wall up around his thoughts between her since the argument so many years before.

Her grin faded as Rian walked past the white gate, no girl in arm. He waved at the group of his friends as he started to walk over to them. Alex turned back to Kara and cleared his throat, reaching to the growing plate of hot dogs and burgers.

“What did you want?” he asked.

“Where’s Cass?”

“They broke up,” Alex whispered, eying Zack as he watched Kara’s expression grow darker.

“Babe,” the bassist tried but she crossed her arms, ready to direct another question at Alex.

“Why?”

“I’m not getting into this conflict,” the singer raised his hands and went over to greet his friend, “Hello, Rian.”

“Hey, Alex.”

“So things are really through with you and Cassadee?” he asked carefully.

“Yeah. I realized what I was letting go of too late when it came to Kara, I also realized how horrible Cass was being to everyone. Sorry I kept her in our lives.”

“Well, if you don’t mind having Jack’s seconds again, Mia is always there. She reminds me a lot of Kara… not that you should base a relationship off of her, but you get what I’m saying. Anyway, good luck!”

Rian smirked, “I’m perfectly fine.”

“Daddy-a!”

Alex turned around to see Johnny making a disgusted face and pointing at his shoe, “What?”

“Baz pooped.”

He smiled before turning back to Rian and placing a hand on his shoulder, “Have fun, enjoy your last few nights home before touring.”

Alex bent down and picked up the mess that his dog had made with the bag he kept in his pocket. He scooped Johnny up and carried him into the house, removing his shoes and tossing them into the basket to be washed. He held out a fresh pair of sneakers and helped the little boy get them on.

“They’re for school, so don’t ruin them.”

“I won’t,” he kicked a couple times before looking up into Alex’s eyes, “can I ask you question?”
“Yeah honey.”

“How come Zack married a girl?”

He sighed, not realizing how quickly he would have to deal with this. “Well most boys marry girls.”

“Why did you marry a boy?”

“Because I fell in love with Jack, when people love each other that’s what they do, get married. Some people might tell you that it’s not okay for two boys or two girls to get married, but it is. If anyone gives you a problem about me and your dad, you let me know.”

“Will I marry a boy too?”

“I don’t know. You don’t have to. Marry whoever you love,” he kissed Johnny on the cheek, “Come on, we’re going to miss out on the s'mores!”
♠ ♠ ♠
THE END :)

Sorry it took me so long!